Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
One is a private matter the other a public matter...apples and oranges.

Pro sports salaries are predicated on the fact that their stadiums are built with tax dollars. If they did not get those tax subsidies their salaries would deflate like a punctured balloon. It is a public matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
That is the key. Their are negotiations and the two parties agree on a salary. Liberals just don't like any of that. They think the government should probably decide how much sports players make and after the government does that will then scream about the evil sports team owners who won't share any of their bounty with their players. It never ends...........

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
If the unemployed guy can develop a skill that will pack in thousands of people willing to drink beer and watch him for 3 hours, he'll be okay.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Pro sports salaries are predicated on the fact that their stadiums are built with tax dollars. If they did not get those tax subsidies their salaries would deflate like a punctured balloon. It is a public matter.
Do you realize how much money these folks make of their TV contracts? The teams I mean? If folk would just vote NO the team will either mover or build their own damn stadium. Of course then out comes the economic impact studies that a major league franchise brings to a city and the debate just goes on and on. Many owner will move if their cities won't pay for a stadium. Speakin of that how did Dallas build that stadium of theirs a few years back. Cost a billion dollars............Did Jones foot a lot of it or did the taxpayers vote to pay for it? Hey if the "people" are allowed to vote on it then that is all I ask.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
If you think professional sports is a private matter you are very wrong. Professional sports live and die by the system of tax free municipal bonds that support their stadiums. It is a multi-billion dollar scheme and subject to much controversy among tax policy wonks. Basically sports franchises piggy back off municipalities to issue tax free bonds to finance stadiums. It is a giant scam.
The sports teams dont own the stadiums.. They are owned by the tax payers.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Stadium funding is built with bonds, and paid back by visitors to the games.. Sometimes tax money is used when the arenas dont generate enough revenues to pay the bond debt, but thats not the teams fault given the teams dont own the stadiums and they are used for other public avanues like concerts..

Where is the outrage that a performer will earn millions giving concerts?

Was lefties thankful a stadium was available for Obama to have a gathering several years ago in one?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Yankees player Vernon Wells will get paid $21 million next year even though he will not be working. Meanwhile, people complain about a couple hundred bucks a week for somebody to keep paying their bills. Nothing much to say here except our priorities are really messed up.
Point 1 ... You need to check your orders because I'm pretty sure that Leftists are not supposed to be dissing Sports Stars or Hollywood types. Sports Stars are not one of the Hated 1% - they are excluded.

Point 2 ... Contact your Mayor of New York and tell him to confiscate the 21 Million and distribute it equally to those who can't pay their bills if you have a problem with the Leftist ideology.

Problem solved for the Equality of money/salary, or lack of in New York. Life is simple.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The sports teams dont own the stadiums.. They are owned by the tax payers.
The issue is not who owns the stadium, but rather who receives the bulk of the benefit of these tax free financing schemes, and that is undoubtedly sports teams.

If you ask me I think we should just abolish tax exempt municipal bonds or at least severely restrict them to stuff like road and water/sewer financing. Its pretty clear that they are abused for these kinds of projects and it is rather unfair to other businesses that cannot benefit from these public financing schemes and must pay higher interest on their own borrowing as a result.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
The issue is not who owns the stadium, but rather who receives the bulk of the benefit of these tax free financing schemes, and that is undoubtedly sports teams.

If you ask me I think we should just abolish tax exempt municipal bonds. Its pretty clear that they are abused for these kinds of projects and it is rather unfair to other businesses that cannot benefit from these public financing schemes.
They arent tax free financing schemes. The tickets are taxed to repay the bonds. Anyone who leases the stadiums benefit by having lower financing costs, be it sports teams, concerts, seminars etc..

I have seen whole towns turned around due to TIF deals. Homestead PA for example used to have $10K homes, with a bunch of projects around before an out of state developer came in and used TIF's to develop a huge shopping complex which generats tens of millions a year in tax revenues to pay for police, fire, development etc..

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:

If you ask me I think we should just abolish tax exempt municipal bonds. Its pretty clear that they are abused for these kinds of projects and it is rather unfair to other businesses that cannot benefit from these public financing schemes and must pay higher interest on their own borrowing as a result.
I'm sure all the bars, restaurants, hotels, sporting goods stores, convenience stores etc. and their employees around those stadiums are happy to have them. I'm sure the taxes paid by the players are pretty helpful to the community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies