Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
But why do we have to make it so easy? Especially to kill a lot in a short period of time.
As I recall, there was an incident, last year I believe, where an old man drove his car through a farmers market - the whole ride took, oh 1 maybe 2 minutes. 6 or 7 were killed and scores others were hurt.

Took less time than this recent mall shooting.

Guess we made it too easy - we need to get rid of cars too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As I recall, there was an incident, last year I believe, where an old man drove his car through a farmers market - the whole ride took, oh 1 maybe 2 minutes. 6 or 7 were killed and scores others were hurt.

1 or 2 minutes....

According to the people in his thread you can get way more carnage with a gun, if they are needed for hunting and protection why is more necessary?

It would be nice to get rid of cars when unnecessary.....because the reduction in exhaust and people getting around by bike and walking would be healthier, but that could be the topic of another post.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
It would be nice to get rid of cars when unnecessary.
Won't happen

Nor, will getting rid of firearms happen

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Sorry, but I only go by my "feelings" and if I "feel" that a particular gun is real scary looking, that's good enough for me and I think it should be banned.

Scary is a matter if personal interpretation; To you a particular type of gun may look scary, but to us gun enthusiasts, it's a beautiful piece of artwork.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Scary is a matter if personal interpretation; To you a particular type of gun may look scary, but to us gun enthusiasts, it's a beautiful piece of artwork.
Mike, you and LionKing are gonna have to educate me on guns. My FIL has a few, but I think they are too big for me. I tried shooting them at the gun range but they were a little too heavy for me. I'm looking to buy a few in the next year or two ~ or at least before they eventually get banned

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I think that was an accident though...

I do agree that they need to start checking elderly more and give them tests when they start losing their ability to drive. That's a different topic.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
Guns will never get banned. I would like to see some banned or a less paranoid culture or at least more responsible ownership.....that will never happen.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i dont really much care which they keep or ban, though people react so strong to appearance i would stay away from assault rifle appearance. however i am concerned from the CD posts i see that people have a very distorted sense of what is going to happen when they use that firearm under any but the most utmost extreme life threatening conditions.
putting it real real simple, regardless of what i have had quoted to me from state laws, by some well intentioned but somewhat abrupt posters, if (other than inside the home) you shoot somebody and there are not some holes of some sort in you, a good bet you are going to be punished. that goes for cops and citizens alike. you will not ride off into the sunset with your cowboy hat on, while being admired by a cheering crowd. ask Mr. Horn.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
The cowboy western movies used, generally, Colt .45 revolvers and Winchester lever action rifles with a couple of 12 gauge shotguns thrown in for looks. None of these guns look 'scary" because they are so familiar. Not incidentally they are some of the most efficient weapons ever made and are really deadly.

Modern ‘assault rifles” look scary but most are pretty had to shoot well because the things are nearly impossible to control on full automatic. They can spray a lot of bullets and are deadly because of that. Fully automatic assault rifles are very difficult to own under existing law. These are generally not used by criminals except on TV, most criminals probably use .38 caliber revolvers because they are numerous and easy to use at close range.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Mike, you and LionKing are gonna have to educate me on guns. My FIL has a few, but I think they are too big for me. I tried shooting them at the gun range but they were a little too heavy for me. I'm looking to buy a few in the next year or two ~ or at least before they eventually get banned
There are a lot of guns tailored for smaller statured people. As more and more women get into the shooting sports this is improving. Go to a good gun shop and they'll be more than happy to set you up with a .22 rifle that fits you well and it's a great, fun gun to get started with. Welcome to the shooting sports!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies