Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:20 AM

1,438 posts, read 775,450 times

Advertisements

I always wondered why the conservative elites chose to live in New York and L.A. instead of places like Alabama and Oklahoma with their conservative brethren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM

3,557 posts, read 4,085,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I always wondered why the conservative elites chose to live in New York and L.A. instead of places like Alabama and Oklahoma with their conservative brethren.
And be surrounded by the low income uneducated people they prey on yet don't give a **** about?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,761,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
my guess he likes the elite NYC scene too much.
Oh, THAT's why he's leaving.

The leftist fanatics are making as much sense as usual.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM

3,557 posts, read 4,085,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Oh, THAT's why he's leaving.

The leftist fanatics are making as much sense as usual.
I said if he doesn't leave. As usual, the righties cant read English.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
This story is just more proof that so-called "tolerant" liberals are the most intolerant people on earth.
Yeah--absolutely--scientific proof. Oh, forgot extremist conservatives don't believe in science.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
The headline should be 'Conservatives twist words as usual, and Sean Hannity has a hissy fit.' Please please do not let this idiot move to Florida--there are already enough crazies and dimwits here. He is probably just talking Fla because he is freezing and wants to hang with Rush, but is too wimpy to admit it.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Sean Hannity to Leave New York After Andrew Cuomo's Anti-Conservative Rant

New York's loss is Florida's gain. Hopefully all the liberals left in New York get to pay even more taxes to make up for all the tax revenue Cuomo just drove out of the state.
Too funny. Cuomo told conservatives: "Get out of my state!" Conservatives fire back: "We can and we will!" On the plus side for Hannity, Republicans are on the verge of securing one more vote in a critical swing state . I think instead of "extreme conservatives" Cuomo should have talked about those "severe conservatives". After all, Mitt Romney self-identified as "severely conservative" (we all know he wasn't one, but why spoil the fun?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The headline should be 'Conservatives twist words as usual, and Sean Hannity has a hissy fit.' Please please do not let this idiot move to Florida--there are already enough crazies and dimwits here. He is probably just talking Fla because he is freezing and wants to hang with Rush, but is too wimpy to admit it.
How have his words been twisted? Below is what he said in context, with emphasis added by me (source):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Cuomo
You have a schism within the Republican Party. … They’re searching to define their soul, that’s what’s going on. Is the Republican party in this state a moderate party or is it an extreme conservative party? That’s what they’re trying to figure out. It’s a mirror of what’s going on in Washington. The gridlock in Washington is less about Democrats and Republicans. It’s more about extreme Republicans versus moderate Republicans.

… You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

If they’re moderate Republicans like in the Senate right now, who control the Senate — moderate Republicans have a place in their state. George Pataki was governor of this state as a moderate Republican; but not what you’re hearing from them on the far right.â€
He says "extreme conservatives" "have no place in the state of New York", and says "extreme conservatives" are people who are against abortion, against gun control, and against gay rights. All three are conservative positions that the overwhelming majority of conservatives adhere to (the first two somewhat more so than the third). How is it twisting his words to say "Cuomo says conservatives have no place in New York" when he says that "extreme conservatives" who adhere to conservative positions on those issues (nearly all conservatives do so) have no place in New York?

For the record, while I think it is in very poor taste for a Governor to tell a big chunk of the public he's supposed to be serving to get out as if the state belongs to him, I also think he's giving sound advice. There are better places for conservatives to live, and New York would be better off without the right-wing moralizing/social control mentality that menaces the state. Now, a lot of that is perpetrated by so-called moderates that Cuomo praises (e.g. Bloomberg), but perhaps a conservative exodus would tip the balance in favor of personal freedom. At least one can hope so .

I do think that conservatives are making more of his comments than they deserve, but it's not as if liberals haven't done the same thing. Imagine if Governor Bill Haslam of Tennessee* said something like this:

Quote:
You’re seeing that play out in Tennessee. … The Democratic Party candidates are running against the Health Freedom Act** — it was voted for by moderate Democrats who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Republicans; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme liberals who are pro-abortion, anti-Second Amendment, anti-voter ID? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme liberals, they have no place in the state of Tennessee, because that’s not who Tennesseans are.

If they’re moderate Democrats like in the Senate right now, who control the Senate — moderate Democrats have a place in their state. Phil Bredesen was governor of this state as a moderate Democrat; but not what you’re hearing from them on the far left.
Don't you think liberals wouldn't make a lot of fuss over that comment, about its implications for how the Governor serves the public, about his intolerance for other points of view? They might even try to say it had racist overtones. And with the exception of the last one, I think they would have a good point, just like conservatives have a good point here.

*I chose Tennessee because in Presidential elections it votes 20-30 points redder than the national average, and New York is 20-30 points bluer. Tennessee also had a moderate Democrat as Governor in the last decade, has a conservative Governor now, and has a dysfunctional Democratic party, all three of which make Tennessee a good foil for New York.

**The Health Freedom Act I cited is a hypothetical de facto nullification of Obamacare, which would make a good foil for the SAFE Act. The SAFE Act was drastic action taken by the left wing of the gun control debate, and the Health Freedom Act would be equally drastic action taken by the right wing of the Obamacare debate.

Quote:
And be surrounded by the low income uneducated people they prey on yet don't give a **** about?
There are hordes of low-income uneducated people in New York and Los Angeles, as well as in every state. On the other hand, there are enclaves of predominately high-income educated people in all 50 states. The exact balance between the two, as well as the composition of each group, varies quite a bit depending on the state. My point is that there are plenty of affluent educated people outside of New York, and outside of the blue states.

Last edited by Patricius Maximus; 01-21-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM

57,009 posts, read 25,978,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Here you go:

Escape From New York? High-Taxing Empire State Loses 3.4 Million Residents in 10 Years | CNS News

The predictions are that this year Florida will pass NY in population, meaning NY will fall to the 4th place in population.

Normal people are leaving every day. Between 2000-2010, those normal people took 20 Billion dollars in income with them out of the state of NY. Insulting people and telling them they don't have a place in the state isn't smart for a governor whose state is losing income tax payers.
Yes just looking at population losses, you would expect the 3rd largest state to have a larger number and there are a lot of reasons. Fla is growing because many NY residents retire because of low taxes and climate. Still the net population increased and they are right in the middle as far as growth.

Normal people leave every day but no one with any intelligence would leave due to a statement by a governor, Hannity is not in the normal category. I also seem to recall Hannity stating that US citizens were leaving the country for Great Britain and other countries in record numbers back around 2010 because of Obama, funny guy.

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,923,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes just looking at population losses, you would expect the 3rd largest state to have a larger number and there are a lot of reasons. Fla is growing because many NY residents retire because of low taxes and climate. Still the net population increased and they are right in the middle as far as growth.

Normal people leave every day but no one with any intelligence would leave due to a statement by a governor, Hannity is not in the normal category. I also seem to recall Hannity stating that US citizens were leaving the country for Great Britain and other countries in record numbers back around 2010 because of Obama, funny guy.

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
You liberals just don't know when to stop putting your feet in your disingenous mouths, do you?

So now anyone who moves to a state that is more aligned with their personal and political beliefs is unintelligent? That's precious. Pot meet kettle.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM

7,443 posts, read 5,707,939 times
Quote:
Wage slaves? Is that why per capita income is lowest in red states?
Take a look at the color of the states deepest in debt then correlate that back to outrageous union/government wages and benefits. Liberals are not good stewards with their neighbors money and they don't have any of their own money so it's not hard to see why blue states are train wrecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies