U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM

14,447 posts, read 8,411,741 times

Advertisements

I guess there was no fine to collect from the madman who chased this guy for 15 miles. I police really have no incentive to stop crime or catch criminals: they are modern day tax collectors and little more. Oh yeah and, occasionally, they kill some random innocent person:

Police: Man said enraged motorist chased him 15 miles - CNN.com

The last time I called the police (and never again) was much like this. Some guy was driving like a maniac, cutting in and out of traffic and almost hitting people. It was the first and last time I ever called on someone like that. They didn't care. They put me on hold, transferred me from town to town to town, never once asked for a description or a license plate. Then the guy literally ran a car off the road and sped out of my view, and I hung up. Completely worthless. Oh yeah, and later I tried to get the state to run the plate number and they told me I had to pay a ton of money if I wanted to do that. If you live in a free state do yourself a favor and just buy a gun for protection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

29,097 posts, read 24,192,718 times
If the cops had gotten involved, he might have ended up killed by them.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM

46,038 posts, read 32,613,189 times
So buy yourself a gun is your answer?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM

27,310 posts, read 14,640,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM

14,447 posts, read 8,411,741 times
Quote:
What is the other solution? And buying a gun in this state is not an answer because you can't leave your house with it. And if you did shoot an intruder in your house you would likely go to jail for it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,815,870 times
What about the cop they think this same guy might have killed? Surely he was armed.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 17,478,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

They put me on hold, transferred me from town to town to town, never once asked for a description or a license plate. Then the guy literally ran a car off the road and sped out of my view, and I hung up.
Boy, this really sounds like my story! Once I was driving in Sarasota and called 911 because I witnessed a person driving erratically, weaving in and out of traffic. Even with my windows up, I could hear the screeching as he slammed into another vehicle. I wish I could have stopped to help, but I was crossing a bridge near an interstate exit and I couldn't see a safe place to pull over, plus there were cars in back of me. Then he (or she) took the ramp onto I-75 so the dispatcher told me she had to transfer me to the Highway Patrol since that was no longer their jurisdiction. I was on hold and had to describe the situation all over again. I can't remember if I was ever connected to the Highway Patrol because I was put on hold more than once. I couldn't talk on my cell while driving in the rain and said I needed to hang up. I kid you not..that was the end of the story! This happened several years ago, so I hope things are better now.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,110,303 times
Quote:

When seconds count, the cops are minutes away. It's always best to be able to have the ability to defend yourself, be it with a gun or without. In many instances the damage has already been done, after the cops have shown up.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM

5,094 posts, read 4,777,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
When seconds count, the cops are minutes away. It's always best to be able to have the ability to defend yourself, be it with a gun or without. In many instances the damage has already been done, after the cops have shown up.

The role of the police is to "take reports" and "assign blame". They do not fight crime. You have to call Batman for that.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM

12,464 posts, read 5,760,743 times
Quote:
You are being chased by an enraged motorist for 15 miles. The cops don't give a crap. If he'd had a gun, he might have survived. He didn't have one and died. So yeah, it would have been a very good idea for him to have a gun. You got a better solution genius?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies