Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes it is...I had a couple living down the street, they had to raise their 3 grandchildren, as the parents were killed in an accident. Well, two of them turned ok but were problems, but one of them...omg...what a problem...drugs, dating all kinds of boys...had 4 or 5 unwanted children, in and out of not only drug rehab but prision, and yanno what she told her grand mother...if you spank me, I'm calling the police...and she actually went upstairs and held her arm against a light bulb and burnt it on purpose and then blamed them...it was horrible, awful, and just plain sad...

they never spanked them....and now wished they had...and so do the girls...they said, they didn't think their grandparents loved them, cuz they never got spanked.

A spanking is a spanking
Beating a child is a different story....

My son told me, he was so glad I was not only strict, but spanked him as well....

what in the world is wrong with people today?????? I swear, we are regressing when it comes to mentality and common sense? And are kids...all I gotta say is, they are the next leaders of the U.S. OMG

Oh, and by the way, this has now become political and should be in the political forum...I think? Yes???

I think then, our government should then, raise our kids.... Yes?
I agree- the govt needs to stay out of this- why are they talking about this when they cant even help 30 million Americans without health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM

162 posts, read 503,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes it is...I had a couple living down the street, they had to raise their 3 grandchildren, as the parents were killed in an accident. Well, two of them turned ok but were problems, but one of them...omg...what a problem...drugs, dating all kinds of boys...had 4 or 5 unwanted children, in and out of not only drug rehab but prision, and yanno what she told her grand mother...if you spank me, I'm calling the police...and she actually went upstairs and held her arm against a light bulb and burnt it on purpose and then blamed them...it was horrible, awful, and just plain sad...

they never spanked them....and now wished they had...and so do the girls...they said, they didn't think their grandparents loved them, cuz they never got spanked.

A spanking is a spanking
Beating a child is a different story....

My son told me, he was so glad I was not only strict, but spanked him as well....

what in the world is wrong with people today?????? I swear, we are regressing when it comes to mentality and common sense? And are kids...all I gotta say is, they are the next leaders of the U.S. OMG

Oh, and by the way, this has now become political and should be in the political forum...I think? Yes???

I think then, our government should then, raise our kids.... Yes?

My aunt had three girls, she spanked all three mind you. One turned out OK, but still lives at home. One got pregnant in college, and the other is missing. She was a good parent, had rules, and she gave out spankings and look where it got her..........Point is, if you choose NOT to spank your kids they are not going to instantly turn out to be rotten, unruly brats, in her case, it did no good whatsoever.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
A very, very, dangerous slippery slope when the govt makes laws about spanking kids, whats next? Bobbys parents are strict and spank him, but best freind Jimmys parents are idiots and let Jimmy do what ever he wants, because they want Jimmy to like them and think their neat! Guess what kind of crap Jimmy and his parents start filling Bobbys head with, next thing you know the police are busting down Bobbys door and hauling off his mom and dad in hand cuffs because Bobbys tired of getting spankings!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I agree, is no place for Big Brother, they have done enough damage to kids with the educational system. And most parents totally know the difference between a few swats and beatings. Thankfully there are laws in place to prosecute the ones who have no business being parents. I got a few spats here and there, didn't hurt, except my feelings. I also remember The Look--it was so much more effective....

Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
The idea isn't to control your kids. If you feel your kids need to be controlled, please give them up for adoption because you know nothing about love. Control isn't the reason you punish your kids. No one, in any slice of human history, liked to be controlled. That we feel the need to control must be a cultural thing, not a childhood thing. Do aborigines hit their kids? Do eskimos? Did Native Americans? I don't think hitting was used in any of these cultures. Why must we in ours?

While most here seem to feel that it should not be illegal, most also comment that it should not ever cross the line into abuse. Um, how do you tell when it's abuse? If you were hit with a belt every Saturday and thought it did you well, then you might feel the same way in raising your kids. In my opinion, that is destructive abuse. How do we expect individual uneducated parents ('cause that's what we are when none of us are taught a thing about raising children) to discern between mere correction and abuse?

Again, it takes me back to the issue of control. No matter how you spin it, if you're making up rules for your kids in order to control them, you are doing them no favor whatsoever. You don't teach them self-control, you teach them that others can order them around on a whim. Unless you also completely let them know WHY the rules exist and offer a give-and-take with them, you are abusing them just to control them perhaps because that's all you think needs to be done.

When I think of the sick psychological damage done to me and countless others by parents who repeated only what they themselves experienced as children, it makes my blood boil. I cannot sanction spanking and its myriad equivalents just to 'control' children who might 'get out of hand'. I don't see LOVE written anywhere on this process. And if these methods did anybody any good, I certainly am not seeing any great improvement in our society. Same old, same old, abusive cycles and ignorant parents.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I don't believe there is any harm in giving a swat to get a small child's attention. What if they attempt to go into the street, you tell them "no", but they aren't going to be "controlled" and do as they please. They are a grease spot on the road due to lack of parenting and irresponsibility. When I was 4, my dad told me explicitly NOT to go into the street, but I did anyway. And got some good swats for it. Never did it again! Thank god, we lived in a small town on a dirt road at the time, with no traffic. Am sure he was glad too, that the five of us were still alive when my mother got home, as he was doing the babysitting that day.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
discipline them now. if you dont have obediance at 5, it wont happen at 20. they will simply go to prison and many do.
we are not preparing them for the cruel fierce world where they will have to survive.
lots of entertainment and food options just doesnt cut it, does it?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
I think the question should be whether or not it is legal to spank your own children, this is a no brainer. The question is, should it be allowed to spank other peoples kids.

However, to prove I'm not a complete ogre, I will give you all a very very short video clip of a child having the worst tantrum, and let you be the judge.

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/video/ZazooCondoms,Nino.mpg

Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The idea isn't to control your kids. If you feel your kids need to be controlled, please give them up for adoption because you know nothing about love. Control isn't the reason you punish your kids. No one, in any slice of human history, liked to be controlled. That we feel the need to control must be a cultural thing, not a childhood thing. Do aborigines hit their kids? Do eskimos? Did Native Americans? I don't think hitting was used in any of these cultures. Why must we in ours?

While most here seem to feel that it should not be illegal, most also comment that it should not ever cross the line into abuse. Um, how do you tell when it's abuse? If you were hit with a belt every Saturday and thought it did you well, then you might feel the same way in raising your kids. In my opinion, that is destructive abuse. How do we expect individual uneducated parents ('cause that's what we are when none of us are taught a thing about raising children) to discern between mere correction and abuse?

Again, it takes me back to the issue of control. No matter how you spin it, if you're making up rules for your kids in order to control them, you are doing them no favor whatsoever. You don't teach them self-control, you teach them that others can order them around on a whim. Unless you also completely let them know WHY the rules exist and offer a give-and-take with them, you are abusing them just to control them perhaps because that's all you think needs to be done.

When I think of the sick psychological damage done to me and countless others by parents who repeated only what they themselves experienced as children, it makes my blood boil. I cannot sanction spanking and its myriad equivalents just to 'control' children who might 'get out of hand'. I don't see LOVE written anywhere on this process. And if these methods did anybody any good, I certainly am not seeing any great improvement in our society. Same old, same old, abusive cycles and ignorant parents.
This is your opinion, doesn't say, your right and I'm wrong...and yes, controlling your children...my 90 year old mom was in the dentists office and the kids in there were running into her while she was sitting in her own chair and the mother said diddily....and yes, I love my child,and so did my parents LOVE us...and we were not spanked every Sat. And, not to mention, while you have your opinion, when you say things like abusive cycles, you are insulting my parents for spanking me, and if they spanked me, then I deserved it as they were kind, compassionate, good parents, who controlled us.

My mom tells the story of how my brother and his buddy, when little were waking around the yard and he was showing his friend all the flowers, which my mom raised, and not once did they pick them...but in the stead, marveled at the beauty and just looked at them....today, I have to chase kids off the property, cuz they pound on the side of the house, throw candy wrappers all around...walk through the property, which is fenced, cuz their parents do...play their music so loud you have to go out side and yell at them....if we would have done any of these things above, we would have gotten a spanking. But we didn't.

So please spare me your judgement...b/c when you judge me, you judge my parents...and my son, and he would tell you, I NEVER beat him, but spanked him 3 - 4 times in his life...that's it...and that was out of learn, out of concern, so he would learn there are consequences for his bad behavior.

That's what I did, and what my parents did, and we did not grow up to be abusers...even my babysitter spanked me once in my whole time with her.

Abuse is when the spanking turns into hitting across the face, ears, repeatidly, and when there ARE bruises....and when it's done hard...I never spanked out of anger, and neither did my parents...it was always controlled, and yes, there are times when you have to control you actions, including your children...if you don't they'd run all over the place with no sense of respect, what is right and what is wrong.

And how do you know Native Americans, or any other culture doesn't spank their kids.....? That, to me, is a rather loaded comment...of which I surely do not believe...and frankly, I don't care what any other culture does...what I care about is that my kids, and I grew up well behaved and considerate of the property and space of others....

My son is a police officer today, and you should hear his stories of kids...they now call the police on their parents...and the parents, b/c of people as yourself, have no recourse....and the kids are impolite, doing drugs...lack respect...and he wastes so much time answering these calls all night, that time is wasted on these calls rather then addressing real problems...

I believe you need to seek out counseling if spanking a child hurts your feelings to that degree....and you consider it abuse...I really do....

quite frankly, I'm very very interested in why, people as yourself, do not get involved with child preditors issue, and have these people put away for good, or are you even aware of the child preditors and sexual abuse across this country....how do you feel about that...and where were people as yourself when I was being sexually abused?????? Where is your concern for that issue...I mean, if you REALLY want to do something constructive, why not get involved in that issue, to put these preditors away for good, instead of allowing them to be free to attack another child. Do you even know, how many are all over the U.S.????? Do you know how many children are sexually abuses ever 10 minutes...are you aware of the fact that it is real and happening, or do you turn you mind off to the reality of it, and become grossed out about some loving parent spanking their child, once in a while?

And I'll tell you this, if I was the parent of a kid who picked up any gun, or stole from a neighbor, or I found drugs in there room, or if they back mouthed a neighbor or teacher, or hit another kid...I would most certainly spank....

and yes, there are parents that go overboard.....but we do have many laws on the books for that...and I'm going to say this one more time....

When ever I was tempted, to do something wrong...I always thought about it first, b/c I feared getting the worst, a spaking, it was explained to me, that I not only hurt my parents, but I had to learn that there are some things that if I proceed with, I will get a spanking...I AM GLAD MY PARENTS LOVED ME THAT MUCH...BECAUSE IT HURT THEM TO DO IT, AND IT HURT ME TO DO IT...AND IT WASN'T SOMETHING THAT WAS DONE ALL THE TIME AND I AM NOT DAMAGED BY IT...and I would thank them again and again, and have, as my son has thanked me

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-29-2007 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 AM

17 posts, read 39,942 times
Default Legal????

This is not a government issue, why should they have a right to tell you how to raise your children? I have to say that my parents NEVER spanked me and to this day I wish that they would have......maybe with a little more discipline I would not have chosen tha paths that I have. Children need discipline as well as a good education. Boundaries, action-consecuence conscious children will make for more decent people in the future. Has any one seen that show nanny 911?? its outrageous. Just going to the supermarket and seeing how kids behave is revolting, screaming, crying, kicking their parents; just imagine if this goes on while spanking is legal what it will be like if they make it illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies