Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 12:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,902,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of long-term minimum wager's have some sort of "bad life choice" or "insufficient level of personal responsibility about them" lurking in their closet. If we were given the opportunity to analyze their personal lives, I'd bet there's something in there that caused them to be stuck at a station in life that does not allow them to get ahead. Whether it be a criminal record....an illegitimate child (or children)....no high school degree....or something similar that holds them back.

So, if that happens to be the case, why should I or anyone else have sympathy for them? They made bad choices....why should anyone else care how deep of a hole they've dug for themselves??
Amen! Subsidizing foolish choices is always a mistake, for both those bearing the burden, and those being subsidized.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,472,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amen! Subsidizing foolish choices is always a mistake, for both those bearing the burden, and those being subsidized.
Unfortunately they have already figured out ballot speaks louder than truth.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Unfortunately they have already figured out ballot speaks louder than truth.
True, and that will let them survive..barely..but if they ever wish to progress beyond subsistence, they need to do a lot of soul-searching, be truthful about just what held them back.they can find that person..in the mirror every morning. If they do not wish to do anything that substantive, I couldn't care less if their future is never any better than their present.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I got news for ya. Those at the top are already laughing. And you want to bow to their bidding. The top has already taken our jobs and lowered the median income of our country and you want to keep feeding that monster.
You do know the top are laughing not at you but at the stupid liberalism.

You the liberals are shooting yourselves in the foot and every other person in the country.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
True, and that will let them survive..barely..but if they ever wish to progress beyond subsistence, they need to do a lot of soul-searching, be truthful about just what held them back.they can find that person..in the mirror every morning. If they do not wish to do anything that substantive, I couldn't care less if their future is never any better than their present.
You can't legislate math. You can pass a law saying 1+1=1 but it won't work. You can't continue to spend the money that you don't have hoping for some magic reason all your problems are fixed. You can't pass laws to force every business out yet crying for more jobs.

Argentina and Greece would be two prime example how it would be for us if we continue our path. They are in this downward spiral and will not come out easily. We have been in this spiral too as the Democrat party became the largest party in the country.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can't legislate math. You can pass a law saying 1+1=1 but it won't work. You can't continue to spend the money that you don't have hoping for some magic reason all your problems are fixed. You can't pass laws to force every business out yet crying for more jobs.

Argentina and Greece would be two prime example how it would be for us if we continue our path. They are in this downward spiral and will not come out easily. We have been in this spiral too as the Democrat party became the largest party in the country.
Thanks to a GOP House, it won't be a problem. There will be some constraint on social welfare and like expenditures. We're seeing it with reduced (properly) EUC length as unemployment rates dropped. Even though I expect EUC to pass in 2014, I would bet max weeks will be reduced significantly, and that is the prudent thing to do.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM

44,990 posts, read 59,979,707 times
Quote:
Except there are some who didn't make foolish choices.

In rural areas especially, when one industry after another, from manufacturing to mining to lumbering started to disappear in the 1980's the competition for the remaining jobs became intense. What was the result of that? Wage rates for those jobs stayed flat. When they left all that remained were jobs at the local truckstops as janitors or the same at the nursing homes. Many of those impacted didn't make "bad" choices but in reality did what they were supposed to: graduated high school, reported for their Induction physicals, etc. They then came back and got jobs which then left. The local power structures are not blameless, many of the "old" families did all they could to keep new businesses out. Things like a Cabela's or a Wal-Mart Distribution Center. Even a brewery, which was planned for a "dry" Township.

Some of us moved to where there were jobs, others didn't, for whatever reason.

Now, in 2014, many of those areas have the opportunity to get some good paying jobs back in lumbering or natural gas extraction (fracking). But, guess what? Many of the same people demanding the increase in the minimum wage are also the same people who are absolutely opposed to those types of industry. Even prisons are opposed.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks to a GOP House, it won't be a problem. There will be some constraint on social welfare and like expenditures. We're seeing it with reduced (properly) EUC length as unemployment rates dropped. Even though I expect EUC to pass in 2014, I would bet max weeks will be reduced significantly, and that is the prudent thing to do.

Well, the problem is not the politicians but the people. Bad people elect bad politicians.

We now have generations of liberals.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM

23,490 posts, read 23,835,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You clearly don't understand how our tax code favors the wealthy.
No, you just want to drag me into a discussion that I'm not interested in having within this thread.

So I guess the answer to the question is that yes, you use tax "loopholes", too.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM

23,490 posts, read 23,835,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
... no matter how you worked, you still couldn't make rent because they didn't pay you enough.
You have that wrong. You couldn't make rent not because "they didn't pay you enough," but because you're not EARNING enough. Can you understand that difference, Mrs. Business Owner?

Quote:
And, we're not talking about raising the minimum to $15 here.. we're talking only like $3.00 more!
40%. That's an ENORMOUS increase. As someone that owns a business, surely you understand that a 40% increase in your largest expense is not negligible...

Quote:
$15 is what I pay and for good reasons; all the reasons I pointed out.. it keeps my employees happy and motivated to do a good job.
You also said that you have to work "on the side" to keep your business going. I'm sure you'll understand why nobody's taking you seriously, considering that you admit to overpaying for labor when your business isn't even solvent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies