Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:29 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times

Advertisements

thanks for proving the double standard of the left.
It's only ok if the the left does it. Apparently Cuomo does not
believe in free speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So much for belief in the 1st Amendment from the right.

Not to mention the misleading thread title being totally without context OR accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
But what makes something racist or homophobic? I have had many accuse me of being homophobic on this forum because I am indifferent to gay marriage - not against, indifferent. My favorite is the number of times I get accused of being a racist because I don't like Obama or agree with some social policy or the other - when I am more black than Obama. Differring viewpoints do not automatically make one person wrong and one right.
You are 100% correct.

You can certainly be against Obama's policies-- These views should absolutely be tolerated. If you think he's a secret Muslim, black panther half-wit, who got to his position through affirmative action, something else is afoot...

Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
thanks for proving the double standard of the left.
It's only ok if the the left does it. Apparently Cuomo does not
believe in free speech.
The 1st amendment guarantees freedom from government sanction for speech. Is anyone being sanctioned by the government?

Only a 5th grader thinks that free speech means you can say whatever you want, whenever you want and be free from social consequence.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You are 100% correct.

You can certainly be against Obama's policies-- These views should absolutely be tolerated. If you think he's a secret Muslim, black panther half-wit, who got to his position through affirmative action, something else is afoot...
I don't think those things but believing them does not automatically make someone a racist. That is where your intolerance comes in.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 142,109 times
If you need some blowhard politician to say this to realize liberals are the most hateful spiteful people on this earth then I feel sorry for you.Its either their way or no way with liberals. Do as we say/believe as we say/say what we want you to say or you are a hater/racist/bigot/nazi etc etc etc.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't think those things but believing them does not automatically make someone a racist. That is where your intolerance comes in.
Can you please provide an explanation other than racisim? (without using disproven conspiracy theories) Why would people think that Obama is a:

- Secret Muslim? (And then a sentence later bring up Reverend Wright)
- Only a product of affirmative action? (Isn't the assumption that he needed it when with all evidence to the contrary racist?)
- Born in Kenya?

Please give me the non-racist explanation of these viewpoints? And why, outside racisim, would people obsess over them so when they have nothing to do with policy?

And, I am bending over backwards to respect your views and treat them fairly. Thanks for calling me intolerant in return.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
No.

I said that racist and homophobic views don't deserve tolerance, because they are-- by definition-- intolerant. It's really not hard to understand.
Yet, you seem to be using your own guidelines to determine what is racist and homophobic. This would indicate that you have set yourself (in your mind) as a judge on these subjects. When others vary in their definition you just don't tolerate them.

Do you see the disconnect in your statements?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heathen View Post
liberals are the most hateful spiteful people on this earth
Really? Worse than Nazi's? Worse than child molestors?

That's pretty strong. You mad bro?

I'd prescribe a little less Fox news for this one.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
No. That is not what I am suggesting.

Conservatives are the ones arguing that their views aren't being afforded the level of tolerance they'd like.
And liberals are the ones refusing to even listen to views other than their own and calling those who hold those views names in an effort to disparage them.

Exactly how is that tolerant?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Yet, you seem to be using your own guidelines to determine what is racist and homophobic. This would indicate that you have set yourself (in your mind) as a judge on these subjects. When others vary in their definition you just don't tolerate them.

Do you see the disconnect in your statements?
No. Everyone has their own line. However, there comes a point when some are just being racist and trying to use "political thought" as a cover for their own racisim.

You make the same judgements I do, friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies