Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Has someone taken T-310's hand and gently explained to him that the exchanges are venues for private insurers to offer their services?
I know what they are for.

I won't use one. I have my insurance outside of the exchanges, more affordable, tailored to me and what I need and not what was deemed necessary by the idiot and his minions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please refer to anywhere, on the exchange, in the law, anywhere, where it tells purchasers of insurance that they have to cancel through the ACA website.

It's a marketplace, like E-Bay or Amazon, where you purchase something. Have a problem with the purchase, you contact the SELLER.
She Did contact the seller, who told her she had to cancel through the exchange, which is how she did cancel with the seller's help.

"Asked for comment on Hill's travails and what protocol should be for individuals having trouble getting out of an Affordable Care Act plan, a spokesman with the Department of Health and Human Services pointed back to the hotline.

"Consumers should call the Marketplace consumer call center for assistance at 1-800-318-2596," the spokesman said."

She did what she was supposed to do.
--------------------
Look at the law, you say ? Looking at the law, I'd think all those non-grandfathered 'junk' policies were cancelled, large employers were covered on 1/1/14, there's a federal exchange website for small employers, and who knows how many other things that were delayed, cancelled, changed.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you bought your plan from BCBS. She got hers through the Exchange.
BCBS told her to cancel on the exchange first.
And you haven't cancelled yours have you ? This process is full of misinformation, disinformation and missing code.

What part of "BCBS told her to cancel on the Exchange first" don't you get ?
No, I bought my plan from BCBS through the exchange.

When you buy an insurance plan through the exchange, you are buying FROM an insurance carrier.

And BCBS didn't tell her she had to cancel on the exchange first. They merely told her she needed to cancel the plan she'd previously purchased.

There is no misinformation, disinformation. Missing code or faulty code I agree is part of the website. But the basic fact is when you purchase an insurance policy, and decide to cancel it, you contact the insurance carrier, and follow whatever instructions the insurance company provides. You don't go to Amazon to cancel your membership in the wine-of-the-month club.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I know what they are for.
Goodie! Then you know there's no such thing as "getting covered by Obamacare", and that means you've learned something since typing the headline. Yay!

[quuote]I won't use one. I have my insurance outside of the exchanges...[/quote] Well, good. They're not obligatory, you know.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
She Did contact the seller, who told her she had to cancel through the exchange, which is how she did cancel with the seller's help.

"Asked for comment on Hill's travails and what protocol should be for individuals having trouble getting out of an Affordable Care Act plan, a spokesman with the Department of Health and Human Services pointed back to the hotline.

"Consumers should call the Marketplace consumer call center for assistance at 1-800-318-2596," the spokesman said."

She did what she was supposed to do.
--------------------
Look at the law, you say ? Looking at the law, I'd think all those non-grandfathered 'junk' policies were cancelled, large employers were covered on 1/1/14, there's a federal exchange website for small employers, and who knows how many other things that were delayed, cancelled, changed.
Where do you see that she contacted the company she'd originally purchased insurance from? Her new company told her she needed to cancel the old policy. They may have told her she would also have to let the ACA website know of the cancellation. And instead of contacting that company, she spent weeks trying to get the marketplace to do something they don't do. OOOOOhhh, the frustration. Finally she went to her new company, and, voila! Because she's evidently too stupid to read her old policy or to contact them and ask them how to cancel.

She didn't do what she was supposed to do. Because most idiots can figure out that if you want to cancel your insurance, you contact the insurance company. If you want to cancel your wine club membership, call the wine club. Don't call Amazon, and try to get them to do it for you. Because they won't.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Goodie! Then you know there's no such thing as "getting covered by Obamacare", and that means you've learned something since typing the headline. Yay!

[quuote]I won't use one. I have my insurance outside of the exchanges...
Well, good. They're not obligatory, you know.[/quote]
They are obligatory, or you get fined for not complying.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well, good. They're not obligatory, you know.
They are obligatory, or you get fined for not complying.[/quote]

You have no clue.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
They are obligatory, or you get fined for not complying.
You have no clue.[/quote]
Neither do you.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wonder if they just stop paying if it hurts their credit history.
That's what I was thinking - just stop paying. That will get their attention. She can repair her credit history later if need be.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
That's what I was thinking - just stop paying. That will get their attention. She can repair her credit history later if need be.
She set up an auto-draft payment system, so the insurance company was just drafting payments automatically out of her account. She could have contacted her bank and blocked it, but she doesn't even know how to call an insurance company and find out how to cancel a policy, so getting an auto-draft blocked might have been beyond her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies