Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times

Advertisements

I am a bit confused, do people not believe that employers who hire someone to represent them and whatever they are doing don't have the right to fire people who they think might harm their image or run afoul of their personal beliefs or the personal beliefs of their customers?

Seriously that is ridiculous I remember when I was a college kid working in a coffee shop and the owner, who was a woman, fired a co-worker for making a sexist joke to a customer. I cannot say I think there is anything wrong with that kind of firing. Employees especially in the service industry are there to represent their employer and that employer has a right to control the image his or her company presents so if they don't like your politics or your piercings or whatever they should not be obliged to retain you.

Last edited by Egbert; 01-21-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I find it funny you only identify the actress as a california hispanic...and never mention her by name. Do you even know who she is?

Seems you are far more concerned about the Tea Party aspect of the story than the actress.

Don't worry, the Tea Party will weather this strom.

The nerve of this intolerant actress to oppose "what we believe"!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Is that why she was booked to do a popular show in San Francisco?
Obviously, she was hired long before she blew herself up by stepping onto a tea part minefield.
Plays are not movies; they require long rehearsal time before the performance is ever opened to the public. Like any job, there's time off, and Alonzo used some of hers to kill what's left of her acting career.

Too bad, too. The Vagina Monologues have revived many an actresses' fading career, including Margo Kidder's, who was, for a long time, considered by Hollywood to be as crazy as a peach orchard boar. Alonso was never thought to be crazy on her prime; the play had the potential to do her a lot of good for a long time, and she blew it, so maybe she's suffering late-onset crazy. I don't think she's gonna get any future jobs from the teabaggers.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 AM

62,868 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Obviously, she was hired long before she blew herself up by stepping onto a tea part minefield.
Plays are not movies; they require long rehearsal time before the performance is ever opened to the public. Like any job, there's time off, and Alonzo used some of hers to kill what's left of her acting career.

Too bad, too. The Vagina Monologues have revived many an actresses' fading career, including Margo Kidder's, who was, for a long time, considered by Hollywood to be as crazy as a peach orchard boar. Alonso was never thought to be crazy on her prime; the play had the potential to do her a lot of good for a long time, and she blew it, so maybe she's suffering late-onset crazy. I don't think she's gonna get any future jobs from the teabaggers.

Why should one's political beliefs have anything to do with this? They are teapartiers not "baggers". Just what do these Latinos object to about the Teaparty? Oh gosh, they want respect for our borders and immigration laws. Oh the horror! Since when is any ethnic group above those laws?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
P.ss off your audience, lose the box office. That's market economy - I thought you liked that?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why should one's political beliefs have anything to do with this? They are teapartiers not "baggers". Just what do these Latinos object to about the Teaparty? Oh gosh, they want respect for our borders and immigration laws. Oh the horror! Since when is any ethnic group above those laws?
Political beliefs should not play a part, but they do with a lot of things these days.
Since the teabaggers called themselves that term first, I always thought they liked it.
Partiers sounds worse to me; partiers were the dropout stoners who got loaded out behind the field lockers before they left school, with big plans to amount to nothing when they grew up. Party down, dude, if that's your preference.

Since I'm neither Latino or Hispanic, I'm not the one to ask as to why Latinos object to the tea party.
Don't you spend a lot of time in the illegal immigration forum? If so, you probably already know who to direct this question to.

I have no idea who is horrible or what is horrible. Or if any ethnic group is above the law or not. Please enlighten me.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM

41 posts, read 28,770 times
Hello. Long time reader, first time poster.

As for the topic of the thread this is what the Actress had to say :

"They were saying they were going to burn down the theater, they were going to boycott [the
show,]" Alonso told Fox News.

The actress said she dropped out of the production so the controversy didn't eclipse the show.
"This is a thing for me," she said, noting her cast-mates "don't have to go through that."

So she wasn't fired, but had to resign to remove any threats and controversy. Spin it how you want to liberals but that is what happened. The "tolerant" ones strikes again.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
1.It never states her name.

2 . This is not about the Tea Party, this is about a person who was forced to resign because they supported a different view point. Way to miss the point oftthis this thread.

What if this was turned around? What if she supported things that you like, such as gay marriage or gun control or occupy wall street? And what if she got fired and Blacklisted for supporting those things? You would be rallying behind her and you know it. Why the double standard?
Phil Robertson comes to mind. I wonder what he had to say about THAT issue?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
She has chosen a career in which her livelihood (and value to her employer) is based on the willingness of an audience to come and see her.

She has a publicist, for god's sake.

We all make choices.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I don't know what you believe so I can't speak to any part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies