Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Imagine a world where 10 adults are hunkered down in a studio apartment because they can't afford better. They still gotta pay rent. If it were legally possible to pay them $1.50 per hour for low-skilled labor, any employer in their right mind would do so. And without any better options, those 10 adults would take the jobs that pay $1.50 per hour, pool their resources, pay the rent and hopefully have a little bit left for food, clothing and other things.

That is the kind of world that did exist (and still does in many parts of the world) before governments started creating laws that protect workers from exploitation by employers. Laws like minimum wage.

Just because you're being paid what was agreed upon does not mean that you are being paid what you are actually worth. It just means that you didn't have any better options in the economic environment you live in, allowing the company you work for to pay a ridiculously low wage.
Apparently right wingers don't think that is exploitation. I wonder what those same right wingers would think if they found themselves in this situation.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who cares, let them quit and replace them with someone desperate enough to take the lower wage. See how that works?
That "problem" can exist with excess labor supply for every position such as your "independent contractor" position. In Calgary, Canada where there's a labor shortage, burger flippers are paid $20/hour and there's no taker.

How is that a problem?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Imagine a world where 10 adults are hunkered down in a studio apartment because they can't afford better. They still gotta pay rent. If it were legally possible to pay them $1.50 per hour for low-skilled labor, any employer in their right mind would do so. And without any better options, those 10 adults would take the jobs that pay $1.50 per hour, pool their resources, pay the rent and hopefully have a little bit left for food, clothing and other things.

That is the kind of world that did exist (and still does in many parts of the world) before governments started creating laws that protect workers from exploitation by employers. Laws like minimum wage.

Just because you're being paid what was agreed upon does not mean that you are being paid what you are actually worth. It just means that you didn't have any better options in the economic environment you live in, allowing the company you work for to pay a ridiculously low wage.
Except for the fact that if people are only making $1.50 an hour, then the amount they can afford in rent goes down, which lowers the cap rate of investments, which lowers the cost of buying properties, which makes it cheaper to rent.

Furthermore, that can ONLY happen in an environment without jobs, which urban is suggesting we ship offshore.

HE'S the one causing the problems he's whining about..

Old 01-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Apparently right wingers don't think that is exploitation. I wonder what those same right wingers would think if they found themselves in this situation.
I would think that I can make more money competing against my employer, and do it..

Wait, I already did that.. and do..

Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
You forgot that I came from that situation. I was dirty poor, on a $20/week meal "diet." My net income was about $540/month. Any one of you knows how to live on that "salary?"

Old 01-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You forgot that I came from that situation. I was dirty poor, on a $20/week meal "diet." My net income was about $540/month. Any one of you knows how to live on that "salary?"
Isnt that the truth. I was homeless 15 years ago. These people act like right wingers havent struggled.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, I am aware, and it seems like you wish the US to become like where you came from. So why did you run away from your home country?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I didn't realize you were pushing 100. Congrats on figuring out how to use the internet.
You just proved my point quite nicely. Excellent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies