Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The effect would be negligible, IMO.

You're also using the fallacious argument that people only shop at value stores because they can't afford to shop anywhere else, when, in fact, people of all income levels are always looking for the best prices on whatever they buy. Why on earth would you spend more for a product than you have to?
I do not know the percentages of good shoppers vs bad shoppers is but from personal experience most people I know are poor shoppers. Myself, I could afford to shop at Krogers but would take a beating and have less food. What my household does is watch the Kroger ads and cherry pick only those items that are cheaper then Walmart or Aldi's. I laugh when swiping my Kroger card it says welcome valued customer knowing I am just cherry picking there sale items and leaving.

Most of the people I know look for convenience , you know the Kroger is in my neighborhood so thus that is where I shop even though I am mostly getting raped. How about the millions who have food cards? do you think those people have any sense of price? or even know they are getting raped? or that they care because it is free to them anyway.

There is nothing wrong being poor, but my motto is at least be poor and have some smarts and common sense. My household shops at 4 different places and only drives out of the way for the butcher, I can not stand big box store meat. I get as much as I can out of every dollar I make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I do not know the percentages of good shoppers vs bad shoppers is but from personal experience most people I know are poor shoppers. Myself, I could afford to shop at Krogers but would take a beating and have less food. What my household does is watch the Kroger ads and cherry pick only those items that are cheaper then Walmart or Aldi's. I laugh when swiping my Kroger card it says welcome valued customer knowing I am just cherry picking there sale items and leaving.

Most of the people I know look for convenience , you know the Kroger is in my neighborhood so thus that is where I shop even though I am mostly getting raped. How about the millions who have food cards? do you think those people have any sense of price? or even know they are getting raped? or that they care because it is free to them anyway.

There is nothing wrong being poor, but my motto is at least be poor and have some smarts and common sense. My household shops at 4 different places and only drives out of the way for the butcher, I can not stand big box store meat. I get as much as I can out of every dollar I make.

You can tell which customers pay for their own groceries and which are on food stamps. The people paying for their own groceries actually look at the prices before putting the item into their cart.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Once again, please point to evidence that either of those things happened the last several times the minimum wage was increased.
As one with business experience, I can tell you he is right. You may never hear of it. But it happens. A department that may have been looking for some additional personel is told that must cut back on staff. Others are expected to "pick up the slack." I have seen it happen.

A worse senario is that everyone else now thinks they are entitled to an increase.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
I was hoping someone who understood employee compensation and economics would answer my narrow question directly. So far this has not happened. Instead we got another generic discussion of the pros and cons of an increased minimum wage.

Please! Can someone who understands how employee compensation is set and understands wage economics answer my original question?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Here is the question I have. Knowing how the game goes that the U S will inflate their way out of this mess when money velocity picks up where is it going to be absorbed? If you are against raising the min wage does that mean you prefer that all that money velocity be absorbed through higher food prices, gas, and rents? If that is your answer would this not increase gvt spending? since they would increase peoples money on food cards and section 8?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is between them and their employer, but their pay would not be affected.
You expect them to accept minimum wage?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM

63 posts, read 89,408 times
If minimum wage goes up to $10 hour, does Disability pay go up, too? What about Social Security retirement pay?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Skilled sales people work on commission in addition to their hourly rate. My wife used to work in retail. She was paid $22/hour and 3% commission on her sales. She was earning around $79K/year.
That's what I meant. My wife was also in retailing, and worked her way up to General Manager. She had three different stores (not all at the same time) within that company (Buffum's, now out of business since 1992) She was G.M. of the Fashion Valley Store, the Grossmont Center Store, and finally the Lomas Santa Fe Store. Buffum's was a department store on the order of a Dillard's, if you are familiar with that store. A very high end store.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have yet to see an economy collapse due to a minimum wage increase.
It never does.. but it doesn't stop people from making the claim that it will.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Again...back to my NARROW question!

Here is an article about my narrow question:

A minimum wage raise means a raise for everyone - Jan. 14, 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies