Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Those people do not have to marry someone of the same sex. There are many things I find disgusting, I simply do not do those things. THAT is how adults behave. Adults don't stamp their feet and banish things because they personally don't like them.

Oh I beg to differ. One only needs to look at some of the threads on here to see that isn't exactly true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
There's also plenty of hard evidence about polls and why they should not be relied upon for any matter. Especially politically rent-sought ones like SSM. Polls are tilted more times than not. And, people lie.

Of course, I don't expect it to NOT zing off of you again.
OK, all of those polls, from many different sources are skewed. ALL of them. Because they ALL say the same thing acceptance for SSM has been gaining support for years.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I will just chalk it up to the uncertainty principle. If you can prove that homosexuality is overwhelmingly accepted...knock yourself out.

My statement holds as true as the inverse.

It hurts people who find homosexuality disgusting.

Now, what do you mean by hurt?

And when will you stop begging the question?
Oh wait, I just noticed you only have 81 posts. Banned poster. Never mind.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
There is a big difference in believing in God "laws" and one believing one knows what God "wants".
You can know that by reading God's Word.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

Unfortunately man has a tendency to twist God's Word to suit his agenda.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling colonial self-rule a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling the right to vote a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling freedom from slavery a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling women's suffrage a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling equal access to education, no matter one's race, a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

I'm really getting annoyed to hear people calling interracial marriage a right. First, if it was a right, it would have always been a right.

Rights aren't eternal. They're hard fought for and won. And sometimes lost.

Look, the concept of rights in this country is effectively a concept of "natural rights". The concept of natural rights comes from the idea that certain things are endemic to humanity, and thus were not created by government, nor is government necessary for their enforcement.

A good example of this is "freedom of speech". In the absence of government, people will speak freely. Thus speech is not a right granted by government. It can only be taken away. Freedom of religion is freedom to believe what you want, or think what you want. It is not a right granted by government.

Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, freedom of assembly, etc. These are natural rights. The right to marriage is slightly more abstract. But the concept of the right to marry is based around the fact that under normal human conditions, people will devise social arrangements like marriage, regardless of the existence of government. You can trace the concept of marriage back to at least the beginning of human history. And if we were to fall into anarchy tomorrow, people would still marry each other.

When it comes to same-sex marriage, the question then is, is same-sex marriage a "natural right"? Well, the problem with arguing that same-sex marriage is a natural right, is that there has basically been no same-sex marriage anywhere on Earth in the last 5,000 years of human history. And in the natural state of the world, there is basically no reason for same-sex marriages to exist. Because the existence of marriages is for the of children. And since same-sex couples can't normally have children, then in a natural state of the world, there is no point to same-sex marriage.

If something is both not a natural right, and is something that you must ask permission from the government in order to have. You simply cannot call it a right. It is a privilege.

A good example of this is voting. Voting is not a right, there is no history of voting being a right through basically all of human history. When the United States was founded, very few people were allowed to vote. So the idea that voting is a right, just doesn't make any sense. Voting is a privilege, granted by the government, which they can take away at any time.

Calling something a right doesn't make it a right. And repeating it over and over, still doesn't make it a right.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Calling something a right doesn't make it a right. And repeating it over and over, still doesn't make it a right.
And yet, heteros take it for granted that it is a right. Can you tell me what male/female over the age of 18 who are not related cannot get married?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz

When it comes to same-sex marriage, the question then is, is same-sex marriage a "natural right"? Well, the problem with arguing that same-sex marriage is a natural right, is that there has basically been no same-sex marriage anywhere on Earth in the last 5,000 years of human history. And in the natural state of the world, there is basically no reason for same-sex marriages to exist. Because the existence of marriages is for the of children. And since same-sex couples can't normally have children, then in a natural state of the world, there is no point to same-sex marriage.
Really?

You want to place money on whether there has or has not been "evidence of same sex marriage" in human history? Or that marriage has only ever been about children?

I leave out the part about there only being 5000 years of human history, as that is an absurd statement on its face.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Still. Knowing God's word and believing you know what God wants is not the same thing. This seems to have cause complexity for your thought process.

Don't try to refute the irrefutable. accept your limitations.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh wait, I just noticed you only have 81 posts. Banned poster. Never mind.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies