Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Race-mixing (miscegenation) is a behavior, and was the given reason for laws against interracial marriage. It was also considered wrong by the majority of people in our country in earlier years.
Yes, and Dred Scot was considered right. Law and right are not the same thing. Slavery is wrong. Homosexual marriage is wrong.. Abortion is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
For the sake of our society I hope and pray you lose this Supreme Court test.
Let me guess - you've assumed that I am gay. And why? Because I staunchly defend the rights of all, gays included.

That is very telling about how you view rights. The only ones that concern you are those that benefit you. You simply do not relate to those who defend rights that will never benefit them because it doesn't make sense to you.

The State of Minnesota saw fit to allow me to marry someone of the gender to which I am naturally attracted in 1996. I simply want that right for all, in every state.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-15-2014 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: personal attack, please don't go there

Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
that's your opinion......not every judge agrees that the 14th amendment applies to gay marriage.
If the 14th applies to marriage, it applies to marriage. And so far every case has cited the 14th amendment.

DOMA, Utah, and OK ALL cite the 14th amendment. Which cases do not cite the equal protection clause?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
It's sad but it happens and you can't change it or people like this, it's a harsh reality for a significant portion of young gay people sadly and nobody cares. Homelessness among gay youth is through the roof because of the number of kids who are put on the streets by their parents for being gay.

I can't imagine suddenly not loving my own flesh and blood, or anyone else for that matter because of who they fall in love with or are attracted to. This sudden intense hatred and disconnect highlights a true example of behavior that one should be institutionalized for, not being gay.
Well said.

I have five sons and I would no more turn one of them away for being gay than I would have if one of them had been born left-handed.

How sad for the children of that poster - to grow up knowing their own father's love is so conditional.

Quote:
This sudden intense hatred and disconnect highlights a true example of behavior that one should be institutionalized for, not being gay.
Again, I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Not quite every recent case has gone this way. There is one lone voice out there:

Sevcik v. Sandoval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Which is being appealed if I am correct.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Race is not a behaviour. Homosexual acts are, and are considered wrong by the majority of people on the planet.
Do you have some (cough, cough) credible links to back up your claims?

And, for the record, my state is one of those whose voters, by majority, supported marriage equality (go, Washington! ).

Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
so polygamy laws and age requirements are unconstitutional also?

how about gender segregation?....is having public restrooms and showers separated by gender also violates the 14th amendment?

Are the Boys Scouts and Girls Scouts also unconstitutional under the 14 amendment?
Polygamy and age restrictions may, or may not, be unconstitutional neither have been brought to court so far.

Boy scouts are not a law, they are a private organization and do not fall under equal protection clause.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I'll leave it to you to guess how much your amoral opinion means to me...
A lot of us consider hatred and bigotry and discrimination to be amoral.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Yes, and Dred Scot was considered right. Law and right are not the same thing. Slavery is wrong. Homosexual marriage is wrong.. Abortion is wrong.
Note that Dred Scott v. Sandford resulted in the restriction of human rights.

Can you cite a Supreme Court decision that expanded human rights that later was overturned and/or later thought by our society as being the wrong decision?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
A lot of us consider hatred and bigotry and discrimination to be amoral.
Signing on to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies