Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM

902 posts, read 714,686 times

Advertisements

This is the kind of mental terrorism one would have expected during the
Cultural Revolution in Red China or in Vietnam after the fall of Saigon or
in Stalinist Russia. I hope the boy had a nice 3 day vacation and enjoyed
his brief freedom from the indoctrination camp. Since when did mentioning
the color of a person's skin become a thought crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
This is the kind of mental terrorism one would have expected during the
Cultural Revolution in Red China or in Vietnam after the fall of Saigon or
in Stalinist Russia. I hope the boy had a nice 3 day vacation and enjoyed
his brief freedom from the indoctrination camp. Since when did mentioning
the color of a person's skin become a thought crime?

What do they call the little girls not old enough to be girl scouts these days?

Hint: They wear little beanies.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Yet the word Redneck has up so much in social status that some Black people are starting to refer to themselves as such.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,615,447 times
It makes you wonder if a "brown people" had said "white people", or "black people", would he also have gotten suspended???
PC has gotten way out of hand in this country.
Whatever happened to Freedom Of Speech?

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,111,346 times
What a bizarre way to handle a 9 year old child. It makes me wonder how it will be perceived in school if my son refers to himself as "bright brown". I always intended for my children to grow up color-blind, but I have since learned that it is technically impossible because children are naturally curious of differences. My son's father is East Indian and when my son was 3, he asked me why he was "bright brown" and I was not.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,668,600 times
Quote:
A 9-year-old boy from a Phoenix elementary school has been suspended after the school determined he engaged in racial harassment by using the term "brown people."

The boy, whom The Arizona Republic is not naming because of his age, was suspended for three days from Abraham Lincoln Traditional School after officials determined that his language constituted racial harassment, part of its hate-crime code.

In a parent-teacher conference in early November, Abraham Lincoln Principal Virginia Voinovich said she also told the boy that it is OK to have racist feelings as long as you keep them to yourself.
They're calling it a violation of their hate-crime code. This is ridiculous, but very PC. I bet school officials are very proud of themselves. And the probably wonder why people are taking their kid and putting them in private schools. This is a text book case of why we need vouchers.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:09 PM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's not true, you peckerwood white trash hillbilly.
That's Mr peckerwood white trash hillbilly ya redneck cracker!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

20,260 posts, read 19,847,317 times
Another plus for non-competive govt run schools.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,182,519 times
This is friggin crazy. I actually use the term "brown" people with my 8 yr old son, because most "black" people aren't really black, and all kids see are people, not race.

I try to teach him that all people are different whether it's our skin color or abilities/disabilities, and the differences are what make everyone special.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

982 posts, read 3,303,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
the real issue here is not the child, but the principal and her response. Children say things inappropriate all the time, it's up to an adult to correct them or better yet, "teach". She (the principal) failed miserably
Absolutely right.

When Neve objected to the suspension during the parent conference, Voinovich told her that parents give up their rights to discipline when they send a child to school, the tape shows.

I would make this national news - they would never shut me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies