Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The difference between normal and abnormal.
So a "normal" parent spoiling and entitling their kids and teaching them to bully and hate and discriminate would be better than a "not normal" parent teaching their kid to love others and work hard for what they want in life?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
The difference between normal and abnormal.

That makes zero sense.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
So a "normal" parent spoiling and entitling their kids and teaching them to bully and hate and discriminate would be better than a "not normal" parent teaching their kid to love others and work hard for what they want in life?

So you automatically assume that the normal parents are going to do those things and the "not normal" are just going to be great parents? Well I came come up with others scenarios also.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Considering that all other things were equal, would it be better for a child to be raised by straight or gay parents?
It will be what it will be.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:41 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
That makes zero sense.

To most people it would. Government school??

nor·mal
ˈnôrməl/
adjective
adjective: normal
  1. 1.
    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

ab·nor·mal
abˈnôrməl/
adjective
adjective: abnormal
  1. 1.
    deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
Quote:
So you automatically assume that the normal parents are going to do those things and the "not normal" are just going to be great parents? Well I came come up with others scenarios also.
Did I assume that would be the case? No, not at all. Most people have been raised by people that we could all consider "normal" and they've turned out fine; many people have also been raised by abnormal parents and not turned out so well. It goes either way. I'm just refuting his point that normality (or lack thereof) solely affects the quality of a parent. I was giving a counterexample to his generalization. Long story short, "normality" can never be a good judge of parenting skills.

In fact, as I see it, the less "normal" the better; everyone is unique and weird in their own way and should make that known, not hide it behind some stupid facade of "normalcy".

Old 01-18-2014, 03:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Quote:
To most people it would. Government school??

nor·mal
ˈnôrməl/
adjective
adjective: normal
  1. 1.
    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

ab·nor·mal
abˈnôrməl/
adjective
adjective: abnormal
  1. 1.
    deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable or worrying.
I know what the words mean, just the way you used them this time doesn't make sense.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:23 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Children do best when they are raised in biological intact families, so all things being equal (including the child was planned for and wanted) with biological Mom and Dad is my choice. But that perfect scenario doesn't always exist, so you start asking what can be changed and still give a child a good life. Truthfully, if the child can't have Mom and Dad who are in a healthy loving committed long-term relationship, who are thrilled to be parents, who can financially support the family, who are committed to doing what is in the best interest of the child, then having Dad and Dad, or Mom and Mom, who have all the other variables is certainly better than giving up some of the other things. Frankly, the children just want to be loved and cared for, and far too many don't get that. There aren't that many prefect families out there and some imperfections cause less damage than others, including having gay parents.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Considering that all other things were equal, would it be better for a child to be raised by straight or gay parents?
Why is this even a question? Anything answered would be pure speculation, no evidence or facts whatsoever to back up anything stated.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
It would be better for a child to be raised by those who love them, and care for them, no matter their orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies