Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,635,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
WHY do people that have NO clue about running a business or economics post threads......

Companies WILL increase prices on their items to make up the wage hike. If its a small hike, sometimes they wont but( they will eventually tho ) if you go from 7.25 to 10.00 right away thats a big hit for everyone.

Thats 2.75 more PER employee an hour. Sounds like a small amount but do the math. If you have 5 employees working for you , 8 hours a day for 5 days a week. 4 weeks , thats an extra $2200 our of the owners pocket or income. This would be the low side of things too , since many people usually work over 8 hours a day and sometimes 6 days a week. Thats an extra 26K out of a small business owners income a year. This hurts the small mom and pop shops BIG TIME, the big corporations wont feel it as much and chain food restaurants.

The other problem is that most of you that cry about wanting more wage hikes probably have never run an actual business that employees people and pays rent , taxes, over head costs , etc. Just because a business reports sales of 1 million dollars doesnt mean the owner makes that much . I am in the business and i know of gas stations that that gross 3-4 million a year but their income for the year will be 100-150k . Now pay all the taxes and your personal bills at home and your down to not a whole lot of money. Just an example.
Remember back in the 1960s, you know, the era libs always point to as the good old days? We had most adult jobs as full time, and lots of teenagers employed part time, making less then the minimum wage. They were the ones cleaning your windshield, checking tiers, oil and pumping your gas at full service gas stations, or lighting the way to guide movie theater patrons to their seats. But every time government tries to "fix" things with new laws and regulations, the market reacts and we see fewer full time jobs, fewer niceties, more people working part time, and more unemployed teens.

The more these ignorant bureaucrats and politicians try to shape the market into their Utopian ideal, the more they warp the market into something neither the people, employees or their employers want. People want full time jobs, teens want part time jobs, and employers don't want twice as many employees working half as many hours, but that is what government is doing to the market.

So what is the answer to our current mess? Why, more government laws and regulations, of course. This is what Reagan meant by “government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.”

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,017,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you see that guy who used to make less than you, now make more than you, for doing the exact same job, you BET you'll expect more.
If it is the same job, shouldn't the pay be the same?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,561,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Self checkouts didnt gain popular because the cost of labor to pay someone to stand there was cheaper than the machines..
but as soon as someone whispered "wage increase" they got on the line and ordered a million of them?

Yeah right... the reason self check out became popular is because they were built.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,652,370 times
Urbanlife- READ post #42 ... You said NYC not all of NY , so please stay focused here. Anything out of NYC is cheaper.

69,368 posts, read 63,876,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
tens of thousands lost their jobs and no one reported on it? Not even the almighty Fox News reported this story because it didn't happen the way he describes or it probably never happened at all.
Right.. no one lost jobs due to self checkouts..

The guy operates 229 stores, if each store had 40-50 cashiers, (they are open 24/7), thats 10K jobs lost..
Quote:
what employer pays tens of thousands of employees who have ZERO worth? That's bad business.
Clearly checking out a customer holds value, or they wouldnt have any sales.

When they can replace them with a machine because the labor costs get too dam high, then people will..

Increase labor costs more, and you'll see even less cashiers.. You guys arent very bright.

577 posts, read 433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The purpose of a business is NOT to provide a living for their employees. When will liberals ever understand that?

And how is closing their doors helping anyone? Instead of a few getting laid off, everyone goes. Brilliant.

Oh please! The purpose of creating a business is to make a living yourself.. businesses help our society propel forward.. through EVERYTHING that it offers, employment, and the services and products it sells.

Raising hte minimum wage isn't going to "close the doors"... that's just a line of bull that executives feed you so that you'll take your meager freaking pay and shut up about it out of fear you'lll loose your job.

Salaries at the top have increased nearly 400% - but the wages of everything else HAS DECREASED With inflation..

that tells me that the "rising costs" are only being raised and FUNNELED to top managment.. It's just pathetic that they tell us that they have to lay us off or close the doors god forbid we make a little more money.. Had the gains from good sales actually gone to award the ENTIRE company and not just the "bosses" we'd all be a lot better off!

But that's okay. you keep being a sucker who watches the executives incresae their takings from the company and you continue to believe the line that if you're paid more you'll loose your job

eventually things will need to balance out. Unfortunatley, it's going to get very ugly before it gets any better.. it's building to explode and there will be a breaking point. Quite sad that many can't see it... and this will be the one time I really hope I don't get to say I told you so... but unless and until we all wake the hell up to it... well it's not going to change. That makes me sad....

Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
but as soon as someone whispered "wage increase" they got on the line and ordered a million of them?

Yeah right... the reason self check out became popular is because they were built.
And people used them. I remember when they first went in. No one went to them. Then eventually people with a couple items when the lines were long started going to them. Then eventually others started to go because it felt quicker, and now they are common in all grocery stores.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,876,867 times
Quote:

The order was already pending a wage increase..

When wages went up, the poplarity increased because the value of them became worth more.

Let me guess, you've never owned a business?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 AM

17,386 posts, read 11,902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The fact that employees could be replaced by NO ONE, indicates what their value was to begin with.
Exactly. I was chatting with an acquaintance this weekend, and she mentioned that she hates her current job. I asked a few questions and found out she was laid off from her government job 3 years ago, after she had worked there 27 years. She was lamenting that fact that she now gets 1 week of vacation instead of 5, and makes a fraction of her former salary. The takeaway I got was that her job was obviously either not important, or worth paying someone a lot of money with a lot of time off.

It became even more obvious that she was overpaid and unnecessary when she told me the job she currently does, which is the only one available with her skills - she replaces parts into refurbished electronics.

I've worked a few places where the owners decide to replace employees with technology. I've never had that happen, but I make darn sure I offer a value to them that cannot be replaced by a machine.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Urbanlife- READ post #42 ... You said NYC not all of NY , so please stay focused here. Anything out of NYC is cheaper.
I never said all of NY? Do you even know what the NYC metro is? Try to stay focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies