Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

If the Minimum wage goes up to $10 an hour, what happens to people now making $10.01 to $11.00 an hour?

Brings up an old political cartoon.

A fast-food manager is standing there talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He says: "I've got good news, and I've got bad news.

"The good news is, the new Minimum Wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If the Minimum wage goes up to $10 an hour, what happens to people now making $10.01 to $11.00 an hour?

A fast-food manager is standing there talking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

So you think poor people shouldn't make more money?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

BTW, in many union contracts, ALL wages from bottom to top, are based on the Minimum Wage.

If the Min Wage goes up, EVERYONE'S pay goes up.

And so the price for whatever the union guys are manufacturing, has to go up too.

And so nobody is able to buy any more stuff than they could before.

And they wonder where inflation comes from.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
This has nothing to do with my narrow question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can always tell when a liberal can't refute the point you're making.

They pretend you said something else, or that you meant something you clearly didn't.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lost in the discussion about the potential raise in the minimum wage is what impact that will have on people who CURRENTLY make slightly more than the new minimum wage when it is implemented.

Here is what I am talking about:

Current Minimum Wage $7.25 an hour is paid to mostly people with no skills and in retail or fast food.

Semi Skilled person working in a position such as an Office Clerk, Nurses Aide, Receptionist, Cook, factory worker with some skills, etc. (Lets say they currently make $10.25 an hour)

They are paid more than minimum wage because these semi skilled employees have some unique education and talents and the marketplace says they should make more than minimum wage.

OK now, lets say President Obama is successful and get a law passed that will increase the Minimum Wage to $10.00 an hour and now low skilled fast food workers make $10 an hour.

What happens to the semi skilled workers who use to make $3 more than Minimum Wage because they had talents and education? Will their pay go up to $13 an hour?
I will answer your question. IMO some employers will give raises but no where near 3 bucks an hour. Take my employer as a example, they threw everyone in the Obamacare exchange but did employees get any compensation? Nope, they just pocketed the savings. If min wage is raised I expect a 25 cent increase, so far every move my employer has made I have predicted because they are so predictable.

Last edited by Swingblade; 01-17-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
You have to ask for more money and, if you are worth it to your employer, you will probably get some.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:23 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wow, of course he thinks poor people should make more money. I started out poor, he started out poor, we're all in favor of poor people making more money. This has to be through development and improvement of their own human capital, one by one, so as to be of greater value to the rest of society. An arbitrary law that criminalizes the sale of low-skill labor for its market value will only hurt the poor.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is between them and their employer, but their pay would not be affected.
Really?

When minimum wage is raised, all boats will expect to raise as well. The bottom up CONtango.

One thing is certain; employers will only hire people with more experience, or automate. There will be less entry level on-the-job training jobs, except for those that are already well above $10, such as construction apprenticeships.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I was hoping someone who understood employee compensation and economics would answer my narrow question directly. So far this has not happened. Instead we got another generic discussion of the pros and cons of an increased minimum wage.

Please! Can someone who understands how employee compensation is set and understands wage economics answer my original question?
The higher the minimum wage, the higher the wages of union workers whose pay is tied to it.
Minimum-wage hikes are beneficial to unions. The increases restrict the ability of businesses to hire low-skill workers who might gladly work for lower wages in order to gain experience. Union members thus face less competition from workers who might threaten union jobs.

This view is not speculation. A 2004 study in the Journal of Human Resources by economists William Wascher, Mark Schweitzer and David Neumark determined that lower-wage union workers typically see a boost in employment and earned income following a mandated wage hike. Never mind the corresponding drop in jobs and earned income for nonunion minimum-wage workers.

They may have been priced out of the jobs they need, but that is not the union’s concern—its members have landed higher wages and reduced competition for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies