Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Concealed carry is a weighty responsiblity which actually places the moral burden on the holder to not escalate and actively de-escalate disputes. I do not mean disengaging from threatened criminal activity but the fairly common airing of contrary opinions among strangers which raise tempers and can lead an otherwise lawful person to foolish acts. You know what I refer to parking lot disputes, butting in line, etc.

NB: I would like to replace disengaging from criminal activity to surrendering from criminal activity but you folks know what I mean.
You are correct, well said. What we needs to be revealed is exactly how far this escalated before the shot was fired.
It could well come out that the dead guy said something along the lines of "how about I come over there and kick your arse old man"?
It could also come out that the dead guy said "Geeze, I'm sorry but you don't have to be an arse about it".

Not enough information on what went down as of yet, nor do we know the background of the dead guy. Was he given to violent outbursts? Was he a meek,mild good old dad type guy? Any road rage or assaults in HIS past?
As for the shooter, one would think with a long career in L.E. he's quite aware on how to diffuse a violent situation so just on the face of it you'd think something more happened. Of course, he could've been one of those "badge heavy" cops. Again, not enough info yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,391,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes possibly, and definetely a rude guy whose mouth overloaded his annal regions and got it shut for him.

The incident is tragic. Simple courtesy would have kept it all from happening.
A rude guy? Excuse me but I've just been to a theater where the texting and conversations continued throughout showing of the previews and no one thought it rude enough to complain. Go to a weekend showing and I goldangguarantee this clown cop would have been shooting 40 or 50 teenagers for like behaviour.

Next up: "his mouth overloaded his annal regions"? Sheesh, you don't know what was said or how it was said and now we hear this Dudley Do Right ex cop has had these "texting" confrontations prior to this fracas. He morphed from a chief of security of Busch Gardens to "texting monitor of Theater Land"

You don't think it possible that the retired cop ran his mouth in such a way as to guarantee an abrupt response. It's all in the manner you project when you ASK someone to do something or in this case to cease doing something BEFORE the start of the main feature. The word "please" figures prominently in any polite approach. Think maybe retired Kojak used that word at all?

You've come solidly down on the side of the gun-toter ascribing the moral high ground to him and relegated the younger Navy vet PO2 father texting his daughter to the category of a big mouth talking out of his azz.

Remarkable!

Shooting someone is slightly less than polite, or wouldn't you agree?

12,980 posts, read 14,518,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
His son was not the one to subdue him. It was an off duty police officer who was sitting by him. I can't imagine the police would cuff an attempted murder suspect and let him walk himself to the police car, officer's Dad or not. It's not normal.
My point was it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine he may have received different/special treatment as he was known to the officers.

15,896 posts, read 11,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Yeah, I agree. It seems to me that texting in public is less annoying than someone yapping into their phone. I was stuck in a waiting room last week with some idiot having a loud, endless conversation on his cell phone, and I sat there thinking that I wish he'd text instead.

One thing my mom always told me was to mind my own business! Having said that, while someone in public may be causing an annoyance, or breaking a rule as trivial as texting during a movie...well it ain't my business. Too many people in this world get too butthurt over little things!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,128,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Not enough information on what went down as of yet, nor do we know the background of the dead guy. Was he given to violent outbursts? Was he a meek,mild good old dad type guy? Any road rage or assaults in HIS past?
exactly.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Shooting someone is slightly less than polite, or wouldn't you agree?
I would agree. Distinctly non-polite.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Look Edward, if you or someone else acted like a crybaby and ran to a movie theatre person for texting (which to me is NOT disruptive or distracting anyone else) I probably would have been like "WTF" as well!
Ahhh, and there's the rub and what's been going wrong in country for a while now. It's all in the words "to me" like YOU are the only one that matters.

If it's not distracting to anyone then why would YOU think they put all the messages on the screen asking that you NOT do it? Just to tick you off? Hmmm?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,132,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Or the guy could have obeyed the theater rules and shut off the cellphone.
There is no theater rule to turn off phones during the PREVIEWS. The turn off your phone announcement doesn't come on until the end of the previews.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's your take-away from this?
Among others. Also don't throw popcorn into the face of an angry man. Good rules to live by.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is no theater rule to turn off phones during the PREVIEWS. The turn off your phone announcement doesn't come on until the end of the previews.
And why exactly do they ask that you turn off your phone and not text or call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies