Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Dr. Harper feels that the HPV vaccine has been oversold. She says that regular pap smears are a far more effective measure at preventing cervical cancer then the vaccine and she is concerned that the vaccine does not have long lasting effects (only lasting 4 or 5 years). I agree with her on all counts.
"dr" harper is a quack antivax activist

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
The HPV vaccine offers zero protection for the HPV strains that cause genital warts. Do some research and stop spreading misinformation all over the internet.
I suggest you do some research.

The most common HPV types that infect the anogenital tract are HPV types 6, 11, 16, and 18 (HPV-6, HPV-11, HPV-16, and HPV-18), although other HPV types can also infect the anogenital tract. Among these, HPV-6 and HPV-11 are most commonly associated with benign lesions such as genital warts and mild dysplasia of the cervix (potentially precancerous changes in the appearance of cervical cells under a microscope) and are termed "low-risk" HPV types. In contrast, HPV-16 and HPV-18 are the types found in the majority of cervical and anogenital cancers as well as severe dysplasia of the cervix. These belong to the so-called "high-risk" group of HPVs.

Genital Warts (HPV) Symptoms, Transmission, Types, Vaccine, Testing, Diagnosis, Treatment, and more - MedicineNet

Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Home

Several times I have read that Gardasil does help prevent the type that can cause genital warts. Gardasil also claims to.

I stand corrected.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"dr" harper is a quack antivax activist
No she's not. She was misquoted though by some though and those misquotes are the reason why some people think she's a quack.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
No she's not. She was misquoted though by some though and those misquotes are the reason why some people think she's a quack.
I stand by my words...when she ATTENDS and SPEAKS at antivax conventions, she also appeared in the anti vax film 'the greater good'...then she is what I claim

she is an antivax quack activist

Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm a nurse, as well. If I had a young daughter, you bet I'd have her vaccinated. I have a grown son. Had he been younger when this vaccine came out, I would have had him vaccinated. The HPV strains 6, 11, 16 and 18 can cause everything from genital warts to cervical cancer to oropharyngeal cancers.
As for the Pap test, we're arguing semantics. It's an excellent screening tool but doesn't prevent cancer in and of itself.

Great. That is your choice but fortunately for you, it was not one that your really had to make a decision on since your child was too old. I will talk with my children about safe sex, STD's, abstinence and condoms. I'll encourage open lines of communication and the importance of regular pap smears. There have been some very serious adverse effects from this particular vaccine and my choice is to not get it for my children.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I stand by my words...when she ATTENDS and SPEAKS at antivax conventions, she also appeared in the anti vax film 'the greater good'...then she is what I claim

she is an antivax quack activist
Speaking out about vaccines in any way shape or form makes a person an anti-vaccine quack? I see now.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
misquoted how...she is the one who wrote and published the opinion piece ...did she misquote herself???

In the December 2009 issue of Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Diane Harper published an opinion piece regarding the potential risks of both Gardasil and Cervarix, and concluded that, given the various limitations and risks of the vaccines, the benefits and risks of HPV vaccination must be weighed with the benefits and risks of HPV screening (Pap smears) to reduce cervical cancer in a cost-effective manner. This paper was challenged by many scientists , who wrote, among other things, that it "contains inaccuracies and assumptions not supported by the currently available data" and that its methodology was flawed because "Efficacy estimates alone cannot be compared across studies and populations in order to infer differences in vaccine impact."

Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Great. That is your choice but fortunately for you, it was not one that your really had to make a decision on since your child was too old. I will talk with my children about safe sex, STD's, abstinence and condoms. I'll encourage open lines of communication and the importance of regular pap smears. There have been some very serious adverse effects from this particular vaccine and my choice is to not get it for my children.
Great. Nobody is forcing you to have it. There have been some very serious adverse effects from cancer, and my choice would be for my children to have the vaccine.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Speaking out about vaccines in any way shape or form makes a person an anti-vaccine quack? I see now.
publishing lies that get debunked by your peers...makes you a quack

nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies