Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,451,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Wow, I thought liberals gave up that ignorant comparison years ago. Nobody is required to buy auto insurance.
Liberals don't all get these secret memos, or communications, or telepathy that keep everyone dittoing the same thing. It's not like liberals have a Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh to think for them...they do it themselves. You do know "liberals" are not like a single hive mind controlling many different people right? This is not news to you, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,397,210 times
This is absurd.

Short-term health policies are very likely medically underwritten. So for a young person who is going without insurance because s/he is healthy, but suddenly finds him or herself in need, well, they may be out of luck. No sane insurance company will write a policy for someone who needs testing or treatment right away.

For all the bitching and moaning about young people being forced to buy insurance, well, THAT'S EXACTLY THE POINT. Our health insurance situation was skewed wildly out of balance because there weren't enough healthy people being covered. There are catastrophic plans on offer under ACA for young people, and the premiums for those ARE affordable.

It may be unpleasant, and it may not taste good, but it's medicine that this country absolutely needs to take.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,946,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh and according to you everyone is gainfully employed healthy and young. Screw everyone else. Yep, that's how liberals see it.
What then to do with the old, unhealthy and unemployed? Allow them to go uninsured? Bankruptcy? Are you saying that personal responsibility has a cost that a lot of people can't afford and that we should have a better system? Are you advocating single payer, because that's what it seems like.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM

30,195 posts, read 23,608,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
SWEET! I just found out that I can get health care PLUS dental for $60 a month. And, in 2014, "no more pre-existing conditions" can be turned away.

Suck it, Odeathcare, this is the way I will go.

Oh and to the naysayers, I don't get a refund, so there will be no "penalty" for me to pay. Because remember, it's not a tax...or is it? Which one is it? Have the libs made up their minds yet?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,946,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It takes a special kind of mind to think it's clever to pay a penalty for nothing just to stick it to The Man.
But you support the bill anyways..

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

23,629 posts, read 23,946,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
There are catastrophic plans on offer under ACA for young people
There are?

Prove it.

BTW, anything that includes maternity care for men or pediatric services for childless adults can't possibly be considered "catastrophic," so don't waste our time citing any policies which include these things.

I won't be holding my breath waiting for you.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,156,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
For yourself only or family?
Just for me. Family can be added. Beautiful part is it can be tailored for specific needs.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I certainly don't see how young people paying the penalty and getting short term insurance somehow destroys Obamacare. They think if healthy people don't join in the first year (which is 2014 not 2017), but pay the first year fine, it won't support sicker people and the system collapses. It seems to ignore the penalty increases as time goes on, and base everything on a flat first year penalty.

The entire article seems to be "according to their research," that they don't link to or publish and is laughably wrong even at a glance. This has got to be a joke. All this demonstrates is that the evidence and proof don't matter to people who want to believe what they want to believe, confirmation bias.

What this shows is the lazy thinkers, delusional minds, and outright dullards that think up these loopholes and plans. Stick it to Obamacare buy paying the fine and getting crappy short term insurance. I am waiting for these people to "stick it to Obama's love of air" by putting a plastic bag over their head and refusing the breathe it.

If you want to "stick it to the man" by just hurting yourself...do it. I am serious, just do it and quit wasting time and breath by whining like a 12 year old emotionally disturbed child. Work to get as many people as possible to join you as fast as possible. Be sure to eat fried foods, smoke, drink excessively, and do risky things just to show up Obamacare too.
I hurt myself by paying for a maternity plan I obviously don't need. I also don't need contraceptives or abortion needs or any of that other garbage that I never had until the jackass lied and had my plan I liked (remember that?) cancelled.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Especially since there is a tax payer funded "insurance bailout" written into the Obamacare law so any attempt to sidestep Obamacare can be weeded out and fixed and with each passing year the fine gets heftier and heftier. Yep the American people will eventually be "forced" to buy something they don't want. That's tyranny.
Precisely.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So health insurance is tyranny, but things like the requirement to buy auto insurance is not?

Oh yeah, Obama didn't impliment auto insurance...so it is okay.
My not buying health insurance hurts no one but my 2 ton hunk of metal can kill. Big difference there slick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies