Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,492,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Again...back to my NARROW question!

Here is an article about my narrow question:

A minimum wage raise means a raise for everyone - Jan. 14, 2014

Don't interrupt the Unicorn Parade!! Kumbayah!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Not who you were talking to. However, that was a 70 cent increase not a $2.75 increase.

If we take it to an extreme, you would admit that if we raised minimum wage by 1 cent...nothing would be perceived to be effected...if we raised minimum wage by $50, there would be a massive effect in inflation.

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to a modest increase in minimum wage.
Thank you, finally I get to read a conservative with common sense. All most are asking for are a modest increase. Some states would obviously see a larger increase than others, but by no means does this increase have to happen tomorrow. I would expect any minimum wage increase happen over a series of years.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,290,517 times
Default If the Minimum wage goes up to $10 an hour, what happens to people now making $10.01 to $11.00 an hour?

Well, I'll tell you how I felt. I went to work for a large company back in 1974. I
took a pay cut because I wanted insurance and vacation. I started in an entry
level position with several hundred people as the company just enlarged and had
a huge make over. We all started at 1.87 an hour (1974, different times). Busted
my butt for a couple months and got a raise (up to 2.00 an hour) because I was
doing very well. Two weeks later, everybody that was hired with me got raised
up to 2.00 an hour. All the mediocre and lousy employees as well. ''Great, I'll get
a raise too''. Nope, still at 2.00. I felt like I wasted my efforts. I gotta admit I
just didn't go 100% for a long time. I felt used.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,868,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thank you, finally I get to read a conservative with common sense. All most are asking for are a modest increase. Some states would obviously see a larger increase than others, but by no means does this increase have to happen tomorrow. I would expect any minimum wage increase happen over a series of years.

I really don't think increasing the minimum wage will accomplish anything because if it go up to $10 an hour employers will hire less and offer less hours.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I really don't think increasing the minimum wage will accomplish anything because if it go up to $10 an hour employers will hire less and offer less hours.
That is just an excuse that gets repeated.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
That is just an excuse that gets repeated.

I just see it causing all kinds of problems like mcdonald's raising their prices even higher which make result in less customers.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I just see it causing all kinds of problems like mcdonald's raising their prices even higher which make result in less customers.
Has McDonalds prices caused you to stop going there?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Has McDonalds prices caused you to stop going there?

I don't go there as much for dinner anymore because those prices are out of control. If you get a quarter pounder and fries with a drink that's close to $10 total with tax.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:02 AM

3,008 posts, read 2,259,585 times
If we automatically raise the min wage a huge amount that could cause problems but raising it slowly in increments will not do much harm.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,228,860 times
Quote:
Every business, and every department in a business has a budget. When the minimum wage goes up, the budget is not automatically increased. Therefore, there is still only so much in the budget for hiring new employees. It is likely that any open personnel requests will be cancelled.

This, of course, depends on the business, and on the economy as a whole. In todays economy, I don't think there is much hiring going on anywhere.

The problem with most proponents of minimum wage increases is that they do not know how a business operates. They think if you force a higher wage on businesses, it automatically benefits everybody, and there is no negative effect. They are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies