Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the big epidemic of ritalin use and the other drugs like it has to do with kids not learning any discipline. I'd rather give my kid a couple of swats when it is the right time than drug the kid later.
Oh please. Epidemics of ritalin has to do with any kind of knowledge of holistic approach, tons of vaccinations that are imposed on children these days and horrible diet. Let's not blame "lack of spanking" on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Here!! Me! I have a son who often makes my blood boil. In fact since infancy he was the most spirited kid I know. Yet, spanking is something that I would not use for discipline, because it's stupid.
You have a spirited child too? Welcome to the club. When she was born, she cried louder in the delivery room. She cried more irreverently in my hospital room. She was more demanding then the other newborns, even at 2 days old. She was colicky for the first six months, and didn't want to be in anything but a sling until well after she could walk on her own.

When she is on point, everyone comments how mature and well behaved she is, beyond her years. But when she is in one of her moods, forget about it. She's a big pain in the neck. Mostly to her parents. Other people never see that side of her.

The worst thing though is how she treats strangers. She doesn't like them, and she doesn't like people trying to force themselves on her. Too many people try to infringe on her right to be left alone, and she isn't polite with them at all. It only comes to play when the adult continues to try to interact with her. She never initiates any impoliteness. She has to learn the art of ignoring those she doesn't want to interact with. Too bad adults haven't learned to back off when their attention is not wanted.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Oh please. Epidemics of ritalin has to do with any kind of knowledge of holistic approach, tons of vaccinations that are imposed on children these days and horrible diet. Let's not blame "lack of spanking" on this.

My sister in law was a psychiatrist and a school teacher, she said very few children were really and truly hyperactive....that most kids, and it was proven had just plain behavior problems. It is also a proven fact that medications are drugs...all containing chemicals...which we all know, have diverse affects on people...there is no reason, why all the kids today should be on the drugs they are on, and when they get older, this generation of kids are going to have all kinds of problems....they are giving steriods to little ones for ear infections, soar throats, etc. Not good, and could very well have something to do with behavioral problems....these are chemicals that we are introducing into these little bodies....sheesh....

Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I really have NO IDEA what does psychologists and counselors have to do with anything.
There is other type of parenting. It's called being a "backbone" parent. Someone who knows how to be a parent without using physical violence, someone who has enough strength and patience to be an authority without scaring a child.
Well here's where I disagree with you. I think if the parent fears the child hitting them at 15, then there are serious family issues that need family therapy to work out. Something else is definitely going on if the parent has to have that fear. The kid has issues, and probably did not have the parenting they needed.

*** And good parenting has to be adjusted to both the kid and parents personality. It isn't a formula for sure. A good parental approach on the wrong kid can have disastrous results. (I'm talking in terms of incompatible personalities. You have to work with the personalities in the room, not try to mold anyone, including yourself into a personality that doesn't suit the individual.)

Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My sister in law was a psychiatrist and a school teacher, she said very few children were really and truly hyperactive....that most kids, and it was proven had just plain behavior problems. It is also a proven fact that medications are drugs...all containing chemicals...which we all know, have diverse affects on people...there is no reason, why all the kids today should be on the drugs they are on, and when they get older, this generation of kids are going to have all kinds of problems....they are giving steriods to little ones for ear infections, soar throats, etc. Not good, and could very well have something to do with behavioral problems....these are chemicals that we are introducing into these little bodies....sheesh....
Well we finally agree on something. I don't believe in medicating children. But I think if there is certain kinds of misbehavior, at an age inappropriate level, then there are issues on the table (and possibly under the table) that aren't being addressed. That would include behavior modification by the parents and kids.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Well adjusted? Do they call people "Honey" because they don't agree with them? It's condescending and passive aggressive. Not exactly an example of behavior to teach one's kids.

My child doesn't do stuff like that. I talk to her about the golden rule long before things get to such a level of danger. I guess she is better behaved because I treat her with respect and don't call her "honey" when I disagree with her.

By the way, you never did answer the question.

What lesson does spanking teach them, other than that momma's gonna spank them if you do something that momma doesn't like. It seems rather arbitrary.
Well you fish you way I'll fish mine!
My folks spanked ume and I turned out pretty good, great job etcetc. We're all sailing along hunky dory,No problems to speak of, My kids say yes sir/no mame just like I do. The one time my son told me he'd call the cops if he got a spanking I informed him he should have them send the ambulance along too. He stepped back said sorry sir and that was that.......I submit your kids are no better then mine nore are you any better then I am inspite what any of the liberal elitest intelgencia have to say about it.......

Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Of course! At least we agree on something! Children are misdiagnosed a lot nowdays with all kinds of behaviour conditions. However, I think this subject is irrelevant to this thread.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Well here's where I disagree with you. I think if the parent fears the child hitting them at 15, then there are serious family issues that need family therapy to work out. Something else is definitely going on if the parent has to have that fear. The kid has issues, and probably did not have the parenting they needed.

*** And good parenting has to be adjusted to both the kid and parents personality. It isn't a formula for sure. A good parental approach on the wrong kid can have disastrous results. (I'm talking in terms of incompatible personalities. You have to work with the personalities in the room, not try to mold anyone, including yourself into a personality that doesn't suit the individual.)
I have no idea what we are talking about here! I don't know if we are talking about specific 15 year old or hypothetical. Sorry, I just joined the thread couple of days ago and missed all the drama.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Does anyone here honestly believe in spanking a child under the age of 2?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Of course! At least we agree on something! Children are misdiagnosed a lot nowdays with all kinds of behaviour conditions. However, I think this subject is irrelevant to this thread.

You, bought this up???? Epidemics of Ritalin???? Remember? I basically commented what I knew about the subject and also compared all the drugs we're giving kids, suggesting there may be a chance they are causing behavioral problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies