Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Whatever helps you to give the wealthy subsidies.
Wouldnt billionaire farm owners benefit the most from the hundreds of billions in food stamp subsidies given out?

Are you suggesting we cut food stamps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes its a freebee but hard to get and requires some form of payment supplement. many do not like any of this. if this is the plum the poor having been waiting for-- its pretty slim pickings.

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Anyone who earns 46K or less will qualify for a subsidy. 71% of Americans earn less than 50K so it's hardly a surprise that the majority qualified for subsidies. The subsidy for one who earns 35K is about $8. I'm sure people would like everyone to believe that everyone who buys insurance through the exchange is a poor moocher, but most are working, or they would qualify for medicaid.

It's better to have people insured than racking up bills at hospitals. Taxpayers and people who have insurance pay the $42 Billion in costs that the uninsured rack up and don't pay. Everyone who has health insurance pays an additional $1000/yr for the unpaid bills of the uninsured.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I would think it would be closer to 100%. If by "obamacare" you mean signing up through an exchange. There is no reason to do that if you aren't getting subsidies, you just buy a policy from an insurance company or broker like people have always done. Understand that it will STILL be "obamacare" in that it meets ACA requirements.

I'm never quite sure what people think they are talking about.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's an ROI from one group and nothing from the other.
Maybe that's the reason why.
Sure, we wouldn't want to let the wealthy take any risks with their money, as long as it is a positive investment, even if it is propped up by the tax payers. You are just trying to reason with yourself why it is okay to give the wealthy subsidies and not the poor.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not tax exempt..it's an expense, just like paid vacations, stock bonuses, other taxes.
And don't forget the employer is also contributing to SS, medicare and unemployment (both state and federal) insurance.
The insurance is tax exempt compensation for the employee. The employee pays no tax on the income that goes toward health insurance. The employer also receives generous tax exemptions for providing that insurance. Employment based health insurance means a lot fewer taxes are collected from employees and the businesses they work for, and that's fine because health care is important, and everyone should have access to a health insurance plan to help pay for it.

The ACA allows people who can't get this benefit to qualify for reduced costs on their own insurance. The most important thing it did was allow everyone to be able to get insurance, instead of denying anyone who had a health condition, or kicking people out as soon as they get sick. I've yet to see the replacement plan the conservatives will implement. It seems to me they preferred the old way where insurance company profits mattered more than Americans having health coverage. I'm an independent, but I will never vote for a republican if all they have to offer is repeal to the horrible old way.

Last edited by detshen; 01-14-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would think it would be closer to 100%. If by "obamacare" you mean signing up through an exchange. There is no reason to do that if you aren't getting subsidies, you just buy a policy from an insurance company or broker like people have always done. Understand that it will STILL be "obamacare" in that it meets ACA requirements.

I'm never quite sure what people think they are talking about.
Wrong. Many states (35?) like TX had High Risk pools that insured all the Pre-existing individuals like my Ex who had cancer. Those state discontinued those plans and are forced to go through the Exchange.

Her costs went up a good 25% through the exchange from her previous high risk pool policy. She has no other options at this time.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wrong. Many states (35?) like TX had High Risk pools that insured all the Pre-existing individuals like my Ex who had cancer. Those state discontinued those plans and are forced to go through the Exchange.

Her costs went up a good 25% through the exchange from her previous high risk pool policy. She has no other options at this time.
We had a high risk plan in CA like that too...it was paid for by our taxes because the rates were really low the people being insured were getting one hell of a deal. . I wish I could have taken advantage of that but you had to be uninsured for 6 months to even qualify. The rates were clearly not sustainable so unless you advocate raising taxes or cutting spending and throwing it all into a National Health Plan for everyone I don't know who is supposed to pay for their own policy. Stop looking at the pretend rates of what used to be but can't be anymore, and look at reality.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sure, we wouldn't want to let the wealthy take any risks with their money, as long as it is a positive investment, even if it is propped up by the tax payers. You are just trying to reason with yourself why it is okay to give the wealthy subsidies and not the poor.
Dont you support ACA, despite their guaranteed return to the insurance companies taking part?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
its a tranfer of wealth just like every wealth sharing program;plain and simple.Insurance is allowed the same 20% net profit like before. For those its just a transfer of cost to others as it cost no less to treat them. Unlike most pools tho everyone does not pay the same in the risk pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies