Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OTOH, I have a friend who took her kids out of Catholic schools when she and her spouse discovered the local public school kids were ahead in certain areas, e.g. math. It's all a very individual basis. The local Catholic high schools, while good, don't offer as many AP courses and such as the larger public high schools.
As I noted earlier, there are many public schools doing a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I want specifics. What processes does your district use to ensure that children have transportation to and from their schools of choice? Describe it for me.

Here's a scenario:

Anthony, Taye, and Edward are next door neighbors who have enrolled in different middle schools through the voucher program. Anthony has chosen a charter school three miles north (7:50-3:10); Taye has been accepted to a k-8 private school in an adjoining town about ten miles south (8:50-4:10); and Edward has chosen to attend the public middle school in the same town as Taye's private school (7:50-3:10). How does each get to and from school?

Last edited by randomparent; 01-19-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because there is nothing to just pulling up and moving after 3 months.
With vouchers there is no school district. Moving your kid to another school is as simple as driving across town.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
With vouchers there is no school district. Moving your kid to another school is as simple as driving across town.
Again, who's doing the driving?

PGHQuest: How many "other" schools out there do you think exists that they need to make special bussing for?

Between public, charter, and private schools, there are dozens within a 5-mile radius of my suburban home. In a large, highly-populated, metro region, there may be several hundred schools in a ten-mile radius.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I noted earlier, there are many public schools doing a good job.
yes, the point is to give parents a choice to determine whats "good".

How many public schools in project neighborhoods are failing? Wouldnt it be nice to give parents a choice to send their kids to another school that isnt failing?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes, the point is to give parents a choice to determine whats "good".

How many public schools in project neighborhoods are failing? Wouldnt it be nice to give parents a choice to send their kids to another school that isnt failing?
Without safe, reliable transportation for every student regardless of means, the voucher system's promise of "choice" for all is an illusion.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-19-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Again, who's doing the driving?

PGHQuest: How many "other" schools out there do you think exists that they need to make special bussing for?

Between public, charter, and private schools, there are dozens within a 5-mile radius of my suburban home. In a large, highly-populated, metro region, there may be several hundred schools in a ten-mile radius.
I used to ride my bike to school. All the way across town. It was the only school in town.

Solves two problems. Obesity and transportation

Old 01-19-2014, 08:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Without sage, reliable transportation for every student regardless of means, the voucher system's promise of "choice" for all is an illusion.
Transportation issues are the least of the problems. To suggest people shouldnt be allowed to go to school where they want, is like suggesting you shouldnt be allowed to live, or work, where you want

Are there logistical issues to deal with, or course, but thats such a minor issue that to pretend its an issue that makes vouchers impossible is about as silly as suggesting one school in the OP closing equates to failure for all.

There are already private schools, and even public schools with private partnerships operating, and they do just fine.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I used to ride my bike to school. All the way across town. It was the only school in town.

Solves two problems. Obesity and transportation
By no means am I opposed to children walking/riding to school. My kids walked to school everyday through elementary school, but it is simply not possible for them to get to and from their middle and high school without being driven. Alternatively, they could take public transportation (light rail), but the cost would be prohibitive to many families. It's pretty pricey, even with a student discount.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
To suggest people shouldnt be allowed to go to school where they want, is like suggesting you shouldnt be allowed to live, or work, where you want.
Please don't misunderstand; I am not opposed to school choice. I am opposed to the widely-held belief that school choice somehow evens the playing field. It does not, and in some ways it even worsens the stratification. Vouchers are an illusion that allow us to think that we're providing a solution to inequalities in educational access, while creating new problems in the process.

Quote:
Transportation issues are the least of the problems.
I strongly disagree. Student transportation is not a small issue; it is an enormous issue.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-19-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies