Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:28 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times

Advertisements

Everytime the min wage gets talked about being increased we hear whining and complaing that prices are gonna shoot up, unemployement increase and other terrible things and other things and none of that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Funny how that always works.

Give money to poor people, and it makes them lazy.

Give money to rich people, and it'll stimulate the economy!

And sadly it's very often poor/uneducated people who believe that. That's why Republicans cut education funding every chance they get.
It is funny how you see the CEO of companies continue to make more and more yet if they increase the wage of their lowest wage worker people say they would go out of busines.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:49 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've had jobs making slightly above minimum wage, and have NEVER gotten a raise when minimum wage went up,
Hmmmm...mine always did. Maybe my employers thought that if they didn't what would stop me from fjnding a job elsewhere for higher pay since I'd still be more qualified than entry level.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You can tell which customers pay for their own groceries and which are on food stamps. The people paying for their own groceries actually look at the prices before putting the item into their cart.
Way to generalize... we used to get FS and I've always been a savvy shopper. I now teach couponing and bargain shopping techniques to low-income people who get FS and they come back all excited because they learned to stretch their budgets

Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Hmmm, wonder if Urbanlife seen this story of the great effects of raising the min wage too high?

Longtime Seattle manufacturer moving 100 jobs to Nevada | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Granted that it was only 100 jobs but could this be a trend with this company moving more jobs else where? Would it surprise anyone if other employers do the same?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
How are tiny increases like .25 to .50 gonna hurt the business? Giving more money to employees benefits the employee so they do not have to rely on government programs and it helps the business because that ismore money in peoples hands so they can spend it. Do you not realize that many people who buy products from businesses are the people who work at these businesses?
Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 is increasing labor costs on businesses by about 40%, hardly a tiny increase. So these employees suddenly have more money in their pocket, but their employer has to raise prices to offset that huge labor cost increase. Not really much of a gain there.

And for a family of four, they're still in poverty even after the wage increases to $10.10. No gain there.

There should absolutely be no Federal minimum wage. It should be set locally, because cost of living varies wildly across this country -- an income that's livable in a small town might not even cover rent in a city like San Francisco. If big cities want to raise their local minimum wage to $15 because those cities are so expensive to live in, that's their business. If they set the minimum too low, businesses won't be able to fill low-skill positions. If they set it too high, businesses will relocate.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Hmmmm...mine always did. Maybe my employers thought that if they didn't what would stop me from fjnding a job elsewhere for higher pay since I'd still be more qualified than entry level.

If you're an employer in a college town, employees come and go but there is a perpetual surplus of warm bodies to work for you cheap.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 is increasing labor costs on businesses by about 40%, hardly a tiny increase. So these employees suddenly have more money in their pocket, but their employer has to raise prices to offset that huge labor cost increase. Not really much of a gain there.

And for a family of four, they're still in poverty even after the wage increases to $10.10. No gain there.

There should absolutely be no Federal minimum wage. It should be set locally, because cost of living varies wildly across this country -- an income that's livable in a small town might not even cover rent in a city like San Francisco. If big cities want to raise their local minimum wage to $15 because those cities are so expensive to live in, that's their business. If they set the minimum too low, businesses won't be able to fill low-skill positions. If they set it too high, businesses will relocate.

What's to stop locals from setting minimum wage low enough to guarantee full employment for their own kids, while driving out adults who can't live on such a low wage? (A win-win for the locals.)

Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Hmmm, wonder if Urbanlife seen this story of the great effects of raising the min wage too high?

Longtime Seattle manufacturer moving 100 jobs to Nevada | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Granted that it was only 100 jobs but could this be a trend with this company moving more jobs else where? Would it surprise anyone if other employers do the same?
A few things with this, if $15hr hurts this manufacturing company, then they clearly are not that profitable to begin with because that means they are currently paying those people much less than that now.

Second, the article points out a much bigger issue. Seattle is expensive! We all agree that rents are high in Seattle and I am sure as soon as this business moves out, there will be companies that are worth more that will be fighting for that leasable space.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
The answer is almost nothing. Some will go up but many will simply be paid the same.

Nice little trick in wording about only 11% from poor households. Technically true but 100% of FPL is VERY poor. It will benefit many near poor households. Its not all 16 year olds at Subway.

I actually know people in the 100-150% FPL category well. Many will complaining here claim they do. Most will be liars. Most consider these people the poo they wipe off their shoe, often lumping them in with professional couch potatoes. (Ive seen the right wing cartoons on this issue. Don't BS me.)

The last increase cause very little disruption.

And pre answering the question of why not just make it 20 an hour... The answer is balance. Something many here have no concept of. Its ALL about the wealthy.

Now would I listen to an expansion of EIC? Sure but that will only cause more whining about how 40 odd percent "don't pay taxes." (Which is not true but that is another issue)

This is what is missing in America. Balance. The people running both parties either want it so even the laziest get a big house, while the other side stomps up and down at anything that erodes the economic power of the wealthy over "Joe sixpack".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies