Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
What commercial material does he have, you operate on the assumption that Macklemore is commercial without proving it.

Again what street stuff was he doing?
I already answered these questions. You disagree so you want to keep asking it over and over again. Macklemore music is commercial and isn't hiphop. If you want other opinions, give me about a hour so I can Google, create accounts, and post for other opinions of online hiphop sites just so you can see for yourself the type of response I get if they don't ban me first.. Other than waiting for that to be done, view my and Chin_Muzik_NJ answers to the questions you keep asking.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 AM

733 posts, read 939,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I already answered these questions. You disagree so you want to keep asking it over and over again. Macklemore music is commercial and isn't hiphop. If you want other opinions, give me about a hour so I can Google, create accounts, and post for other opinions of online hiphop sites just so you can see for yourself the type of response I get if they don't ban me first.. Other than waiting for that to be done, view my and Chin_Muzik_NJ answers to the questions you keep asking.
You didn't answer either of them, you just say he's commercial without giving any examples of his material or how he's commercial.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
You didn't answer either of them, you just say he's commercial without giving any examples of his material or how he's commercial.
The songs that he released are the examples. I thought that was obvious. You then disagreed because his song mentioned gays. I then rebutted by saying "That's like saying if Britney Spears sings about gay people that she wouldn't still be a commercial artist." His videos, the way he's being promoted, etc says commercial to me especially so in the world of hiphop music. Chin_Muzik_NJ stated: "But let's make one thing very clear, Macklemore was trying to resonate with a MUCH bigger audience than the conventional hip-hop audience of the last 25 years or so." Then you asked the same question 2 more times because you do not agree or like my answer. Macklemore is not underground hiphop, he's not main stream hiphop, and I believe that his music is influenced by it, but it's no more hiphop than MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice was back in the 90s. I'm joining several sites and will ask about Macklemore in a non bias way so that you don'y have to just take my word for it.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's always black art forms that are subject to cultural appropriation. He raised a good point. Latin Americans, though they speak Spanish, can't go to Spain and dictate the direction of the country.

Lord Jamar White Rappers Are Guests In Hip Hop - YouTube
I agree with him. I am a Reggae music fan, and as far as I am concerned, REAL Reggae comes from and belongs to Jamaicans. A lot of good Reggae comes from Africa and England (by JA in England), but the root of Reggae is still JA.

To me music represents a culture and experience, to a certain degree. The BLUES represented the black culture and experience back in the Delta region back in the time of legal segregation and it reflected black life through music. Hip Hop is the modern Blues in that it is reflecting black life of today's black youth. Reggae is the same. It represents the life and culture of JA. Really.....when I listen to Reggae and find that the artist is American and faking Jamaican accent and patois.....it loses something with me. Its "Fake".

Now....I like MnM, partly cause he from Michigan too, because he raps about "white life" or his life. He is not trying to fake like he from the hood and lived the "black culture". Hell....even many black rappers are faking it. I dare so most of them, when it comes down to all the "street grinding and work" they claim in the music.

Now....one of my favorite rappers is Danny Brown out of Detroit. I liked him when not to many people knew about him. His lyrics and raps were DEEP about urban life. However, he did not blow up as an artist until white folks started digging on him. They gravitated more to his raunchy side and lyrics about sex and drug use than his urban tales. Thus, those white fans and dollars changed the direction of his music....and consequently I do not like his newer stuff as much.

This is hip Hop (Old Danny).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeTqiKMWE4Y

This is trash (New Danny)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbrJCKzPZg0

The latter is what happens when white demographics end up changing the direction of an artist to rap about what they will support with their dollars and create success for them.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-12-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Macklemores gay love song was maybe not out to galvanize the biggest audience possible....no artist can do that, let alone a "hip-hop" artist. I can't see Macklemore being big with the 40-70 y.o demographic. But let's make one thing very clear, Macklemore was trying to resonate with a MUCH bigger audience than the conventional hip-hop audience of the last 25 years or so.
He's admitted as much. Everyone should attempt to expand the audience.

That doesn't make him any less hip hop to me.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No......he was one of its creators.
Yes, and one of the best, RIP Jimmy.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Origins of rock and roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Hip Hop started as as a blend of Jamaican toasting and dub, and the sampling and manipulation of 70s German electronic music.

Only Jamaicans and Germans -residing in the Bronx- should have a say in the direction of Hip Hop.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Jon Connor - Don't Wanna Be ft Lia Mack - YouTube

This is what happens before a Hip Hop artist crosses over to main stream. It becomes BS after that.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Rock and Roll was started by blacks. Riffs find their origins in Blues. You obviously don't know music.

Rock n Roll itself was a white invention rather than being black. It was blues based sure but it was changed within the first few years. While there was Chuck Berry, the first real rock guitarist was Bill Haley. Chuck was still very blues based which would continue to influence British rock and metal through the early days of Sabbath and Purple. It's not cut and dry.

As for metal as I've mentioned blues influenced it but besides Hendrix who influenced American metal guitarists, Bad Brains, Living Colour and Sevendust; the blacks have been "passengers" to use the rhetoric of the rapper. I'm not saying it as a bad thing but many are influenced by other types of music like R&B, pop, hip-hop and soul.

Now I throw this.

He clearly forgets who are some of the most influential people in hip-hop past, present and even future. Rick Rubin (a white guy) created Def Jam Records, (Def) America Records and produced many rappers both black and white. Run DMC while black used white music (you know metal and hard rock guitars) and brought rap it's first hit with their version of "Walk This Way" (a cover by a white band named Aerosmith.) Then (more importantly) Beastie Boys were white and brought rap to new heights with their mix of rap, rock and electronic music. These people influenced people for years to come. And I am not even getting into Public Enemy for their version of Bring tha Noize with Anthrax and Eminem.

To me, music doesn't have race borders, it is the individual who does. You can be black and do punk and metal and you can be white and sing the blues (it's called country) or rap (hip-hop, crunkcore, rapcore or rap metal.) Music styles aren't mutually exclusive, it's how the individual is moved and wish to get their inner most thoughts out and express themselves. Any form of art (acting, music, painting, sculpting) does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies