Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.

These are the flawed arguments many people make when they tell us the minimum wage at $7.25 an hour is just fine where it is.

Yes, few people make- to the exact penny- the amount of the minimum wage. But an ever increasing number of Americans who are supporting themselves, or even a family, are making close to the minimum wage.

AND

While years ago the minimum wage (or close to it) was designed to be for entry level jobs or for kids working part time in High School, this is no longer the case. Now days millions of Americans will face a life time of working in jobs close to the minimum wage. Yes, some of them will get promoted and live the American dream but as a greater percent of American jobs pay under $9.00 an hour, there will be millions of new close to minimum wage workers taking their place.

AND:

Why we can say these minimum wage workers should get their act in gear and learn new skills, in many communities the only jobs available are low wage labor that pay close to the minimum wage. And with the flood of immigrants with poor language and job skills, employers whose business model uses easily exploitable low wage labor is booming.

Raise the minimum wage now!

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 01-20-2014 at 04:38 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
So tell me.... how do you propose to magically make everyone's labor WORTH $10 an hour or more?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
No, minimum wage issue is about raising the wage so more taxes are paid to the federal government to pay for all of the increased welfare and governmental spending.

Simply raising someones wages, doesnt mean they are better off if the cost of everything increases, which it will, because it always does.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, minimum wage issue is about raising the wage so more taxes are paid to the federal government to pay for all of the increased welfare and governmental spending.

Simply raising someones wages, doesnt mean they are better off if the cost of everything increases, which it will, because it always does.
If the minimum wage is increased to $10.00 costs will not go up as much as the wage increase these hard working folks deserve.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
So tell me.... how do you propose to magically make everyone's labor WORTH $10 an hour or more?
That's what we, as a society, are doing.

By raising the minimum wage, we are using our judgement, our morality, our ethics... and deciding that if it's worth hiring a person, it's worth paying them X amount of dollars.

Because, you see, the free hand of the market don't have a brain, or judgment, ethics or morals.

And when we just rely on something as cold and harsh as that, we end up with things like child labor, and extreme poverty, or millions of people relying on the government.

Because we decided as a nation long ago that in a country of such wealth, letting people fall by the wayside is not a good option for anybody, rich or poor, but especially the middle class.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
FEW AMERICANS MAKE THE MINIMUM WAGE.

and

THE MINIMUM WAGE WAS NOT MEANT FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING A FAMILY.

These are the flawed arguments many people make when they tell us the minimum wage at $7.25 an hour is just fine where it is.

Yes, few people make- to the exact penny- the amount of the minimum wage. But an ever increasing number of Americans who are supporting themselves, or even a family, are making close to the minimum wage.

AND

While years ago the minimum wage (or close to it) was designed to be for entry level jobs or for kids working part time in High School, this is no longer the case. Now days millions of Americans will face a life time of working in jobs close to the minimum wage.
Why? What is it that will keep them at minimum wage, but their own actions (or lack thereof)? What is it they face that is different from previous generations?

Quote:
Yes, some of them will get promoted and live the American dream but as a greater percent of American jobs pay under $9.00 an hour, there will be millions of new close to minimum wage workers taking their place.
According to whom? Why would this be so? Can you point us to some facts, or credible industry source that would explain why this would be true?

Quote:
AND:

Why we can say these minimum wage workers should get their act in gear and learn new skills, in many communities the only jobs available are low wage labor that pay close to the minimum wage. And with the flood of immigrants with poor language and job skills, employers whose business model uses easily exploitable low wage labor is booming.
One is not chained to a post in one community. There is a thing called an automobile. It has wheels, and can go for many miles to take a person to a job outside the community where one lives. I used to drive from where I once lived in in Mira Mesa (San Diego) all the way to Escondido to go to work. Another job I had was in San Marcos, an even further distance from my home.

One goes where he has to to find work. It may be necessary to move to another city or state. We are a mobile people. This isn't the former Soviet Union (yet).

Raise the minimum wage now![/quote]

Raising the minimum wage is not a solution to our problem. What we need is economic growth, and that isn't happening under this administration because of policies that have the economy hamstrung. Obamacare is probably the biggest factor right now. Dodd-Frank is another.

Tell your Congressman you want both repealed, because you need work.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
You see, they confuse the worth of their labor with self-worth. I have seen by the comments one gets on this issue, that they immediately begin bashing anyone who suggests that they aren't worth $10/hour. They immediately equate this with self-worth. It's a tactic. That's what Leftist's do. It is one of the weapons in their arsenal of deceptions.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

We also hear the absolutely ridiculous argument that increasing the minimum wage will help the economy, because those people will have more money to spend, and will go out and spend it, buying more products, and thus helping the local economy!

One has to be pretty gullible to buy that meme! But they expect us to swallow it. The Democrats think we are that stupid.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
The fact that businesses can make so much money off of their labor tells us that these hard working folks are worth more money.

If you let the marketplace alone set wages you end up with more and more poverty that is going to be subsidized by taxpayers in the many social programs out there for the working poor.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Shut down the open borders and we'll cut off that supply of extra cheap labor.

Labor wages then will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies