Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oulsen was not a thug.

Oulsen was not high on drugs.

Oulsen kept his hands to himself.
High probability you're right on the first two. Details yet needed for number three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Someone has to teach these thugs a lesson. The retired cop was being attacked by that thug. The retired cop was just protecting himself from that thug who was probably high on drugs. Oulsen should have learned to keep his hands to himself.
You're funn'n with me now; I can tell.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM

471 posts, read 600,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nope; not at first, and neither did Reeves, along with his wife consider just moving to another seat in a theater with only 25 patrons in attendance.

Witnesses have stated Oulson was sitting eating from the bag of dangerous popcorn upon Reeves return from his safari to the lobby. I don't know about y'all, but any 'almost noiseless' texting I've ever done (minimal) required both hands or at least one very nimble single thumb. I know I could not perform this while holding a bag with one hand and stuffing popcorn into my yap with the other......I'm thinking his cel-phone was in his pocket at this point...no?

Cel-phone off, case closed. Sit down mister cop and now begin to apply the "I'm satisfied with the outcome and will remain silent as long as your cel-phone does." thereby defusing of ticking time bomb you've pulled the pin on in the first place.

You chose to confront someone rather than simply move to another seat. The issue is no longer there so when asked by Oulson if he'd been tattled on simply say "yes, they're aware of it and now that you've stopped there will be no more problems from them or I."
Wholeheartedly agree with the last two paragraphs. This adds the second dimension to what I was referencing in their behavior. Neither one backed down, as easily as Oulson could have stepped out to text, Reeves could have moved seats. It was a matter of ego. Neither wanted to lose face. Unfortunately, Reeves used his equalizer to enforce his law and life was lost needlessly. There was no need for violence, and I do think having the gun charged up Reeves much more.

If we remove the weapon from the picture, I think the whole altercation would have looked different, from beginning to end.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 01-16-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 10:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
High probability you're right on the first two. Details yet needed for number three.
Get back to us when you have a single witness who says that Oulsen reached up, over the intervening row of theater seats, to touch Mr Reeves in any manner, never mind threatening.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Welcome to my increasingly longer ignore list. I don't have time for people like you. "Freudian"! Do you even know what that means? Never mind. Bye.
Whew; thanks be to the gods!

One word of caution however, the statement "don't have time for people like me" would by it's nature mean you don't have time to peruse and respond on these boards; can I take from that statement we can all look forward to your absence?

Freudian means what it has always meant

Freudian slip - definition of Freudian slip by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

and that is exactly why I used the word in this context.

C'mon now Bideshi, handing it out is licensed only by a capability to take it. Your viewpoint is merely but one of many offered on this issue. We're good.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with the last two paragraphs. This adds the second dimension to what I was referencing in their behavior. Neither one backed down, as easily as Oulson could have stepped out to text, Reeves could have moved seats. It was a matter of ego. Neither wanted to lose face. Unfortunately, Reeves used his equalizer to enforce his law and life was lost needlessly. There was no need for violence, and I do think having the gun charged up Reeves much more.

If we remove the weapon from the picture, I think the whole altercation would have looked different, from beginning to end.
I agree with the whole content of this one. I just now had the light go on in my head (minor epiphany) that while focusing on Reeves being annoyed but defaulting to confronting rather than moving that Mr. Oulson could have also moved to another seat after the confrontation started if he had any desire to avoid further confrontational stress.

This terrible event need not have happened if just one of the protagonists had used even a scintilla of acquiescence.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Default ''Just the facts, Ma'am.''

OK, first off, the ex-cop killed the texter. He was wrong! Nothing
can excuse his actions. He is in jail, will be prosecuted, and he will
probably be found guilty. I will not defend him, I never have.

Secondly, the victim did start the incident.

From the article, Police: Texting argument in movie theater sparks fatal shooting - CNN.com
On the theaters' website is a list of prohibited items and actions. Among them:
No cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

The victim was texting, he was asked to stop, more than once. He
confronted the ex-cop when he came back into the theater. Also,
he continued to escalate (along with the ex-cop) the confrontation.

Again, the ex-cop was wrong, no doubt about it. But, the victim did
start it, and helped escalate it. To say he was totally innocent is just
not possible.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

not possible.
By that logic, since the texter was shot to death for texting, what punishment should the shooter get?

Something really gruesome, I suppose.

To be fair, and all.

It just boggles my mind that anyone would think Oulson is partly guilty!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Get back to us when you have a single witness who says that Oulsen reached up, over the intervening row of theater seats, to touch Mr Reeves in any manner, never mind threatening.
You were there I suppose?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
OK, first off, the ex-cop killed the texter. He was wrong! Nothing
can excuse his actions. He is in jail, will be prosecuted, and he will
probably be found guilty. I will not defend him, I never have.

Secondly, the victim did start the incident.

From the article, Police: Texting argument in movie theater sparks fatal shooting - CNN.com
On the theaters' website is a list of prohibited items and actions. Among them:
No cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

The victim was texting, he was asked to stop, more than once. He
confronted the ex-cop when he came back into the theater. Also,
he continued to escalate (along with the ex-cop) the confrontation.

not possible.
That would be true, if it weren't for the fact that it is generally and widely considered acceptable for people to use their cell phones, IN THE THEATER AUDITORIUM, prior to the movie. Which is why theaters run the message asking people to turn their phones off just prior to screening the movie. Theater management, and theater goers know that people will take the opportunity to check their messages, to send last-minute messages, and even to play games to pass the time, while others are taking the opportunity to go to the bathroom, got to the concession stand, and just generally do whatever to make themselves comfortable for the upcoming movie. Mr Reeves choice to act as the cell-phone cop started the altercation. Not Mr Oulson's text to his daughter's babysitter to check on her before he expected to be out of reach for the next two hours.

To say he was totally innocent is possible. Because no rational person can possibly justify Mr Reeves' response. Whether Mr Oulson was provocative or not, none of his actions rose to the level to merit a deadly response. And if NONE of his action merited a deadly response, then yes, totally innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies