Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,405,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No its not.

Alcohol is physically addictive. Like cigarettes.

Marijuana has no physical addiction traits. So if someone thinks they are, it's all in their head, and they are weak and would succumb to drug abuse regardless of their choice in substance.
Alcohol problems are by no means limited to only those who are addicted.

I repeat. We've proven we can't handle one legal drug that you have to go to the store and buy. Why in the world would we want to legalize another one that you can grow in your backyard and don't even need to leave home to abuse?

Given our history of not handlng the drug that is legal well, we need to not legalize anything else. It's bad enough we encourage people to check out with one drug. We don't need any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM

12,885 posts, read 13,554,771 times
IMO I think pot should be regulated no different than Raw Milk. The Fed already has a policy on it based on its position and each state has regulations as to its ;production, consuption , and sale. Problem solved.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,405,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Use does not always equal abuse. But, I suppose we should just ban alcohol, given the problems it can cause. Oh wait... we already tried prohibition once, and it wasn't exactly a smashing success. History has shown that all prohibition does is create a black market, and gives power to the cartels, and people like Al Capone.

BTW if you're still hung up on the fact that little kids can go through someone's garden and pick those pot plants growing there, then perhaps the parents need to do a little better job in teaching kids to stay off of other people's property!
Children are not miniature adults. If they were, we wouldn't need a juvenile court system. Children will, however, mimic adults and try adult things. It is up to adults to protect children here.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,928,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

I repeat. We've proven we can't handle one legal drug that you have to go to the store and buy. Why in the world would we want to legalize another one that you can grow in your backyard and don't even need to leave home to abuse?

Given our history of not handlng the drug that is legal well, we need to not legalize anything else. It's bad enough we encourage people to check out with one drug. We don't need any more.

Maybe because it isn't up to the government to be someone's nanny! Besides, the real problem today is the growing epidemic of opiate abuse, and addiction, and NOT cannabis.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Children are not miniature adults. If they were, we wouldn't need a juvenile court system. Children will, however, mimic adults and try adult things. It is up to adults to protect children here.

Yes it is up to adults to protect children. It's also up to the adults to be PARENTS and teach their kids about not trespassing, or not touching something that doesn't belong to you, otherwise there WILL be consequences! You are in charge of your OWN kids! Not me, and certainly not the government!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,071,636 times
Quote:
Alcohol abuse is all the proof we need that legalizing another drug would be stupid. We have proven we can't handle the one we have and alcohol can't be grown in your back yard for easy cheap access. Yes, we'll be so much more responsible with a drug that we can grow in our back yards that is free....
Alcohol and Pot are NOT the same.

Maybe we'll have a happier more peaceful society. Oh, and safer roadways.

In looking at state-level data from sources such as the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, Anderson and Rees discovered that states that had legalized medical marijuana saw an average of a 9 percent decrease in traffic deaths.

"We were pretty surprised that they went down," Rees told the Denver Post.

In an attempt to explain the results, Rees said that the passage of medical-marijuana laws likely resulted in young people consuming less alcohol in favor of using marijuana.

"The result that comes through again and again and again is [that] young adults ... drink less when marijuana is legalized and traffic fatalities go down," Rees told the Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1176856.html

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,071,636 times
Quote:

You can't die from pot and where its been legalized traffic fatalities are down.

So what's this big public risk from pot your talking about? And if your against pot, I hope you've bought your Cigarette and Alcohol Prohibition t-shirts already.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Alcohol and Pot are NOT the same.

Maybe we'll have a happier more peaceful society.

Perhaps. Like I've said. I've worked in the nightclub industry, and I've seen first hand some of what happens when people drink too damn much, and how obnoxious they can be. I would still like to try my little experiment of getting two control groups together. One group we put in a room and give them all of the booze they can handle, and give them a controversial topic to discuss. The other, group we put in a room and give them all of the bud that they can handle, and also give them a controversial topic to discuss. Which group do you think will get out of hand, and come to blows first?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,355,245 times
It's funny how the people who are supposedly so in favor of "freedom and liberty" are so vehemently against legalizing the use of a harmless plant.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,720,711 times
Evidently Obama supporters have no trouble getting marijuana .

They had to be high on something to vote for Obama the second time .

(The first time is forgiven because everybody can make a mistake )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies