Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If it was President George W. Bush would you have as much sympathy? Probably not.
Yes. In fact, I think both Bush and Obama are bad presidents. But shouldn't family members not in the public eye be kept there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
why is this crossing the line??
this president has wrecked our country
92MILLION does that figure not invoke something in you, anywhere???!!!
I did not know Obama's aunt was collecting this kind of money
hell I work hard and don't make that!!!
what a crock!!!
Obama is a hack is that out of line?? it is??
too bad, it is the truth
President Obama didn't single handidly wreck anything. Both parties put us in this mess. I do agree that his presidency has made it worse.

However, shouldn't his aunt be left out of it? Granted, Obama's disingenuous remarks about never having met someone wanting a free check instead of a job didn't lead to pointing out that maybe he hasn't meant his aunt - but is that fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Or, turn on the TV or internet and see far leftists making excuses for anything that Obama does, explaining what he "really meant" versus what he actually said or did.

It is "pretty much the norm now".
Yes, Obama has been enabled into being a bad president. Candidate Obama could have been a great president, but his supporters refuse to hold him accountable to honesty and the policies he campaigned on.

However, can we justify bringing in private figures like the president's aunt into the public's eye of criticism - even if provided a juicy target based off of Obama's own words of fiction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yes. In fact, I think both Bush and Obama are bad presidents. But shouldn't family members not in the public eye be kept there?
Auntie Z is very much in the public eye. Do a quick search and see how many hits you come up with.
Her sense of entitlement is disgusting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-aunt-zeituni-onyango-the-system-took-advantage-of-me/

Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I love how all the liberals have conveniently forgotten how nasty they were during Bush's eight years. Hypocrites.

As for the story, no, it is not crossing the line. He wants to talk about how much he knows when in fact, he is so out of touch it's unreal.

Also, this:

Quote:
The Mass. welfare department was rechristened the Department of Transitional Assistance. And now U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) is suggesting that welfare nationally be renamed “transitional living fund.”
...is just as stupid as calling illegal aliens, "day laborers". Liberals take the cake when it comes to renaming things to make it appear to be less b.s. The fact is, under that fancy schmancy name, it's still b.s. and everyone knows it.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love how all the liberals have conveniently forgotten how nasty they were during Bush's eight years. Hypocrites.

As for the story, no, it is not crossing the line. He wants to talk about how much he knows when in fact, he is so out of touch it's unreal.

Also, this:

...is just as stupid as calling illegal aliens, "day laborers". Liberals take the cake when it comes to renaming things to make it appear to be less b.s. The fact is, under that fancy schmancy name, it's still b.s. and everyone knows it.

You can call it fertilizer but it is still a load of manure.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Please only respond if you read the article.

Auntie Zeituni makes it "Work" | Boston Herald

The article makes some fair points about the problems with welfare and other assistance programs in America. It also points out Obama's disingenuous remarks about not meeting anyone ever that would rather collect a check on unemployment than have a job.

However, bringing in his aunt who is collecting $ on the public dole and then pointing out how she entered the country illegally...is that not crossing the line as she is NOT a public figure? Yes it shows that Obama's words were delusional or a lie...but should this kind of article be tolerated?
To answer your question--yes it crosses the line. I do not remember anyone bringing up Neil Bush's role in ripping off the country for $1.5 billion during the savings and loan banking collapse, despite how closely the economic collapse under the Bush admin resembled it. I do not see how the actions of a president's relative is relevant to the admin in the same way that extreme right-wing talk show hosts and columnists do. Your title question is extremely disingenuous as you appear to believe it does not cross the line but felt the article should be brought to people's attention.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Auntie Z is very much in the public eye. Do a quick search and see how many hits you come up with.
Her sense of entitlement is disgusting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obamas-aunt-zeituni-onyango-the-system-took-advantage-of-me/
Your link didn't work for me - this one does: Obama's Aunt Zeituni Onyango: The System Took Advantage of Me - CBS News

President Obama's Aunt Zeituni Onyango 'This Country Is Owned By Almighty God' - WBZTV.Boston - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
He doesn't give much info on the Aunt. Is she collecting some kind of welfare? Probably it is common knowledge among his readers since she lives in Boston, but I don't know anything about her. Which btw indicates that she already has some celebrity status, at least in Boston. Presumably as Pres. Obama's Aunt she is over 18, so she is an adult. I don't see this as going over any line. The mention of the Aunt serves as a good hook to grab the reader's attention. Without it, it might be just another recounting of stats about our burgeoning welfare state.

I find it a well-written, succinct piece, and the quote posted by 'TheMore' says it all.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To answer your question--yes it crosses the line. I do not remember anyone bringing up Neil Bush's role in ripping off the country for $1.5 billion during the savings and loan banking collapse, despite how closely the economic collapse under the Bush admin resembled it. I do not see how the actions of a president's relative is relevant to the admin in the same way that extreme right-wing talk show hosts and columnists do. Your title question is extremely disingenuous as you appear to believe it does not cross the line but felt the article should be brought to people's attention.
If you don't remember anyone bringing up Neil Bush, how did you manage to find out about it? Psychic powers?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Please only respond if you read the article.

Auntie Zeituni makes it "Work" | Boston Herald

The article makes some fair points about the problems with welfare and other assistance programs in America. It also points out Obama's disingenuous remarks about not meeting anyone ever that would rather collect a check on unemployment than have a job.

However, bringing in his aunt who is collecting $ on the public dole and then pointing out how she entered the country illegally...is that not crossing the line as she is NOT a public figure? Yes it shows that Obama's words were delusional or a lie...but should this kind of article be tolerated?
Does this article "cross the line"??? I dunno. Does this dress make my ass look fat?

LOL... You wingers on this board have dragged every hit piece on Obama ever written into these pages, regardless how stupid and offensive. What, are you asking us to believe there's a "line" youre squeamish about crossing?

Puhleeeese...

Old 01-12-2014, 03:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Cross a line?

Okay, first off, it isn't an article, it's a column, an anti-Obama screed, rather, without a grain of substance to it, coming from the Boston Herald's notorious hatemonger Howie Carr. I don't think your boy Howie recognizes any line to be crossed. Certainly not any line that has anything to do with accuracy or fairness.

In that light,, it's hard to say whether the personal attacks at a relative of the President are the worst part of the column, or his reference to the President's "shiftless, lowlife base", or his lies about the families receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Families: "it’s not temporary, most of them aren’t needy and that very few of them are real families".

Any way you look at it, once you're taking anything Howie Carr says seriously you're way beyond caring about whether he crossed any particular line of propriety in political commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies