Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
The sarcasm is biting. LMAO.

Well, I didn't mean it to be biting, just to make a point. More and more black people are getting economic power, and a whole lot of them are in Hip Hop and Rap.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times
yes thats true. So why did they abandon it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Rock and Roll was started by blacks. Riffs find their origins in Blues. You obviously don't know music.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
That statement is about as stupid as saying that America is for white people and Balcks are guests. LOL But what can you expect from a performer of rap? It is one of the most brain dead forms of entertainment on the planet. Yelling in a mic in a sophomoric form of rhyme and cadence is not sophisticated art and does not take a great mind to yell about your hos and biotches, call each other dog and slaughter the English language so badly you need to almost have it translated. LMAO Its like asking the garbage man to produce something of value from the fermenting ooze leaking from the garbage truck. Bach, Mozart and Chopin would vomit at hearing the first 2 min of any of this ooze. No one will be talking about any of these idiots in 100 years.
Your assessment of it may apply to the current era but not at its inception. It was one of the most sophisticated art forms to have ever been cultivated in US history. It was one of the first genres of music to replace instruments with technology. A DJ using various vinyl records at one time to create an entire new sound is by no stretch a brain dead task. Being an emcee to keep the crowd engaged is an effort in itself. Only a few people have the merit in doing that.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Who were these large numbers of blacks who voluntarily migrated to the USA? Emphasis large numbers, which the word "many" implies.

Couldn't be from the Caribbean as the vast majority of blacks living there were enslaved. Doubt from Africa. So who are these "many"?

In addition, after the 1650s who many white slaves existed?
UH; the Black people from Jamaica and so on came to the US as FREE people. Sheesh!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What culture are you griping about. If its the gangsta element of hip hop I can say the same about the violent element of heavy metal (preferred by young white supremacists groups globally) and grunge which some argue legitimized drug use, and some argue suicide.

Because a negative sub element becomes influential over an art form doesn't negate that art form for its fans. I hate heavy metal because to me its incoherent noise, and nothing to do with the young white disaffected bigots who like it.
Stereotype much?

Quite a few metal fans across the globe would take issue with your assessment of them.

http://youtu.be/5lawY78EMRY

Last edited by FatBob96; 01-19-2014 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: added video

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
By the way, I saw your post claiming Rock was Black music. I disagree. First, if anything it has African American roots. Black people from elsewhere were not singing the Blues or other Southern genres. Second, African Americans were developing their music both from their African roots as well as European influences. There was syncretism going on. When those early genres are embraced more openly by Euro Americans, they allow for even greated syncretism with more mainstream trends as well as allowing exposure to a large population base for pure individual creativity. Rock as we know it today is an American genre in its true sense. It has way too many influences from many regions of Americana for any one group to lay claim on it. But you still have to give credit to African American as the early progenitors.

I never said rock was black music.
I said rock has it's roots in the blues.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
UH; the Black people from Jamaica and so on came to the US as FREE people. Sheesh!
During the time that slavery existed in the Western Hemisphere, there were plenty of Africans that came on their own by choice or as free people and lived free as well as their descendants.

I'm tired of people thinking that all Africans came as slaves. There were plenty of free blacks and free people of color in and during colonial America.

And there were plenty of white slaves and slaves of races other than black. It's not rocket science

Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Another interesting fact is that during the colonial and antebellum era of USA history, there are many African Americans that settled in Caribbean nations, Latin American nations etc.

So there has always been traveling of people of color and blacks around the globe between and to various other places. Such very complex history.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM

199 posts, read 161,001 times
Quote:
Mohammed Ali is of part Irish family.
He may have white blood ( due to slavery) in him, but he's not part of the "irish family". The revisionism of black history in america annoys me.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM

199 posts, read 161,001 times
Quote:
D Irish and Scottish worked side by side with and mixed with African Americans.

..and this thread has officially jumped the shark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies