Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh no big deal if one is not offended by their actual heritage which I am one of those being 1/2 German and 1/2 Cherokee.
My husband calls me Squaw or Half Breed and means nothing by it and friends will do the same. It is trivial at best and nothing to get upset over in my Half Breed Opinion.
See post #4. I'm presuming you and your husband are already on friendly terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
By choosing to take offense at the term, you're unconsciously agreeing with the underlying premise of it. That's the mistake that undergirds all forms of political correctness.
If someone commits an act with the intention of being offensive, it should be noted that person intended offense. Pretending otherwise is not wise.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Makes me think of the old Cher song...
Thought the same thing, I don't think anyone thought much of it did they?

Some people seem fine with the saying, "redheaded step-child"

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I cannot speak for the person who stated that black / Asian is a beautiful combination, but I can say that the vast majority of females that I have met / seen who were of black and Asian parentage were absolutely beautiful, gorgeous women. Please explain how this is a form of racism?
yep... I'm not mad at that combo.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, it's derogatory. It was derogatory when Cher sang about it in the 1970's and it was derogatory in the 1960's when Capt. Kirk called Mr. Spock a half-breed ("What Are Little Girls Made Of?" Season 1, Episode 7).
You think Cher did the song to bring attention to "half-breeds" or the $$$ it brought in?
I can't say I've seen her in any charity for Indian children.
Always to see celebrities put their money were their mouth is talking.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I can't say I've seen her in any charity for Indian children.
Because of course the official standard for whether or not anything has actually happened is if 3~Shepherds has seen it.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
if you have to ask then you can just assume the answer is yes in 2014. You can guarantee someone out there will jump at the chance to take offense.
I take offense that people take offense.

Life is life.

Don't like something you hear, leave, change the channel or ignore it.

Life goes on.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
People generally don't like their ancestry described as one would describe a dog's.
That was my first thought. We don't call people purebred for that same reason.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
In the old books the term half breed was always used
really? "half breed" was always used in old books? that's one hell of a claim to start your thread with.

Quote:
I read a lot of books that were written in the old west in the mid 1800s and they used the term a lot in those days. But what about today.
no, writers don't use "halfbreed" much these days.

that word implies that the alternative is "racial purity" -- which is a dubious biological classification in my view. the concept of "breeds" works "well enough" when we're talking about horses or dogs, but even then it is trying to make order out of something inherently chaotic, like genetics.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I take offense that people take offense.

Life is life.

Don't like something you hear, leave, change the channel or ignore it.

Life goes on.
To an extent, this is true - but the OP wasn't complaining or asking for legislation... opinions were being solicited on whether this term is considered derogatory or not. I think you're suggesting that those here who don't appreciate it should just look the other way. I do. If someone calls me a half-breed I don't act in an adversarial manner at all - I just ignore them.

So I'm not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that these things should never be discussed? lol. How do we perpetuate the evolution of civilization if we always look the other way? How did women get the vote? When and why did we stop using the "N" word for black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies