Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,172,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You have one study from 24 years ago, comparing two different states (different states = different regulatory issues, different tax structures, etc). If you had something more comprehensive and/or current to offer, you probably would have, so I'm assuming this is the only arrow in your quiver. It's not much, and certainly not enough to convince anyone that disagrees with you that you're on the right side of this issue.
Comparing two different states by calling fast food managers asking them how many employees work for them. Also, ignoring closed stores when reporting the findings.

Yes, that was that study's methodology. No labor data, no employment records. Just off the cuff surveys reported dishonestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,311,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
In a few words......

They'd be screwed, that's what would happen.

People who worked hard starting out at minimum wage and worked to get up to 10 or 11 an hour would be knocked back down to square one. It's no secret that Liberal dems don't like success or achievement, so they could care less.
If you think $10.00 or $11.00 an hour is success and achievement in 2014 when gas is $3.50 a gallon and a candy bar cost over a $1.00 then we need to do some "business" deals together.

I don't necessarily believe that raising the minimum wage is the answer either. The solutions are much more complex than that. But to think $10.00 or $11.00 an hour is some princely sum in 2014 is ridiculous. I made those exact hourly wages the last two years of my summer job while in college in the 90's when gas was a little over $1.00 a gallon. The wage helped pay part of my tuition, books, gas and recreation. It was not high on the hog pay then either. Now it's even worse.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,063,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I was hoping someone who understood employee compensation and economics would answer my narrow question directly. So far this has not happened. Instead we got another generic discussion of the pros and cons of an increased minimum wage.

Please! Can someone who understands how employee compensation is set and understands wage economics answer my original question?
You don't think that employee compensation is bound by something like physics do? There are no Ten Commandments for this.

As someone who has hired over 100 professional type people and has been part of an HR department, employee compensation is fundamentally set by the market. The market means:

1. the pool of people (potential employees) qualified to do a job
2. the likelihood that a current employee would leave for another job
3. my need for the position

The larger #1 is, the less pressure there is to increase pay. If #1 is very small, then I have to pay more to attract them to work for me.

If my employees are leaving for other opportunities, I have to figure out why. If they are leaving for more money then I need to raise pay to keep them.

For #3 if the position is really important to me - I'll probably pay more to attract the right people.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,493,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That study has been debunked repeatedly. The authors themselves admitted it was flawed. Here are the flaws found with it:
  • That 'study' was a phone survey in which the authors asked fast food managers how big their staff was
  • The study completely ignored stores that closed post-minimum wage hikes
  • There were multiple measurement errors where they misreported stores closing as having opened
  • They looked at short term time periods, not multi-year shifts
  • They relied on the word of mouth from managers remembering their staff. They never once used employment records or pay records

Studies were done by Neumark and Wascher (1992) from 1973-1989, instead of the short time period that your study saw. By comparing the employment impacts of such changes over time, Neumark and Wascher found there are negative employment effects of the minimum wage. That is consistent with a study done by Deere, et al. (1995) whihc saw large disemployment effects of the 1991 increase in federal minimum wage
In short, you don't want the poor people to make more money. I get that now. I am not sure how heartless a person can be while enjoying their good life while watching others suffer. You surely demonstrated that to me.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 PM

45,049 posts, read 60,097,876 times
Quote:
I was hoping someone who understood employee compensation and economics would answer my narrow question directly. So far this has not happened. Instead we got another generic discussion of the pros and cons of an increased minimum wage.

Please! Can someone who understands how employee compensation is set and understands wage economics answer my original question?

It had been answered by the time you posted this. By several different people using several different methods of explanation.

You weren't paying attention.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,493,281 times
I said this a number of times and I say this again:

The whole raising the minimum wage thing is nothing but a political ploy to gather support from the clueless for the Democrats. The clueless and the country have been screwed over and over again by this minimum wage thing but nonetheless, they continue to vote for the same corrupted Democrat politicians.

And there lies the precise reason why they stay poor - their incapability in understanding the basic math or having any basic clue in running a business!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,052,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Ah - so you are trying to be literal. What do you think will really happen?

Those people making $10.25/hour as per the original post will ask for a raise. Maybe not so nicely. And their boss more than likely have to give lots of people raises so their employees who have more skills than the people who just got a raise.
I remember back in the day minimum wage went up and my pay went from being a 1.25 over to about 0.25 over and my boss didn't give me a raise because of it, nor did I just quit my job. Come the following pay period I received another raise like I did each year that bumped me 0.75 over the new minimum wage. The minimum wage had no effect on my job.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,856,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
If you think $10.00 or $11.00 an hour is success and achievement in 2014 when gas is $3.50 a gallon and a candy bar cost over a $1.00 then we need to do some "business" deals together.

I don't necessarily believe that raising the minimum wage is the answer either. The solutions are much more complex than that. But to think $10.00 or $11.00 an hour is some princely sum in 2014 is ridiculous. I made those exact hourly wages the last two years of my summer job while in college in the 90's when gas was a little over $1.00 a gallon. The wage helped pay part of my tuition, books, gas and recreation. It was not high on the hog pay then either. Now it's even worse.
I never said it was a princely sum or anything like that, but it IS progress for someone who might have started out at 7.50 an hour a couple years ago. Not only that but you need to get in to the real world. 10 or 11 is a half decent wage for people who don't have college degrees or any formal education and live in a low cost of living area with a low skill job. This is the problem right here with America, the elite are the ones making decisions about lower and middle class policies.

Secondly, why is it do you think that everything costs so much more today as you pointed out in your post? It's because of inflation, and rraising the min-wage only serves to inflate the dollar even more. Just common sense, no econ degree needed.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,856,624 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffdano

Ah - so you are trying to be literal. What do
you think will really happen?

Those people making $10.25/hour as per
the original post will ask for a raise. Maybe not so nicely. And their boss more
than likely have to give lots of people raises so their employees who have more
skills than the people who just got a raise.
uhhhhh......... ok. You obviously have no idea how the management in a blue collar job works.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,420,879 times
Quote:

What happens to the semi skilled workers who use to make $3 more than Minimum Wage because they had talents and education? Will their pay go up to $13 an hour?
When I worked at babbage's software, my raises would come faster from the govt.

the answer is nothing

until the wage passes you, then you will earn the minimum.

What did you think? Aliens attack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies