Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Walk around the outer aisles of the supermarket. That is where you find the fresh and healthier foods. Fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken dairy , eggs.. the processed stuff in in the inner aisles..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Carbohydrates. Food like pasta, potatoes, rice, and fast food are all loaded with carbs, and carbohydrates turn into sugars during digestion. Sugar turns into fat. Carbs are very cheap food and are filling. They are also very easy to prepare.

A steady diet heavy in carbs is also addictive, as the sugars that don't turn to fat burn off quickly, so the person goes from a sugar high to a sugar crash constantly. The crash leaves a person wanting more carbs.

This is why so many poor people also develop diabetes and heart problems. Carbs are essential, but too many are very bad for the health.
Hey i'm Italian and eat my pasta eat rice and eat potatoes. I'm built very well and slender even at my age.

It is called portion control, and eating what you want in moderation. I buy brown rice, never white, and also wheat pasta. Except when I make homemade stuff shells, or homemade ravioli. In many of the dishes I cook, potatoes are in there, but with other fresh vegetables.

But while once in a while we have the pasta, and all the Italian. I have good Italian friends that eat all the pasta you can think of, and no one in the family is fat. Most of our diet consists of fish, chicken, and tons of fresh veggies, and fresh stir -fry. And we love salads, and believe me everything is in my salad. But I also exercise a lot and walk. I am very slender and curvy in the right places, my tacos and a lot of Mexican dishes are made with ground turkey, but you would never know it, have to know what spices to use, but in place of meat we use chicken a lot, and my Mexican dishes are outstanding.

I found you can eat what you want in moderation, exercise and drink plenty of water, this helps me.

I think americans eat too much on their plates. When we visited Italy I was surprise as a Italian American, that Italians eat smaller portions on their plates. And they ate a lot of fresh fish also. they picked to me more then then ate a big lunch or dinner.

Being rich or poor has nothing to do with being fat or thin. It is called having no will power to eat the right kinds of foods and in balance. Exercising, and drinking that 8 glasses of water daily. And portion control, I have seen while out and about, that americans love to fill up their plates. Veggies which is very filling and good for you, is still pretty cheap, and can be put into almost any meal. Beans are good for you and have a lot of protein, and do not cost a lot. They can be put into a lot of dfferent dinners. I think people don't realize how much they eat, and what they eat. If you get no exercise once you hit the big 50 that is bad.

Infact time to go out on my deck and now exercise. And yes Roadking2003 BEANS are a very good protein alternative to meat or even with the leanest cuts of meat. And yes are considered a superfood, along with all kinds of nuts which are very good for you and your heart.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

As far as complaining about Rice and Beans being carbs...a lot of people in Asia live off of it and are thin.
Yes, but beans are not high in carbs. They are a very healthy food high in protein.

In a recent study, bean eaters weighed, on average, 7 pounds less and had slimmer waists than their bean-avoiding counterparts -- yet they consumed 199 calories more per day if they were adults and an incredible 335 calories more if they were teenagers.

Beans: Protein-Rich Superfoods

Old 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
For real. You can learn to make simple tomato sauce with fresh ingredients in about a half hour. Just sautee some onions and garlic in olive oil, some carrots or celery, saute that, add some basil and then throw in some diced tomatoes and season it and then let it simmer til it tastes alright... Incredibly easy. Just store any that's left-over or freeze the rest. Overall it's cheaper and easy to make pasta sauce--and it's way better than the cheap junk full of sugar you get at most stores...

I never really cooked anything in my life until a few years ago except for BBQing stuff on the grill--then my girlfriend said that in her family men knew how to cook(and cook well). So I learned to cook, now I just cook almost everything myself unless I'm going out to eat. I've cooked food from every region of the world at this point with just ingredients availble at local grocery stores in the last year.

Produce is pretty cheap too... Buy some whole wheat pasta or rice and you've got a meal. Much cheaper than buying a Big Mac meal in the long run.
Correct. And it is not difficult to learn to cook. It does take some practice and some EFFORT which is why many people choose to eat a Big Mac and stay fat.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, but beans are not high in carbs. They are a very healthy food high in protein.

In a recent study, bean eaters weighed, on average, 7 pounds less and had slimmer waists than their bean-avoiding counterparts -- yet they consumed 199 calories more per day if they were adults and an incredible 335 calories more if they were teenagers.

Beans: Protein-Rich Superfoods

One cup of black beans has 41g carbs, 1g of fat, and 15g of protein.

I would have to eat 14 cups of black beans, or 3200 calories worth, to meet my protein goals.

700 calories of black beans (24oz) has about the same amount of protein as 180 calories of canned fish. (6oz)
Seems weird to me to call it 'protein rich' but compared to other non-meat sources, they aren't bad.

I still think I'd call something that is 70-75% composed of carbohydrate to be high in carbs.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Correct. And it is not difficult to learn to cook. It does take some practice and some EFFORT which is why many people choose to eat a Big Mac and stay fat.
One can't even find the hamburger at mc donald's.. it is all bun..

then they buy french fries which is cooked in oil .. more starch.. not a balanced diet. A meal isn't a meal without some vegetables or some more protein on the plate..

A great salad is so tasty I can't see why people don't eat vegetables. I have talked to people and they never eat vegetables, just a meat and a starch.... I can't live without them. I love fresh spinach or if I can't find that I eat frozen. Broccoli , califlower, and green peppers.. love them..

I scramble eggs with zucchini. Awesome..

Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
One can't even find the hamburger at mc donald's.. it is all bun..

then they buy french fries which is cooked in oil .. more starch.. not a balanced diet. A meal isn't a meal without some vegetables or some more protein on the plate..

A great salad is so tasty I can't see why people don't eat vegetables. I have talked to people and they never eat vegetables, just a meat and a starch.... I can't live without them. I love fresh spinach or if I can't find that I eat frozen. Broccoli , califlower, and green peppers.. love them..

I scramble eggs with zucchini. Awesome..
I love stir fry. Pound of chicken. Whole onion. Whole bell pepper. Water chestnuts. Some peanut oil. That's one dinner for mer.

Will sometimes eat steamed veggies, mostly because I know I need to.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Probably why poor Asians have that sickly yellow look about them.
Hmmm I have been all over SE Asia. Diet wise I would say even poor asians eat healthier than the average American. Fish and Chicken are served with virtually every meal. Fruits and vegetables are consumed as snacks.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
My time is very valuable to me.

But when I was poor, I cooked instead of watching TV.

Making spaghetti sauce from scratch is no big deal and takes 30 minutes or less. So quit watching TV and make spaghetti sauce.

Cooking Oat Meal is very quick, cheap, healthy and easy. Cooking a chicken breast is very quick, cheap, healthy and easy.

Yes, cooking spaghetti sauce and oatmeal is no big deal. Some poor people - I'm thinking of those who share housing with other adults - sometimes have severe refrigeration constrainnts. The house in which I live has very limited freezer space, which is always Occupied, so it is impossible for me to freeze perishable food for future use. So buying chicken is something I do only in small quantity and when the price is really good.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Bull. Takes longer to prepare healthy food and all these poor people consider McDonalds as the family restaurant.
Bull. It doesn't matter how long it takes to prepare, the fact of the matter is, it is more expensive no matter how much you people continue to deny. You clearly do not have an idea what it is to be truly poor, and that is where the disconnect lies.

What I have seen in this thread is an absolute hatred for poor people. All these assumptions being made that all they eat is McDonald's and bags of chips. Ridiculous. It's incredible how out of touch with reality some of you all are. And the seething hatred that lies just underneath your words, if not outright blatant, is disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies