Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And you are the guy who thinks marijuana causes cannibalism.

At least you have found someone on this thread with a similar level of credibility on the topic.
I have not said it causes cannibalism. It is a proven fact that it can trigger mental illness and psychosis. People experiencing psychosis can do very unpredictable things, like the Miami man who cannibalized the face of a homeless man while in marijuana induced psychosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's the official diagnosis. Marijuana was the trigger.

We were told we carry a schizoid gene that can be triggered by marijuana use. Unfortunately, my uncle had it and went from normal to full blow schizophrenia in less than six months after starting to use pot.

It doesn't cause in the sense that everyone who uses will get it but is seems to up your odds. It was what pushed my uncle over the edge. Unfortunately, he couldn't just stop using and become normal again.

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

" Experts estimate that between 8% and 13% of all schizophrenia cases are linked to marijuana / cannabis use during teen years."

My uncle was just 18 when he was drafted and started using in while in the military. Less than a year later, he was diagnosed with full blown schizophrenia (he was normal when he left home), discharged from the army and sent home....well sent to a mental hospital where he was eventually released but was seldom under control for the rest of his short life.

We have been advised to avoid all contact with marijuana. I have vivid memories of my uncle from childhood so I'll take that advice which came from doctors not posters on a bulletin board.
These findings are in line with dozens of other medical studies I have linked here during discussions like this one.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
look up the official statistics

The 6 Most Common Causes of Automobile Crashes

Common Causes of Road Accidents | Department of Police, State Government of Jharkhand, India

Car Crash Fatality Statistics | Statistic Brain

Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road.
your words^^^^

still don't see slow driving on any list
ok cruxan, you just trumped me with that link from Jharkhand PD.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have not said it causes cannibalism. It is a proven fact that it can trigger mental illness and psychosis. People experiencing psychosis can do very unpredictable things, like the Miami man who cannibalized the face of a homeless man while in marijuana induced psychosis.

but you seem to bring up the story one every single weed thread digging the bottom of the barrel must be getting old!!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Not hell bent. A person cannot drink themselves into a stupor every night and still function; at least not productively. Do you even see how you are rationalizing the irrational? A person can function indefinitely on weed. I reiterate, you are trying to rationalize alcohol vs. pot, and it's an insane premise.

Have you ever actually smoked pot? Do you drink alcohol?

If you have, you'd know the difference. Since you take the position you do, I'd bet my house you've never smoked pot. If you had, you'd be on my side of this argument.

YOU are a product of lame uninformed propaganda. They told you how to think, and that's exactly how you think.

Before you go there; my drug of choice is alcohol. How ironic is that? I haven't smoked pot in decades, but it's certainly a lot safer, and way less debilitating.

Look, I don't blame you for your attitude. I'm just trying to reason with people who have been trained to have an ignorant view towards a thing wrongly.

I grew up in the 1970s.

I first smoked pot in 1972.

The last time I smoked pot was in 1993.

There is no comparison between the potency of the pot available in the 1970s and that in the 1990s.

Today, marijuana is far more potent than at any point in the past.

I began using tobacco in 1973.

After nearly a decade of smoking a pack a day, I quit in 1982 and never smoked again.

I also used alcohol, but that started later in life.

My initial moderate alcohol use would eventually become a two-fifth per day addiction.

In between my first use of marijuana in 1972 and my last drink in 1996, I used a variety of common street drugs on a regular basis to include cocaine.

For four decades, I witnessed first-hand what specific drugs did and did not do to myself and the people around me.

Before you miss the point once again, it isn't that people harm themselves with marijuana or that the effects are more sever than some other substance.

It is precisely because the user may continue using without life events forcing a change as is often the case with alcohol, cocaine or other addictive substances that marijuana is able to work its long-term damage.

It is children of pot users who will suffer the most, and yes, I consider exposure to drug use child abuse.

You'll see where the user ends up in life, and that's their problem, but the child is certain to follow in their parent's stumbling goalless footsteps through no fault of their own.

When "What were we just talking about?" becomes a huge unsolvable mystery, parenting, working, driving or anything else that involves the safety and well-being other people needs to proactively addressed.

So where's my new house?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, I hear you on that one. 26+% tax, are you kidding me. I have to laugh at some of the so called libertarians who are going along with that. If I smoked (I don't), I would be happy with being able to grow my own and leave it at that.
Here in Humboldt county they initiated a grow tax for those that exceed 6 times the normal household usage and in Arcata over two months that amounted to $50,000 in tax dollars refunded to the city from P G & E power company. The city had to front up $650,000 to them to start the program and the city gets the refund at the end of the year and that $50,000 was just from November and December. The program was started to slow down the rampant growth of grow houses taking over the town. The tax they want to impose if it becomes legal, is $45 per ounce when it is sold at the clubs and that has driven the price at the clubs to $300 per ounce for common grade and higher for more potent strains, yet on the street the price is $200 an ounce for the top grade and down as low as $2000 a pound for run of the mill pot. No matter what, money is being made and shuffled around and here in Humboldt it is sometimes 1/3 of the county's intake of money for the year and one year it exceeded 1 billion dollars, but it was going for more than $5,000 a pound at the time. I have only been up here since 92 and the war on pot up here started in the late 70's to early 80's with military helicopters and personnel that lasted up to the mid 90's. We watched them fly in and drop off troops in groups of 20 or 30 that would storm a property searching the woods and then later watch them fly in to retrieve huge nets of pot plants, we would sit out on the bluff and watch them with our binoculars and have iced tea. I think one should be able to grow a few plants right in with your vegetables or flowers and if it were legal to do so, why steal a few buds when one can grow their own plant or two. It really does grow like a weed

Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
What ELSE was he on at the time....

Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

It is precisely because the user may continue using without life events forcing a change as is often the case with alcohol, cocaine or other addictive substances that marijuana is able to work its long-term damage.

It is children of pot users who will suffer the most, and yes, I consider exposure to drug use child abuse.

You'll see where the user ends up in life, and that's their problem, but the child is certain to follow in their parent's stumbling goalless footsteps through no fault of their own.

When "What were we just talking about?" becomes a huge unsolvable mystery, parenting, working, driving or anything else that involves the safety and well-being other people needs to proactively addressed.

So where's my new house?
I grew up in the 60's and 70's as well
What long term damage would that be?..I'm aware of the damage from cocaine, and especially alcohol, but not marijuana.
Are you also concerned for the children whose parents sit down after work and have a drink and a smoke?.
Do you believe that children of pot smokers are destined to fail in life?
Do you feel pot smokers are irresponsible towards others well being?
I can ASSURE you, that's NOT the case.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
There is currently no way to road test pot impaired drivers, and that alone is a good enough reason. It is also a major contributor to mental health issues, which drives health care costs up.
No way, and no need to....pot is not a "major contributor to mental illness"...lack of pot, maybe
It's the multitude of toxic synthetic mind altering prescription drugs that doctors soooo love to prescribe that are the MAJOR problem.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No way, and no need to....pot is not a "major contributor to mental illness"...lack of pot, maybe
It's the multitude of toxic synthetic mind altering prescription drugs that doctors soooo love to prescribe that are the MAJOR problem.
I agree with you on that, I know more people that cannot get off of vicodins or oxycontin and one friends daughter is thinking of doing a vicodin intervention, the last time her Mom babysat her grandkids, the daughter came home to find her Mom dancing around the living room like an ex flower child from the 60's and the next day her Mom could not remember doing that. Many in my family have a problem with alcohol, cigarettes or both, my nephew thought he was doing good by switching from smoking to chewing, then I told him about the increased risk of pancreatic cancer from chewing. Now his problem is drinking Crown Royal and says he is starting a collection of the bottles and purple velvet bags. I do not know of anyone having an accident because they were smoking pot, but know many that have from drinking and driving, a few have died. Unfortunately, grow house pot is almost as bad, if not worse then cigarettes when it comes to chemicals used to get the plant to full stage. I only smoke organically grown pot, not laced with 50 to 70 different chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies