Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,841,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post

How is gun control a fallacy? Where there is tighter gun control, fewer people are killed with guns
Do you realize how stupid of an argument this is? It's a total red herring. It's like saying, "In countries where fewer people use cars for transportation, there are fewer automobile fatalities"

Well DUH!!!

What do you really care about? Reducing crime? Or reducing GUN crime? To get an accurate understanding of how well gun bans and restrictions work in those countries that have implemented them, you have to look at the whole picture, not just one piece of it. You have to look at the over-all crime rate in those countries. Was there less crime in general after the bans? Was there more crime after the new restrictions? Did the crime rates stay the same in those countries?

You tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
BTW, have we figured out yet how restricting the guns of law-abiding people, prevents attempted mass murders like this?
I see no law that could be enacted to prevent people from shooting other people, with 300 million guns in the country and everyone having a right to own them and many people thinking its a great tool to settle ones problems you just have to accept the fact that thats the way it is in America.
From a Tampa Bay Times article=http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ook-post-says/

Quote:
The numbers

We turned to statistics from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; experts in the field told us it keeps the most reliable statistics on the subject. The CDC collects two sets of relevant data.

The first is data for deaths by guns, which is included in an annual report about deaths of all types during calendar year 2009. The numbers for gun deaths is broken down into several categories:

Suicide: 18,735 deaths
Homicide: 11,493 deaths
Unintentional: 554 deaths
Legal interventions: 333 deaths
Undetermined: 232 deaths

Total: 31,347 deaths

The second data set tracks non-fatal injuries by guns. According to the CDC, there were 73,505 non-fatal firearm injuries in 2010. (We will ignore an additional 13,851 non-fatal injuries from BB or pellet guns.)

Last edited by jambo101; 01-15-2014 at 02:10 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 AM

24,343 posts, read 22,903,146 times
The youth used a sawed off shotgun which is most likely banned. He was 12 years old and his race hasn't been revealed so nobody can politicize that one way or another. Was it a personal vendetta or was he on medication, was it random, was he suicidal, there hasn't been much if any information revealed yet.
Its a tragedy but again, politicizing it won't happen. Let's just get the facts and try to build from there what happened.
Given the number of firearms that students have access too, the number of incidents involving schools is extremely low.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The youth used a sawed off shotgun which is most likely banned. He was 12 years old and his race hasn't been revealed so nobody can politicize that one way or another. Was it a personal vendetta or was he on medication, was it random, was he suicidal, there hasn't been much if any information revealed yet.
Its a tragedy but again, politicizing it won't happen. Let's just get the facts and try to build from there what happened.
Given the number of firearms that students have access too, the number of incidents involving schools is extremely low.
That's a good point, and a very peculiar fact. Normally the media can't wait to tell us that another mentally deranged white male has let loose again. Perhaps this one was black and they aren't revealing that?

Hmmm...

I doubt that though. It probably has more to do with the fact that he is a minor and that is probably why we don't know much about him. Whatever the reason, it's a welcome change as far as I'm concerned. It sickens me to see the 24 hour news cycle giving these nuts the fame they crave.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,163,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
There are millions more students who are raised in homes that have firearms that don't do anything. In fact, one kid in AZ stopped a burglary after school with one of his dad's guns.

It's good that they didn't release race. 99% of the time race has nothing to do with anything, people just want to grasp at something that isn't there.

Sawn-off shotguns are very very strictly regulated by ATF. Shotguns MUST have a barrel length of 18" and if I recall correctly, all long guns must have a minimum length of 26".

For anything less, one must pay $200 for a special one-time tax stamp, submit fingerprints and the signature of an approving chief law enforcement officer, and the wait time for approval to own is ~one year at this time.

Otherwise, it's federal firearm charges coupled with federal prison time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's a good point, and a very peculiar fact. Normally the media can't wait to tell us that another mentally deranged white male has let loose again. Perhaps this one was black and they aren't revealing that?

Hmmm...

I doubt that though. It probably has more to do with the fact that he is a minor and that is probably why we don't know much about him. Whatever the reason, it's a welcome change as far as I'm concerned. It sickens me to see the 24 hour news cycle giving these nuts the fame they crave.
I think that's half the reason these things happen in the first place- they want fame, or infamy, or whatever kind of attention they can get as their last sort of act/desire and they know they can get it.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
There are millions more students who are raised in homes that have firearms that don't do anything. In fact, one kid in AZ stopped a burglary after school with one of his dad's guns.

It's good that they didn't release race. 99% of the time race has nothing to do with anything, people just want to grasp at something that isn't there.

Sawn-off shotguns are very very strictly regulated by ATF. Shotguns MUST have a barrel length of 18" and if I recall correctly, all long guns must have a minimum length of 26".
That might be true when you include the length of the stock etc. but barrel length alone can be far shorter than that. For example, most AR-15's have a barrel length between 16' and 20' inches. Mine has a barrel length of 16' inches. I have .22 long guns that have barrel lengths shorter than 26' inches. I think you're referring to over-all length though, right?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:58 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,163,776 times
Yes, overall length.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 AM

12,241 posts, read 6,400,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How many school-aged kids were killed in car accidents today?

Nothing dumber than someone who blames guns for shootings. Possibly the lowest IQ on planet earth.

This:
Nothing dumber than comparing car accidents to mass murder.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,113,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Nothing dumber than comparing car accidents to mass murder.
So this was a mass murder? Who was killed?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 AM

12,241 posts, read 6,400,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So this was a mass murder? Who was killed?
I`m fairly certain that this wasn`t the first shooting incident in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies