Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Decriminalization of marijuana might. Probably will. Probably help them win too, regardless of what their party affiliation is. People, real people, are SICK TO DEATH of this fight.
If that were the case, you would be addressing the president as president Paul right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Decriminalization of marijuana might. Probably will. Probably help them win too, regardless of what their party affiliation is. People, real people, are SICK TO DEATH of this fight.
3rd party candidates have made it a big part of their agenda. Unfortunately, we operate in a 2 party system. The voters themselves share the blame on that one. Sure, the system was designed around that, but change has to come from within, because the people benefiting from the system as it is sure aren't going to change things up.

I would venture to guess, if a candidate came out in favor of decriminalization, they would take an unusually large chunk of the young adult vote. Better yet, they would bring out a ton of young people who would have otherwise stayed home on election day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If that were the case, you would be addressing the president as president Paul right now...
There were plenty of young people who were energized by Ron Paul. Problem is, he scared the establishment, and they wouldn't have any of it. I think the problem is the system. A candidate who spoke about decriminalization or outright legalization would scare the pants off the people living in the states where the primaries are held.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
I don't smoke pot.. Never will. I am in favor of legalization with some stipulations, however all the bloviating about all the benefits of legalization is starting to turn me the other way. It's getting old. Pot just isn't that high on the radar screen for most Americans and going over the top with all the ranting is not going to ingratiate people to jump on board..
Oh really. I think Colorado would disagree with you lol Seriously, it's becoming a major issue now. Why are we throwing people in jail for this. Let's just make it legal and move on.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
I don't smoke pot.. Never will. I am in favor of legalization with some stipulations, however all the bloviating about all the benefits of legalization is starting to turn me the other way. It's getting old. Pot just isn't that high on the radar screen for most Americans and going over the top with all the ranting is not going to ingratiate people to jump on board..

the fact that keeping pot illegal for 76 years has done absolutely no good has merits.. the legalization of pot will create tens of thousands of private sector jobs, clean out tens of thousands from prisons, and create billions in revenue for the states is a big deal.. all the wrong people are getting super wealthy from pot prohibition..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh really. I think Colorado would disagree with you lol Seriously, it's becoming a major issue now. Why are we throwing people in jail for this. Let's just make it legal and move on.
Colorado is not the entire country.. Look, I support the legalization but it's not going to happen on the national level and it will remain a federal offense even in the states that have legalized it. It is a major issue in a few areas of the country. A handful of states, but it hasn't turned the corner to be acceptable by the main stream at this point. It will be years in the future before it is. I agree. I am sick to death of the war on drugs. It was never a war that our government ever had any intention of winning. Our government actually has contributed to the success of the cartels and illegal drug industry as a whole. The federal prohibition on all drugs as well as marijuana isn't going anywhere.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:

ya if it were not a big deal their wouldn't be hundreds of thousand imprisoned for smoking a plant that is ten times safer than alcohol..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the fact that keeping pot illegal for 76 years has done absolutely no good has merits.. the legalization of pot will create tens of thousands of private sector jobs, clean out tens of thousands from prisons, and create billions in revenue for the states is a big deal.. all the wrong people are getting super wealthy from pot prohibition..
I read it the first 15 times you posted it..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Colorado is not the entire country.. Look, I support the legalization but it's not going to happen on the national level and it will remain a federal offense even in the states that have legalized it. It is a major issue in a few areas of the country. A handful of states, but it hasn't turned the corner to be acceptable by the main stream at this point. It will be years in the future before it is. I agree. I am sick to death of the war on drugs. It was never a war that our government ever had any intention of winning. Our government actually has contributed to the success of the cartels and illegal drug industry as a whole. The federal prohibition on all drugs as well as marijuana isn't going anywhere.
I agree, but someday it will be legal. But until then we need to lay off throwing them in jail.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I figure within ten years most states will legalize it, just to much money to be made..

Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I agree, but someday it will be legal. But until then we need to lay off throwing them in jail.
In most states, it is basically a traffic ticket for minor possession. A fine. Where you end up doing time for it is distribution and sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies