Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have not said it causes cannibalism. It is a proven fact that it can trigger mental illness and psychosis. People experiencing psychosis can do very unpredictable things, like the Miami man who cannibalized the face of a homeless man while in marijuana induced psychosis.
These studies have shown a link between marijuana use and psychosis in those with psychotic predispositions. That is not the same as saying "marijuana causes psychosis". That is saying, marijuana aggravates and amplifies the effects of psychosis, or can jump start the disease for those with underline predispositions. People experiencing mental illnesses should avoid drugs like this, as well as alcohol. Guess what... Psychotic people and booze don't go well together either. That doesn't mean we should tell everybody not to drink.

One thing I did find fascinated in nursing school was my mental health classes. Something like 90% of people suffering from psychosis smoke cigarettes. Apparently, drugs in the cigarettes help sooth many of the symptoms, and it's not just the nicotine either. Not related, but I found that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Marijuana, Cannabis and Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

" Experts estimate that between 8% and 13% of all schizophrenia cases are linked to marijuana / cannabis use during teen years."

An important thing to consider is many of those people who display negative effects are not just smoking marijuana. It safe to say a large number of them are using hard drugs, at least occasionally. This is one of the major problems with marijuana prohibition. It forces the user to seek the drug on the black market, where they are exposed to other, much more dangerous and harmful drugs. This is particularly true for young users who can get their hands on anything in HS... And they do. Our #1 goal should be to eliminate the black market demand all together. It's bad news not only for drugs users, but for everyone exposed to the violence in this country, and elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Can anyone name ONE reason to continue on with the failed prohibition of pot?
How exactly do you define "fail?"

Continuing...

Mircea

Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How exactly do you define "fail?"

Continuing...

Mircea
Well, the war can't officially be a failed effort until its conclusion. Seeing as how there is no end in sight, I guess we can only call it a stalemate or a blunderous quagmire. Our nation has a prominent history of starting or entering costly wars that are not winnable. This is a prime example. Eventually, we will turn with out tails between our legs, throw down our arms, and pretend it never happened.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I grew up in the 60's and 70's as well
What long term damage would that be?..I'm aware of the damage from cocaine, and especially alcohol, but not marijuana.
Are you also concerned for the children whose parents sit down after work and have a drink and a smoke?.
Do you believe that children of pot smokers are destined to fail in life?
Do you feel pot smokers are irresponsible towards others well being?
I can ASSURE you, that's NOT the case.

Most drug users believe their drug of choice to be a better choice than less preferred drugs, but the choice to use any drug is a bad choice.

A drug does one of two things.

It either makes you feel like more of a winner or less of a loser, but it's all a lie because giving yourself over to drug use means you've already stopped caring which one you really are.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Well, the war can't officially be a failed effort until its conclusion. Seeing as how there is no end in sight, I guess we can only call it a stalemate or a blunderous quagmire. Our nation has a prominent history of starting or entering costly wars that are not winnable. This is a prime example. Eventually, we will turn with out tails between our legs, throw down our arms, and pretend it never happened.
It is a law enforcement effort, and no one ever said it would eradicate drug use completely. It's goal is to keep it under control the best we can. Cocaine use is down 40%, as a result of efforts in S.America so it is doing some good.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Most drug users believe their drug of choice to be a better choice than less preferred drugs, but the choice to use any drug is a bad choice.

It either makes you feel like more of a winner or less of a loser, but it's all a lie because giving yourself over to drug use means you've already stopped caring which one you really are.
I sense much win in this one.

Shown? 1 Oz. of not giving a %$#%. (Care, that word was care.) Care in the world.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

I agree with that. And I agree with Dennis Miller who said that America is going to start looking like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure Part III. LOL!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
This is coming from someone who does not smoke pot mind you. Can anyone really name ONE good reason for the continued war on pot? Is this a winnable war when so many Americans, particularly young adults either use the drug, or sympathize with it's users?

I used to feel more strongly about this issue when I was younger. I guess since I entered adulthood, it became a non issue and something I really was indifferent towards. Entering into the workforce, I was far removed from the people who would actually smoke pot in the first place. To a certain extent, it's a matter of out of sight, out of mind.

What reminded me of my youth was, when visiting friends back home around Christmas, the same HS friends who never used the drug are all using it today. These were the "smart" kids, the high performing college grads with engineering degrees, IT degrees, business degrees, etc. So if these types are toking up well into adulthood, shouldn't it be obvious that the war on drugs, or at least pot, is unwinnable? At the very least, could we agree that any benefits are not worth the enormous social, economic and financial implications?

More importantly, as a tax payer, I have to ask... Is MY MONEY being spent wisely? This has nothing to do with conservative vs libs... I consider myself more so on the right. So as a prudent saver who works hard for his money, I find it frustrating to see my tax dollars being squandered for no realized good at all. How long has this "war" gone on? What have we accomplished in that frame of time?

Personally, if the drug was legalized tomorrow, it wouldn't effect my life. I'm old enough to make my own decisions based on evidence and past exposure to the world as it is. I don't need a giant, overreaching sissy nanny government to tell me what I should and should not put in my body. Basically, the sissy nanny state has done no service for me by hampering the floor of narcotics into this nation. Perhaps the government operates with the premise that we are too reckless and stupid to make mature, grown up decisions well into our adult years?

I like my beer, and never in excess. So as long as the booze flows free in America, I have no need to seek further inebriation. But some folks prefer pot, and I don't feel there is anything wrong with that either. After all, who am I to judge? And with that... Who is the government to judge, and who are they to wage this massive, behemoth of a war on millions of otherwise honest and law abiding citizens?

Discuss
There isn't a good reason! History has shown that prohibition is an absolute failure that only creates a black market, and potentially criminalizes more Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't have a good reason, but I have a reason it isn't being made legal on a national basis. There is too much money in it for the government. If you legalize pot, you need less federal law enforcement, such as the DEA. The border patrol could be reduced in size and scope. Plus have you ever wondered why some cartels in Mexico flourish and others are destroyed? Ask your government. They pick the winners and losers in this war.

And this is a bad thing, why?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Mike Huckabee will put an end to the madness in CO and WA when he wins the White House.

Finn, you are delusional! Huckabee is NOT going to win the White House! He sure as Hell isn't going to get the votes from people in CO and WA given his stance on cannabis, and considering the people there spoke, and voted for legalization.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Children are children and adults are supposed to protect children. Children don't yet know the consequences of the decisions they make so it's up to adults to keep temptation out of their easy reach. Seriously, who would you blame if your neighbor left his gun out and loaded in his yard and your child hopped the fence and shot himself? Your neighbor for failing to put the gun away or your child for hopping the fence? Who is more culpable? The child who didn't resist something tempting he had easy access to or the adult who gave him easy access?

It's really quite simple! Tell your kids to stay the HELL off of other people's property!

And besides, many kids would not consider taking leaves off of a plant that will continue to grow as stealing. If taking parts of plants is a crime, I've been an criminal since I first picked lilacs off of the neighbor's bush and my kids are really criminals because when they were small we had a rabbit who loved dandelion greens and they'd just grab them from along the fences of neighbor's houses. We're a family of criminals, lol. This is something kids do and don't think anything of. It's up to adults to make sure they are not putting something within the reach of children that can harm them. Kids just don't know it all. That's why we distinguish between kids and adults legally.

You cannot get high from picking leaves off of the plant! At any rate it's up to YOU as a parent to teach your kids not to touch what doesn't belong to you! If my son went and picked a flower out of my neighbor's garden without his permission, my neighbor would be furious! I would also tan his backside if he did something like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies