Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
And how convenient it is that only Liberals get to define what constitutes racism or homophobia.
You can define a word any way you wish. A word enters our lexicon by agreement and usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Andrew Cuomo has been a huge disappointment for NY. After coming into office, he took on the public sector unions ala Scott Walker, but quickly took a spanking from the unions and proved not to have any of Scott Walker's spine or character. So now he goes on MSNBC and makes stupid comments, bfd. He's a weak governor in a financially challenged state and doesn't have an ounce of the cojones his old man did (who helped create many of the problems his kid won't fix).

Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Can you please provide an explanation other than racisim? (without using disproven conspiracy theories) Why would people think that Obama is a:

- Secret Muslim?
This one is actually easy to understand.
  • Part of his name is historically Arabic. Many people assume a Mario has Italian heritage, Patrick has Irish heritage, Yuri has Russian heritage and the list goes on and on.
  • He spent a good chunk of his youth living in a predominately Muslim country.
  • His stepfather was Muslim.
Does it mean he is a Muslim? No. But, is it reasonable for someone to theorize he is? Yes

Quote:
(And then a sentence later bring up Reverend Wright)
Reverend Wright is his own special problem and I'm not even going to go there, because that would be a whole new thread. I do agree if someone brings this up right after claiming Obama is Muslim they are just trying to find things to diss about Obama.

Quote:
- Only a product of affirmative action? (Isn't the assumption that he needed it when with all evidence to the contrary racist?)
Sadly, my husband gets this all the time. He is actually more philosophical about it than I am. Sometimes when people make these claims they are indeed racist, but sometimes they are people who are genuinely baffled by why what they perceive as the unfairness of such programs. When people make statements like that I try to understand their angle before assuming they are racists. For some, because they don't think less of people of other races, or treat them differently, they assume everyone else operates the same way too and therefore such programs are unfair.

Quote:
- Born in Kenya?
IIRC, his grandmother started that ball rolling by some comment she made and people who didn't like him for one reason or another simply ran with the ball. You may not remember, but there were all kinds of issues with Gerald Ford, and claims that he shouldn't hold an office because he was adopted. There was all kinds of ruckus about JFK too.

Quote:
Please give me the non-racist explanation of these viewpoints? And why, outside racisim, would people obsess over them so when they have nothing to do with policy?
Because they don't like him or they don't like his policies so they are willing to believe anything negative about him. Many of these same people have zero issues or negative things to say about Herman Cain, Ben Carter, Tim Scott, Alan West, or Thomas Stovall. That they don't like him is clear, it's the why that isn't so easy to pinpoint.

Quote:
And, I am bending over backwards to respect your views and treat them fairly. Thanks for calling me intolerant in return.
I didn't call you intolerant, I pointed out such a viewpoint displayed intolerance. One is an indictment of your character, the other is my evaluation of an action or statement. There is a difference. It is like when I have a student bomb an exam - it is perfectly fine for me to tell that student they failed the test but it is absolutely wrong to tell them they are a failure. And maybe that is where part of the real problem lies, when people take isolated incidents or comments and make global assumptions about the character of the person based on them.

And bottom line, simply because someone has a different viewpoint does not mean they are wrong, let alone some evil person whose opinion should not be tolerated. Very, very few things when dealing with people or their opinions are black and white, they are amazingly infinite shades of grey. Nor does disliking a particular person of another race mean the person is a racist - sometimes they just don't like that person and wouldn't no matter what race they were.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Interesting when a Democrat gets diarrhea-mouth, how the liberal media go "crickets".

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Cuomo never said what was in the quotes......

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Interesting when a Democrat gets diarrhea-mouth, how the liberal media go "crickets".
Hmm, perhaps because he never said what as in quotes......

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Please don't be bringin' no stinkin' facts into this thread!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Bingo. The "source" quoted by the OP is the National Enquirer for conservative Catholics. Lots of salacious views and news guaranteed to get them in a hizzy. Little truth. Little actual journalism.

But hot reading for the "I Want To Control Your Womb" crowd.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
If this is what the governor said he's off base here. (Without a direct quote here-- It doesn't appear he said this at all and this whole thread is predicated on a lie.) There are certainly two valid viewpoints on abortion. I remain pro-choice, but, understand there is another side here.

When it comes to tolerance, however, there isn't another side to equality...

Racist views, don't deserve tolerance... Homophobic views don't deserve tolerance... I often see arch-conservatives complaining that their views aren't getting "tolerance" after they say something wildly racist or homophobic...
Just because you lack moral convictions that have endured in civilization for millennia, don't go pretending that you are righteous, and others are supposedly being "hateful'. You expect kudos for your special brand of hatefulness and moral decrepitude?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Just because you lack moral convictions that have endured in civilization for millennia, don't go pretending that you are righteous, and others are supposedly being "hateful'. You expect kudos for your special brand of hatefulness and moral decrepitude?
So now someone is lacking moral convictions if they show tolerance towards gays & do not share racist viewpoints? Holy crap, now I've heard everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies