U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:51 AM

33,031 posts, read 25,297,994 times

Advertisements

I propose that he get his wish; all pro-life people should leave the state at first opportunity. Let him see how that works out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 PM

12,977 posts, read 13,587,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I propose that he get his wish; all pro-life people should leave the state at first opportunity. Let him see how that works out.
Why? He never said what the OP said he did.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 14,506,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This one is actually easy to understand.
  • Part of his name is historically Arabic. Many people assume a Mario has Italian heritage, Patrick has Irish heritage, Yuri has Russian heritage and the list goes on and on.
  • He spent a good chunk of his youth living in a predominately Muslim country.
  • His stepfather was Muslim.
Does it mean he is a Muslim? No. But, is it reasonable for someone to theorize he is? Yes

Reverend Wright is his own special problem and I'm not even going to go there, because that would be a whole new thread. I do agree if someone brings this up right after claiming Obama is Muslim they are just trying to find things to diss about Obama.

Sadly, my husband gets this all the time. He is actually more philosophical about it than I am. Sometimes when people make these claims they are indeed racist, but sometimes they are people who are genuinely baffled by why what they perceive as the unfairness of such programs. When people make statements like that I try to understand their angle before assuming they are racists. For some, because they don't think less of people of other races, or treat them differently, they assume everyone else operates the same way too and therefore such programs are unfair.

IIRC, his grandmother started that ball rolling by some comment she made and people who didn't like him for one reason or another simply ran with the ball. You may not remember, but there were all kinds of issues with Gerald Ford, and claims that he shouldn't hold an office because he was adopted. There was all kinds of ruckus about JFK too.

Because they don't like him or they don't like his policies so they are willing to believe anything negative about him. Many of these same people have zero issues or negative things to say about Herman Cain, Ben Carter, Tim Scott, Alan West, or Thomas Stovall. That they don't like him is clear, it's the why that isn't so easy to pinpoint.

I didn't call you intolerant, I pointed out such a viewpoint displayed intolerance. One is an indictment of your character, the other is my evaluation of an action or statement. There is a difference. It is like when I have a student bomb an exam - it is perfectly fine for me to tell that student they failed the test but it is absolutely wrong to tell them they are a failure. And maybe that is where part of the real problem lies, when people take isolated incidents or comments and make global assumptions about the character of the person based on them.

And bottom line, simply because someone has a different viewpoint does not mean they are wrong, let alone some evil person whose opinion should not be tolerated. Very, very few things when dealing with people or their opinions are black and white, they are amazingly infinite shades of grey. Nor does disliking a particular person of another race mean the person is a racist - sometimes they just don't like that person and wouldn't no matter what race they were.

I need to spread some reputation around so I can rep this.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 PM

36,758 posts, read 13,130,726 times
He's just ticked because a state judge found the "Cuomo Clip" unconstitutional last week.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

36,544 posts, read 37,555,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I always am baffled at why liberals claim to be such open minded and tolerant people, but yet if you disagree with their political views you are somehow a bad person and have no place in society. .
It's because when you come down to diversity, they aren't diverse at all when it comes to ideas and opinions. They just want you silenced/banned.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM

5,460 posts, read 4,179,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
How odd that your cited link does not contain the actual quote except in the headline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So much for belief in the 1st Amendment from the right.

Not to mention the misleading thread title being totally without context OR accuracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Why? He never said what the OP said he did.

Here's the quote from Cuomo:

"You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are."

Thankfully, I do not live in New York. In between Weiner, Bloomberg, de Blahsio, Hillary, Spitzer and a handful of other nutty pols, it sounds like a zoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqB8rTD2ZCA

Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM

26,766 posts, read 14,050,782 times
7 pages in and not a single conservative posting realizes that Governor Coumo didnt even say this.

There is not a single quote on the linked page,not even the title is in quotes.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,233,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
7 pages in and not a single conservative posting realizes that Governor Coumo didnt even say this.

Your have to understand... It doesn't matter to them.

Truth is not a value-- The only value is whether something is congruent with their warped world view. There are new threads every day whose entire premise is a lie-- Yet the conservative nut jobs continue to defend it. After defending the lie, they claim moral superiority.

I take great solace in that their numbers are shrinking and that in a one-person, one-vote non gerrymandered election, they could win no national elections.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM

9,874 posts, read 9,709,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
more tolerance of different views from the left.
Governor Cuomo just proved the double standard that the left follows "our views are the only legit ones".

oh and one more thing. Cuomo is RICH and WHITE. I guess because he is a liberal makes
that ok.

Andrew Cuomo: Pro-Life People "Have No Place in the State of New York" | LifeNews.com
I don't care. I have no intention of EVER going to New York (City OR State), and I certainly would never live there!
In fact, I doubt if I will ever go East of the Mississippi again.
Although it would be nice to visit our daughter in WV, and the family plot in the cemetery in PA.
I don't think either will happen.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 PM

18,942 posts, read 13,884,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Gov. Cuomo Says Extreme Conservatives Have No Future In New York | New York Daily News

Quote:
Who are they?” Cuomo said about the Republicans. “Are they these extreme conservative, right to life, pro assault weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are, and if they are the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York. Because that’s not who New Yorkers are. If they are moderate Republicans, like in the Senate right now, who control the Senate - moderate Republicans have a place in this state.”
He said it to Susan Arbetter while speaking on the public radio program "The Capitol Pressroom". I'm sure you can get a transcript of the program, if you are really interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies