Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

I think with the advances in technology we can do better than "old fashioned". How about robot killing machines? Or drones that sneak into the death chamber in the middle of the night?

I vote for "new fashioned". :grin:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
I don't think any person or group of people has the right to take a human life.

The government is nothing more than a group of people.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, I'm here to disagree. I don't think it is abused, and there are years of appeals (probably too many) that allow for all doubt to be eliminated.

The death penalty is just punishment for the crime of murder, and it is prescribed by God (and I don't care if you are an atheist, that's your problem). "If a man sheds another mans blood, by man shall his blood be shed."

Man was made in the image of God. Therefore, murder is a crime against God himself. Ipse dixit!
God also told us how we should treat our slaves and when we should stone people for adultery. . It is prescribed by God (and I don't care if you are an atheist, that's your problem).

Also don't forgot that touching Mount Sinai was ended with your death penalty.
Or if your wife wasn't a virgin on your wedding night. -That's her stoning 'til death.
Or if you don't obey your parents. That's also the death penalty.
And giving your kids to Molech.
And for breaking the Sabbath.
Etc.

We can all agree, as with the poster I quoted, that all those people should be killed as well.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Default Execution not a liberal vs conservative controversy

..even though it seems to break down along those lines. But it is about how we human beings are or are not wired for civility.

You can only poke a fork in someone once and kill them...got that ravenous killers. No matter what the accused and convicted did, there is no way to bring back the victim. There is no penalty great enough to right the wrong of murder. So at that point the issue becomes what kind of person are you?

The death penalty and how it is administered becomes about what kind of human being you are. After you have acted on your vile, baseborn, primitive instincts for revenge killing, which you call justice, the victim is still dead, never to be seen again by their loved ones.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
..even though it seems to break down along those lines. But it is about how we human beings are or are not wired for civility.

You can only poke a fork in someone once and kill them...got that ravenous killers. No matter what the accused and convicted did, there is no way to bring back the victim. There is no penalty great enough to right the wrong of murder. So at that point the issue becomes what kind of person are you?

The death penalty and how it is administered becomes about what kind of human being you are. After you have acted on your vile, baseborn, primitive instincts for revenge killing, which you call justice, the victim is still dead, never to be seen again by their loved ones.
It's not about revenge, but justice and protection. It's about keeping an innocent society flourishing by putting down those who seek to inflict violence on others, and then, use them as an example with swift punishment as a deterrent. Justice certainly isn't feeding them and housing them for decades on death row.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
When I mentioned liberalism backfiring, I meant the liberalism on the part of the European companies giving in to liberal pressure at home and not sending us the traditional execution drug cocktails. THAT is the reason why states have to resort to new drug combinations that haven't been used before.

Now I don't know if this criminal Dennis McGuire suffered physically or not. Even if he did, that is still less suffering than that of the pregnant woman he raped and murdered in cold blood. But if the Europeans had just sent the drugs here like they used to, there wouldn't be this controversy about how he was executed. I don't know why we can't product the European style drug cocktails for execution in the first place. I wonder if it had something to do with liberals in the American medical industry. These same liberals are okay with doctors performing abortions.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I think crimes like first degree murder, treason, espionage, etc should keep the death penalty as an option. Of course it can still depend on the circumstances. For example I think the spy Jonathan Pollard has a just sentence in prison because he spied for Israel. If he had spied for North Korea he should have been executed.

I also think that foreign spies caught in the US should be given the death penalty as a deterrent to future espionage operations against the US.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think crimes like first degree murder, treason, espionage, etc should keep the death penalty as an option. Of course it can still depend on the circumstances. For example I think the spy Jonathan Pollard has a just sentence in prison because he spied for Israel. If he had spied for North Korea he should have been executed.

I also think that foreign spies caught in the US should be given the death penalty as a deterrent to future espionage operations against the US.
A lot of times spies aren't executed because they catch ours too....and we make trades.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Does one death prevent killing others and does it make you feel good or even better ?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
If we executed every murderer and rapist, considering there are 12,000 murders and God knows how many rapes every year in the US, we'd have to shed rivers of blood. Certainly a large number of wrongly convicted people would be in those years, since guilt is determined by a jury.

I'd rather not have a death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies