Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,750,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is the difference: you paid for yours and so did the others. Some on welfare are spending taxpayer dollars and you're paying for those as well.

It's like Christmas all year long for some in the welfare line! It's called "fraud"
No, poor people do not go out to tattoo shops and have thousands of dollars or even hundreds of dollars of work done. Most of the people that I know who are low income usually knows someone who does tattoos, and then they'll have a tattoo party where everyone will chip in to pay the artist a set price in return for everyone getting a tattoo. Poor people usually stretch a dollar, and just because they may have spent $30-$50 on themselves with the money they earned, does not mean that they are are committing welfare fraud.

TANF does not pay that much and requires that the parent open a child support case where the noncustodial parent will usually has to foot the bill and/or the money will be deducted from the amount of child support received. Food stamps go towards food and is based on the income that the poor are earning and the amount of people in the family. Unemployment is free to be spent on whatever and is based on the income they were making. Neither of these programs pay as much as you're trying to suggest to have enough left over to be applied to expensive tattoos...

I'll agree that SOME people do abuse the system, and we need a system that will help the poor get into a better position. However, the notion that all or most of the poor are lazy and committing fraud is not true, and the hatred some of you have for them is uncalled for. You all are applying the same exact stupidity that Liberals apply to Conservatives when they accuse you all of being racist...

Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,828,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
that's true, but not all poor people are young and vibrant and teachable. many poor people are elderly and in poor health and believe it or not some cant read or write, some have disabilities and impairments. My church group build a wheelchair ramp for this elderly lady to be able to get and out od her house. she is poor and don't have much but that was an act of kindness to her. we pulled names to adopt a family to buy gifts for during the Christmas season. this older guy approached me a few weeks ago wanting to know if I could give him a few bucks to get something to eat, I didn't have any money on me because I only had my amt card on me at the time. I went to the deli and bought him a meal while I was in the store and gave it to him on the way out.
Agreed about old people. I was talking about people under about 50 to 60 years of age. Too; I ain't talking about people of any age in wheelchairs and so on. I was talking about younger "able bodied" dudes and ladies.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,756,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK...so I have a question for you.
Since it appears that you are saying tattoos should make no difference in opinion about that person or inn who to hire, etc, etc, etc........
Now, please, give this some thought and answer as honestly as you can........why have you been rather selective about keeping your 15 or so in basically unnoticeable locations?
Easy answer - I said it shouldn't make a difference, not that it doesn't. See the distinction there?

Also, I just like having flexibility with my appearance, especially as a woman... so if I want to look "conservative" I can, and if I wanna rock the tattooed look I can do that too. My personality is a bit contradictory to begin with, so it's fun being able to easily alter that image. Also, as proven by this thread, I don't particularly like having to prove I'm not "low class" to the judgy people out there.

I have always wanted one on my lower/inner arm, though, which I might do when I'm a little more established. They don't care at my current employer, but that isn't a universal thing even here in the Bay.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It depends "where" you live. I'm guessing you work in the SF area where visible tats are might be Ok. Where I live; having NO visible tats helps and if you have visible ones, you'd be out of luck for many jobs. I say that because in Bullhead City, tats are associated with tweekers and other kinds of bad people even tho not all people with tats are "bad".
I work in a rather stuffy neighborhood in the Bay Area - not too far from SF, but worlds apart in terms of the "vibe." But yes, it absolutely depends on your regional attitudes. Didn't I already say that? Although, even our uptight neighborhoods here are still WAY more liberal-minded (both politically and generally) than most other areas.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Tats are a generational thing...it's a fad. This generation is thinking of ways to put more ink on more places on their body than ever before but, eventually a generation comes that won't get any....in an effort to separate themselves from the previous generations.

My self, I can't think of anything that is so important to me that I permanently drawn onto my body. Then there are others that can't wait to get another tattoo even though they're not sure what it will...they'll pick something out right before they it....it means that much to them.
Sorry, but tattoos have been around for THOUSANDS of years - and fairly commonplace for a few generations now, so this old adage really doesn't hold true. I'm 37 and have been getting tattoos for over 20 years; and they are extremely common among people my age, which you can hardly blame on youthful rebellion.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 PM

12,941 posts, read 9,556,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed about old people. I was talking about people under about 50 to 60 years of age. Too; I ain't talking about people of any age in wheelchairs and so on. I was talking about younger "able bodied" dudes and ladies.
That I can agree with

Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,786,492 times
Because poor people live for today and think getting tats will give them credibility and status with their peers.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,966,875 times
Ya, they should live in a cardboard shack and eat gruel. No TV no hot water. Lets go back to the days when the corporation owned the house you lived in, printed the money you spent and the owned the store you spent it at. This is a dumb idea and way of thinking, the because your poor you can't have or do anything. LOL Dumb people think like this.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 AM

23,330 posts, read 17,012,913 times
The more tattoos the more difficult it will be for bureaucrats to record on their forms, 'any distinguishing marks or tattoos'. Good day when a government form gets bested by reality.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM

12,941 posts, read 9,556,806 times
I doubt very seriously if middle aged poor people or elderly poor people are walking around sporting tattoos and looking for credibility and status among peers. I think some of us are generalizing about the poor way too much here. If you are talking about young poor people or a certain group of poor people then that should be made clear. No group or class of people all think and act the same. Poor people in my small southern city don't act anything like poor people when I lived in big cities outside of the south or even other areas of the south. I see poor YOUNG people everyday and the majority of them don't have any visible tattoos. The tone is just so negative about the poor I guess because when some people think poor they think people are lazy. How unreal is it to live in a country this big with absolutely no poor people, even jesus said we will always have the poor among us . Just be thankful and blessed if you are not poor and don't look down on or judge the least of these .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.