Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
why do you feel that there are no more international threats to our countries safety?
WHERE did I say anything remotely close to that?

Quote:
They gutted our military back in the 1930s saying that nobody would attack us and then Japan bombed us. you have to be really niave to think nobody would attack us anymore.
Last I read we had over 1,800 nuclear warheads deployed with the means to deliver them. You'd have to be really naïve OR a defense lobbyist to believe that represents a gutted military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
why do you feel that there are no more international threats to our countries safety?
They gutted our military back in the 1930s saying that nobody would attack us and then Japan bombed us. you have to be really niave to think nobody would attack us anymore.
Oh please. yeah they bombed us...and we proceeded to kick their butts.

And hey guess what? the worlds changed. Now, no country could rationally think they could invade and take US territory. We have nuclear weapons. Worst case we could detonate them in their silos and take the world with us.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That still does nothing to answer why those who allege government is THE problem want to grow and strengthen it.
Notice how carefully little burdell ignores that I refuted his statement here, already?

To reiterate (that means, to say it again, for the liberals on the forum):

People who say "government is the porblem", are not saying that every single part of government is the problem and so must be cut back or eliminated, as he is implying here.

Government has legitimate functions, which should be supported, and even expanded when necessary.

It's the functions that government should NOT be performing, but which they expand and take over anyway, that are the problem. But the "government is the problem" people aren't expanding those. In fact, they're fighting them, and trying to turn them back over to other groups, or even eliminate them if they are programs that shouldn't be done at all.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
(patiently)

Because Defense is one of Government's legitimate functions.

Government taking over functions that are not its job (See Article 1, Section 8 for a handly list of its proper functions) is the problem.

I've lost count of the number of times that has been explained in this forum.

You missed ALL of them?

Or are you just pretending you hadn't heard this already, so you can pretend even further, that defense is not a legit govt function?
They are part of the Jim Jones ... new name Obama cult. If Obama and the dems say it then they won't believe anything to the contrary. Their god has spoken.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Notice how carefully little burdell ignores that I refuted his statement here, already?
You've refuted NOTHING! You've only implied the Constitution mandates we spend like drunken sailors on unnecessary programs, pure BS!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Why is it your party so consistently has a plank in its platform calling for MORE defense spending? WHY do you want to give more firepower to the government you fear?

And please spare us the fantasy you'd be able to defend yourself against that very same government's M1 Abrams Tanks, FA-18s, etc. because you have an AR15 or two in the closet.
For some reason you are equating the desire by people to have a strong national defense to also approving of reckless, irresponsibility, warmongering an unconstitutional abuse of power.

You are in favor of increased taxes. If we use your logic, this means you also approve of politicians and bureaucrats engaging in corporate crony capitalism, vote buying, treating themselves to perks like luxuries and extravagance, politicians using our money to enrich and empower themselves, their friends, relatives and cronies, and administrative waste, fraud and abuse of those taxpayer dollars.

I really have to wonder if you thought at all before posting this ridiculous rant.

Last edited by OICU812; 01-14-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They are part of the Jim Jones ... new name Obama cult. If Obama and the dems say it then they won't believe anything to the contrary. Their god has spoken.
Yet you self-Righteous hypocrites who call for less spending while spending like drunken sailors are the ones drinking the Kool-Aid.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm a conservative who wants to cut defense spending.

Republicans pander to the military and defense contractors and it needs to stop.
Another one here.

I'm tired of the Republican's automatic support for any and all spending on defense. We need a strong defense, but I think there are plenty of opportunities for savings.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
I'm an independent who believes we need to cut military spending. For me, Eisenhower had it right -- "beware the rise of the military-industrial complex".

The biggest problem with military spending is the fraud that occurs in cost overruns, and those ALWAYS happen.

Inside the Pentagon's Trillion Dollar F-35 Embarrassment

I'm definitely more of a hawk than a dove because there are times that you need firepower, but seriously, our military expenditures are F**KING RIDICULOUS. How much bigger does our military need to be vs. the second biggest in the world? or third biggest? We're entering a new era in warfare, but we need to harness technology AND lower costs.

I'm a guy that's into horsepower in my cars, but I don't see the point in a 2,000 hp street car, either.

There are other problems in the budget, too.......like Medicare fraud.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Oh, I think both parties pretty much suck.

That still does nothing to answer why those who allege government is THE problem want to grow and strengthen it.
Constitutional conservatives seem to be the only Americans who want to hold our federal government accountable, the left and the democrat voters sure as hell don't, and the GOP establishment is too afraid of their own shadow, or whether or not the Beltway media will speak critically of them, to even think about it.

Last edited by OICU812; 01-14-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies