Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No Finn... time and again in these marijuana threads you've referred to us who support the legalization and the end of the prohibition of marijuana, as the pro-narcotic crowd.
I use it on "war on drugs" threads, where the discussion is about all drugs. Pro-narcotic people want to legalize everything.

Having said that, pot is a Schedule I drug with all opiates aka narcotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
10 out of 10 people I knew went to harder drugs because pot didn't do it for them anymore.
Some managed to stop after that.
Tha says more about the people you knew than Marijuana being a gateway drug.

NONE of the people I regularly had contact that smoked Marijuana went on to harder drugs, MOST of them no longer smoke either.

The TRUE "gateway" is those little "drugs" fed to you by Mom while in the womb.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

We need another Revolution. Not a violent one, but a complete culture change when it comes to government reach.
I have said this before here and on other sites "We have a chance for a REVOLUTION every two years", one site even deleted my posts because it went against the site's party line(NO, it wasn't a political party site, the guy that runs things has issues).

Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Kids tend to start with drinking, then pot, then harder drugs if they keep going. I mean if I am drunk or high trying something new is not as scary as if I am sober. How many people have been at a party where hard drugs are offered after everyone is already out of it? I believe people are more inclined to try things when they are not thinking clearly. This goes for sex too. People that smoke pot want us to believe it is not harmful, but I believe it is.
Some people may be claiming that it is not harmful, but most people realize that ALL drugs have the potential to be harmful. Personally, I only drink coffee and occasional alcohol. Maybe 2 times a month I will have a few drinks with dinner. But I do know a thing or two about drugs, and I definitely see the hypocrisy in our drug laws. While pot is not harmless, it is most definitely less harmful than alcohol. The statistics prove it. So why not make alcohol illegal too? Alcohol has a social aspect to it that marijuana does not share. The banning of alcohol was a complete failure. In reality, so was the banning of marijuana, but we just haven't admitted it yet. I'm going skiing in CO in a couple of weeks, and you know what? I don't plan on smoking LEGAL marijuana. Why? Because I am not a pot smoker. Making it legal is not going to turn me into a pot smoker. Almost everybody tries it at least once in their life, legal or not. The people who like it, continue. The people who don't, don't.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
finger guns lead to toy guns, toy guns lead to BB guns, BB guns lead to hard core fully automatic guns will clips of 100 rounds...
And then instead of bottles in the garage it is classmates at school.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I use it on "war on drugs" threads, where the discussion is about all drugs. Pro-narcotic people want to legalize everything.

Having said that, pot is a Schedule I drug with all opiates aka narcotics.

Yes I'm well aware of it's Schedule I status. It was lies and propaganda as to the reason why. For cryin' out loud the stuff was used legally for medicinal, therapeutic, and industrial reasons since the beginning of time, until the early 20th Century. That was before a couple of butt hurt special interests decided to whine to the government, and greased their palms to make it illegal out of fear that they would lose money. Can't have that! God forbid you would actually have to have a healthy competition... So, let's just whine to the government, have them put out a bunch of propaganda that black people will use it to seduce our white women, call it "the devil's weed" make it a schedule I narcotic so that little research can be done with it, and BOOM! There you have it. Now you have Big Pharma, lobbying against it, because they'd rather people spend it on their synthetic crap, instead being allowed a more benign and natural solution! It's all about money, and it's a crock of s***! Well... times are indeed changing, and prohibition of cannabis has just about run it's course. You can continue to support prohibition, but unfortunately, it looks like you will be in the minority. At any rate, even if and when it is legalized in all 50 states, nobody is going to put a gun to your head and say that you must smoke pot! If it's not your thing, I certainly get that, and I respect that. But don't begrudge those who want to use it for however they see fit, be it to unwind, for medicinal and therapeutic purposes...or whatever.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM

I wonder how many of those that say "Marijuana is a dangerous drug that causes you to do crazy things you have no control over and leads to harder drugs" have actually TRIED clean unadulterated Marijuana in the privacy of their own home?

The original Reefer Madness MUST be watched as the comedy is.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I have said this before here and on other sites "We have a chance for a REVOLUTION every two years", one site even deleted my posts because it went against the site's party line(NO, it wasn't a political party site, the guy that runs things has issues).

Want change? Stop voting for D's and R's. Both are the parties of big government, and intrusion into the lives of others. Write the candidates in if you have to. I see you're in Ohio too... and we have that option here. I plan to vote for the Libertarian candidate for governor. Especially after the Republicans tried to push through the Ohio Senate to ban 3rd parties from being on the mid-term ballot. If people continue to vote for the same status quo candidates from the 2 main parties, then nothing will change. Just more wasteful spending on failed wars like the war on drugs, poverty, terror, and more nanny/police state BS! And of course let's not forget the bribes and kick backs these fools get from the mega-corps, and banksters to make sure that nothing changes.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm going skiing in CO in a couple of weeks, and you know what? I don't plan on smoking LEGAL marijuana. Why? Because I am not a pot smoker. Making it legal is not going to turn me into a pot smoker. Almost everybody tries it at least once in their life, legal or not. The people who like it, continue. The people who don't, don't.
It is still technically "illegal" in Ohio, you need to be caught with serious weight before it is a serious charge, I KNOW where I can get some at any time, I have NO interest, I stopped liking the "high" a long time ago and on a smaller level my job has the potential for drug testing.

It could become legal NATIONALLY tomorrow and sold at liquor stores and I would NOT go back to smoking it even though I liked it better than alcohol, NEVER can "blackout", NEVER get sick, NEVER a hangover, and ZERO chance of smoking enough to OD.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's not me who is moving them.

The 'argument' here was the water is a gateway drug to harder drugs, so I asked the following:

Question: Is water an intoxicant?

Answer: Is marijuana a narcotic?

Is that a good answer? No, obviously not, but you ran with it anyway.
Actually, the argument is whether marijuana is the gateway to harder drugs.

Your contention was that marijuana use leads to the use of harder drugs because a lot of harder drug users used marijuana first.

I pointed out that this argument makes as much sense as saying that drinking water leads to alcoholism because all alcoholics drank water first.

You asked if water was an intoxicant, apparently because one thing can only lead to another if they are in the same category.

I then pointed out that marijuana is not in the same category as harder drugs, because most of those "harder" drugs are narcotics while marijuana is not.

Was my follow up question a good one? Not for me to say. You probably don't think so, but opinions vary. The point was to make you realize that correlation and causation are two completely different things. The evidence of marijuana being a gateway drug is at best inconclusive. As was pointed out by another poster earlier in the thread, even the government doesn't give that theory any credit anymore. There have been many studies which show that marijuana is not a gateway drug, so we could throw studies back and forth at each other all day long and still have no resolution to the question. From my experience with friends and family members, and from my conversations with friends who work in the medical field, the correlation of marijuana use with harder drug use is coincidental. If marijuana were truly a gateway drug, then a huge majority of marijuana users would have moved on to harder drugs by now. Since that isn't the case, claiming that marijuana use leads to hard drug use is a fallacious argument.

You can go right on believing that marijuana is a gateway drug, even though your belief goes against logic and reason. However, if you're going to argue about it on a forum you need to bring some facts or at least some reasonable statistics to back your position up. Otherwise, you're just trolling and I'll continue to post snarky comments in response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies