Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

And keep in mind, originally all the old lady wanted mcdonalds to do was pay for her medical bills. While the original award became the rallying cry for reform, the original award was correct, and was later reduced on appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I can self inflict some pretty gruesome injuries with my utility blades. Even if this were done accidentally, does that entitle me to a large settlement? I mean, blades are sharp. Common sense, right? But there again, there was a women 20 years ago that did not know coffee was hot... Something she surely knows today.
You sound totally ignorant about this case. Go watch the film "Hot Coffee"

Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
The verdict 20 years ago was the correct one. McDonalds was heating their coffee to dangerous temperatures and they knew it. The burns the woman suffered were horrific.

Not sure about this latest lawsuit.
Just an observation,

Fries just out of the frier bagged and sold are MUCH hotter than that coffee was, so if a customer jams a handful of fresh hot fries in their mouth and burns themselves, the restaurant is responsible? Do you know how hot those fries are?? Almost twice the temperature of the hot coffee. FOOD, when served right after being cooked, which includes coffee after being brewed is HOT.

The idea that a restaurant is responsible for a customer burning themselves on food served hot from being cooked, that's inane.

Some restaurants serve their steaks on specially hot plates, to keep the food hot. What happens when you grab that plate and burn yourself right after the waiter or waitress tells you it's hot?

The woman who suffered the burns was complicit in the injury. SHE chose to take a cup of hot coffee and place it between her legs and then remove the lid keeping it safely in the cup!!!

Quote:
Stella Liebeck, 79 years old, was sitting in the passenger seat of her grandson’s car having purchased a cup of McDonald’s coffee. After the car stopped, she tried to hold the cup securely between her knees while removing the lid.
Yes, she received severe burns, and yes it required medical attention, but let's look at the action that led to this. SHE placed the HOT coffee cup between her legs and removed the lid, and then spilled it on herself.

If you buy a lawnmower, and run over your foot chopping half your foot off, is the company who made the lawnmower, or sold you the lawnmower responsible?

Dangerously hot or not, it was the woman, who CHOSE to place a cup of hot liquid, (which even at 160 degrees would have burned her), between her legs, and remove the lid holding it in the cup, WHILE in a car.

I feel bad that she burned herself, but for her own actions, this would not have happened.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
McDonald's didn't endear themselves during that time by trying to offer her a refund on the coffee (or some other paltry sum at the time).

Seriously, go read up on all the facts of the case. McDonald's was in the wrong. The fact that people like Jay Leno made all kinds of jokes about it during that time doesn't change the facts of the case.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
I followed this case over the years and McDonalds did not do anything over many complaints of coffee being hotter than the coolent in your car at driving temp which will scald you to the bone if a hose broke at that temp. The woman almost died, had to have many skin grafts and the settlement was reduced to some 400k if I remember correctly. I would have to follow the new case to see if it has merit, but the right who want reform wants to give a pass to big business like they do the rich in taxes. Its just that simple.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I followed this case over the years and McDonalds did not do anything over many complaints of coffee being hotter than the coolent in your car at driving temp which will scald you to the bone if a hose broke at that temp. The woman almost died, had to have many skin grafts and the settlement was reduced to some 400k if I remember correctly. I would have to follow the new case to see if it has merit, but the right who want reform wants to give a pass to big business like they do the rich in taxes. Its just that simple.
Exactly. Their idea of a "free market" often means virtually no protection for the consumer, even if a corporation acts in malevolent fashion.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The woman actually got 1st degree burns and required a skin graft so, yeah, the coffee was way to frigging hot.
Skin graft for a 1st degree burn? I think you might have that mixed up there.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Corporations and the gvts number one job is too protect the stupid

Old 01-11-2014, 08:35 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
You sound totally ignorant about this case. Go watch the film "Hot Coffee"
LOL They actually made a movie!

I do believe the first lady's lawsuit was legit, this one not so sure.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Just an observation,

Fries just out of the frier bagged and sold are MUCH hotter than that coffee was, so if a customer jams a handful of fresh hot fries in their mouth and burns themselves, the restaurant is responsible? Do you know how hot those fries are?? Almost twice the temperature of the hot coffee. FOOD, when served right after being cooked, which includes coffee after being brewed is HOT.

The idea that a restaurant is responsible for a customer burning themselves on food served hot from being cooked, that's inane.

Some restaurants serve their steaks on specially hot plates, to keep the food hot. What happens when you grab that plate and burn yourself right after the waiter or waitress tells you it's hot?

The woman who suffered the burns was complicit in the injury. SHE chose to take a cup of hot coffee and place it between her legs and then remove the lid keeping it safely in the cup!!!

Yes, she received severe burns, and yes it required medical attention, but let's look at the action that led to this. SHE placed the HOT coffee cup between her legs and removed the lid, and then spilled it on herself.

If you buy a lawnmower, and run over your foot chopping half your foot off, is the company who made the lawnmower, or sold you the lawnmower responsible?

Dangerously hot or not, it was the woman, who CHOSE to place a cup of hot liquid, (which even at 160 degrees would have burned her), between her legs, and remove the lid holding it in the cup, WHILE in a car.

I feel bad that she burned herself, but for her own actions, this would not have happened.
You do make some good points, after all, who wants lukewarm coffee. When I order something hot I assume it's hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies