Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Should the government get involved in this to...this is insane and has now become a political issue???????

This amazes me...we were spanked as children and we're fine, we were not beat, but we knew there was a consequence for our actions...

I heard a man on the news comment, that spanking was an uneducated way to discipline...amazing...

I think not spanking is not only an uneducated way of discipline, but a parent who is avoiding discipline.

I am 59 years old and see way to many children today who do not fear a consequence for their actions...a couple down the street, raise they're 3 grand children...the parents were killed...two turned out fine...one, is in and out of prision, has already had 4 unwanted children...and has been in drug rehab uncountable times.

While pregnant with my son, I read a book which said, if you don't have control of your child by the time they are five, you never will. I spanked my son, 3 times in his life and I was spanked...and I'm glad my parents were strict and spanked me. Otherwise, I would have been a hand full.

Chrildren today, have no sense of discipline in public, they run around, yell and scream and have not an ounce of respect for the personal property and space of others b/c parents do not know how to parent.

You've got more kids on drugs and taking guns to school, b/c parents do not know how to parent. I was raised in a small town, all our families hunted...I would have never thought to even pick up a gun????? Let alone if I would have, I wouldn't have sat for a week...and I'm exhagerating, but, for God's sake what is wrong with people?????The irony in all of this is...fine, there are really disturbed people out there who want to make it against the law to spank children....yet...they refuse to do anything about all the sexual preditors that are out there? Makes no sense, and I find this the perfect example of our mentality today...we are not getting any smarter, matter of fact, we have regressed when it comes to common sense of parenting. Thanks

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-28-2007 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 04:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
I definitely think that spanking Kos Kids should be legal. In fact, I think they should be spanked for a couple of weeks straight to make up their parents' laxity.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM

640 posts, read 461,212 times
I was spanked as a kid (spanked, not beat ~ there's a big difference). In my home "spare the rod, spoil the child" was the policy :-) We knew the rules and we followed them ~ not like today; kids make the rules. It's a shame....

Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
This is/was a big topic in the parenting forum. I agree with the OP Although I don't think it should be a question of legal or illegal, parents should be allowed to discipline their children the way they see fit, with the exception of drawing the line at child abuse. Big Difference.

A lot of posters over in the parenting forum seem to want to intertwine spankings and child abuse, which is absurd For me all I have to do is give my child "THE LOOK" and she knows I mean business.

Oh wow, look post has been moved to Parenting Forum just that quickly.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
I was spanked as a kid (spanked, not beat ~ there's a big difference). In my home "spare the rod, spoil the child" was the policy :-) We knew the rules and we followed them ~ not like today; kids make the rules. It's a shame....
Yes it is...I had a couple living down the street, they had to raise their 3 grandchildren, as the parents were killed in an accident. Well, two of them turned ok but were problems, but one of them...omg...what a problem...drugs, dating all kinds of boys...had 4 or 5 unwanted children, in and out of not only drug rehab but prision, and yanno what she told her grand mother...if you spank me, I'm calling the police...and she actually went upstairs and held her arm against a light bulb and burnt it on purpose and then blamed them...it was horrible, awful, and just plain sad...

they never spanked them....and now wished they had...and so do the girls...they said, they didn't think their grandparents loved them, cuz they never got spanked.

A spanking is a spanking
Beating a child is a different story....

My son told me, he was so glad I was not only strict, but spanked him as well....

what in the world is wrong with people today?????? I swear, we are regressing when it comes to mentality and common sense? And are kids...all I gotta say is, they are the next leaders of the U.S. OMG

Oh, and by the way, this has now become political and should be in the political forum...I think? Yes???

I think then, our government should then, raise our kids.... Yes?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
A lot of posters over in the parenting forum seem to want to intertwine spankings and child abuse, which is absurd For me all I have to do is give my child "THE LOOK" and she knows I mean business.
WHAT?????

Yes indeed, absurd!!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 04:36 PM

162 posts, read 503,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumble View Post
This amazes me...we were spanked as children and we're fine, we were not beat, but we knew there was a consequence for our actions...

I heard a man on the news comment, that spanking was an uneducated way to discipline...amazing...

I think not spanking is not only an uneducated way of discipline, but a parent who is avoiding discipline.

I am 59 years old and see way to many children today who do not fear a consequence for their actions...a couple down the street, raise they're 3 grand children...the parents were killed...two turned out fine...one, is in and out of prision, has already had 4 unwanted children...and has been in drug rehab uncountable times.

While pregnant with my son, I read a book which said, if you don't have control of your child by the time they are five, you never will. I spanked my son, 3 times in his life and I was spanked...and I'm glad my parents were strict and spanked me. Otherwise, I would have been a hand full.

Chrildren today, have no sense of discipline in public, they run around, yell and scream and have not an ounce of respect for the personal property and space of others b/c parents do not know how to parent.

You've got more kids on drugs and taking guns to school, b/c parents do not know how to parent. I was raised in a small town, all our families hunted...I would have never thought to even pick up a gun????? Let alone if I would have, I wouldn't have sat for a week...and I'm exhagerating, but, for God's sake what is wrong with people?????The irony in all of this is...fine, there are really disturbed people out there who want to make it against the law to spank children....yet...they refuse to do anything about all the sexual preditors that are out there? Makes no sense, and I find this the perfect example of our mentality today...we are not getting any smarter, matter of fact, we have regressed when it comes to common sense of parenting. Thanks

This is in a few other threads as well.

I have to say, I do not hit, spank, swat, slap, whatever-my kids. I do not have to because I have TAUGHT them to be respectful, kind, compassionate, and honest (most of the time). I don't think it is right, in fact I think it is hypocritical to hit a child to teach them how to behave. What kind of example does that set? I don't like what you are doing so I think I will just slap you. It never lasts long and the fear it causes fades away and what have they learned? More often than not the spanking does not prevent them from repeating the behavior - if it did then no one would HAVE to spank their kids more than once. Spanking a kid is just an easy way out for the parent and when done in anger, it is just a release.

I have put a lot of time and effort into my kids and have never had to raise a hand to any of them. It is just NOT necessary. Parents just need to parent children from the start.

The worst.......someone hitting their kids in public....no class at all and it only makes things escalate.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post

I have to say, I do not hit, spank, swat, slap, whatever-my kids. I do not have to because I have TAUGHT them to be respectful, kind, compassionate, and honest (most of the time). I don't think it is right, in fact I think it is hypocritical to hit a child to teach them how to behave. What kind of example does that set? I don't like what you are doing so I think I will just slap you. It never lasts long and the fear it causes fades away and what have they learned? More often than not the spanking does not prevent them from repeating the behavior - if it did then no one would HAVE to spank their kids more than once. Spanking a kid is just an easy way out for the parent and when done in anger, it is just a release.

I have put a lot of time and effort into my kids and have never had to raise a hand to any of them. It is just NOT necessary. Parents just need to parent children from the start.

The worst.......someone hitting their kids in public....no class at all and it only makes things escalate.
tell you what...we were going thru the grocery store, and my son, always acted out in the cart...he was a toddler....I told him, if he didn't stop, he was going to get a spanking...he didn't stop, and I said, what did I tell you...gianing his eye contact so he knew I meant business, and we kept going and he did it again...so the third time, I took him out of the cart, and spanked him on the butt once...and sat him back in the cart...yes, he cried, but I simply ignored him and he got over it. I had a parent come up to me and say, way to go....

sorry, but spanking kids in public is not beating a child....not in the least, and I have no problem with it...now, slapping a child across the face, is totally uncalled for and tells the child, they are no good.

But spanking, there is nothing wrong with it....

Yanno, my biggest question is this....how did this get so far? I mean government passing a law to make it illegal?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM

162 posts, read 503,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
tell you what...we were going thru the grocery store, and my son, always acted out in the cart...he was a toddler....I told him, if he didn't stop, he was going to get a spanking...he didn't stop, and I said, what did I tell you...gianing his eye contact so he knew I meant business, and we kept going and he did it again...so the third time, I took him out of the cart, and spanked him on the butt once...and sat him back in the cart...yes, he cried, but I simply ignored him and he got over it. I had a parent come up to me and say, way to go....

sorry, but spanking kids in public is not beating a child....not in the least, and I have no problem with it...now, slapping a child across the face, is totally uncalled for and tells the child, they are no good.

But spanking, there is nothing wrong with it....

Yanno, my biggest question is this....how did this get so far? I mean government passing a law to make it illegal?

I doubt you have to worry about not being able to spank. It would prabablly never pass anyway. Although I do not think it is neccessary, I am not sure the government should make the call.

How do you determine where you can hit a child to make it OK? Just curious? What do you tell kids when they hit each other? I can hit you if you are not pleasing me, but you cannot hit others if they are not doing as you would like? Hmmmmmm....

I will never agree that hitting a child is a good way to teach them life lessons. It may work for you and that is fine. I have never had to hit my kids to get them to listen and behave, especially in public. I taught them from a very early age to have enough respect for me and yourself not to act out in public. They even comment to me about other kids acting ugly in stores.

I am not saying I do not have to repeat myself, or give a stern look to them. I am just glad they are more concerned with dissapointing thier parents by missbehaving than getting a spanking and they are motivated to behave because they respect me, not because they are afraid of getting a slap, swat, spanking, whatever.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post

Congrats on your parenting tecniques. Stop and consider this, though.....
What if the law said "Parents must spank their children or be charged with neglect." How would you feel about that law ? The real thing going on here
is not about spanking or not. It's about "BIG BROTHER" slinking into citizens
private lives under the guise of protecting children. Doctors now practice
interrogating kids about the activities of their parents. "How much they drink,
do they have guns etc. Lookout COMMRADES, they are watching you........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies