Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about the issue of gun control and how impassioned people get about it. Part of the reason I think it's hard for "anti-gun" and "pro-gun" people to agree about what level of restrictions, if any, should be placed on firearm ownership is that the symbolic power of what a firearm really is, is so different to these two groups.(I'll focus on handguns here as opposed to shotguns & rifles).

When "pro-gun" folks think of handguns, they have many positive associations like self-defense, family protection, independence, self-sufficiency, preparedness and the like.

When "anti-gun" folks think of handguns, they associate them with criminality, lawlessness, accidents, irresponsibility, machismo, etc.

Or so it seems to me.

But I guess my question is:

"How would you feel if you lived in a place where the open carrying of handguns was like in old Western films, that is, if most people walking down the street, shopping, eating in restaurants, etc., had one or two handguns in a holster at their sides?"

A) "I'm generally for tighter gun control, and such a scenario would make me nervous/scared."
B) "I'm against tighter restrictions on guns, and I would be comfortable knowing everyone was prepared to defend themselves."
C) Some other reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I've been thinking about the issue of gun control and how impassioned people get about it. Part of the reason I think it's hard for "anti-gun" and "pro-gun" people to agree about what level of restrictions, if any, should be placed on firearm ownership is that the symbolic power of what a firearm really is, is so different to these two groups.(I'll focus on handguns here as opposed to shotguns & rifles).

When "pro-gun" folks think of handguns, they have many positive associations like self-defense, family protection, independence, self-sufficiency, preparedness and the like.

When "anti-gun" folks think of handguns, they associate them with criminality, lawlessness, accidents, irresponsibility, machismo, etc.

Or so it seems to me.

"How would you feel if you lived in a place where the open carrying of handguns was like in old Western films, that is, if most people walking down the street, shopping, eating in restaurants, etc., had one or two handguns in a holster at their sides?"

A) "I'm generally for tighter gun control, and such a scenario would make me nervous/scared."
B) "I'm against tighter restrictions on guns, and I would be comfortable knowing everyone was prepared to defend themselves."
C) Some other reaction.
I'd bet society would be more polite .

I would have no issue with it. You are far less likely to draw a weapon when you know the person you're aiming for has one too.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Historically, and contrary to "Hollywood" history, the old west was safer from a crime standpoint than a modern day city like Chicago.

I'd have no problem with it whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
unfortunately the gun control people dont see the criminal as a threat. they see him as a victim. they see me- the homeowner & NRA member- as a threat.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 PM

582 posts, read 778,853 times
Quote:
Everyone walking around town with handguns is Hollywood and not the old west. Most town had you turn in your handgun when you entered. Here is a link showing an old photo of main street in Dodge City.
Front Street, Dodge City, Kansas, 1878 The sign... | Bufflehead Cabin

And an ordinance from Tombstone
Ordinance No.9:
“To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons” (effective April 19, 1881).
Section 1. “It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.
Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.
Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.”

Generally you checked in your gun at the stable or sheriff's office and received a token. You turned the token back in when you left.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post

Or so it seems to me.

C) Some other reaction.
I do live in a place where open carry is "like in the old Western films." In the bush the overwhelming majority of Alaskans are armed for bear and other critters. What most take for granted is that humans are on the top of the food chain only because of our ability to make and use tools. Without those tools human beings are prey, not predators.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM

382 posts, read 721,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
Everyone walking around town with handguns is Hollywood and not the old west.
That's a good point. That's why I mentioned "Western films" because I was pretty sure that people couldn't literally carry their sidearms everywhere. But I guess I was just imagining a hypothetical situation where people could in fact do that.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

I've been around groups of armed, both openly and concealed, and no one was ever shot or threatened in any way, without any law enforcement in sight.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unfortunately the gun control people dont see the criminal as a threat. they see him as a victim. they see me- the homeowner & NRA member- as a threat.
and there in lies the problem. the antigun people see law abiding citizens as potential criminals that can go off at any minute, despite not having any kind of track record of instability. but they see the criminal as someone that is a victim, despite the fact that the criminal does have a record of instability, but we cant hold that against those poor people now can we?

Quote:
Everyone walking around town with handguns is Hollywood and not the old west. Most town had you turn in your handgun when you entered. Here is a link showing an old photo of main street in Dodge City.

Ordinance No.9:
Section 1. “It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.
Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.
Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.”

Generally you checked in your gun at the stable or sheriff's office and received a token. You turned the token back in when you left.
that was true in towns where wyatt earp was marshal, he instituted those ordinances in both of those towns. there were many other towns back in the day where you were allowed to carry your firearm with you. it was also in a time where the law abiding citizen hod not only the right but the responsibility to help capture criminals and defend the town against criminal gangs.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:

Ordinance No.9:

Heck it wasn't just the west, even in the South they had those kinds of rules.

Going Armed to the Terror of the People « North Carolina Criminal Law

NC court case 1843

A person guilty of this offense

(1) arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon

(2) for the purpose of terrifying others and

(3) goes about on public highways

(4) in a manner to cause terror to the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies