Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_Days2345 View Post
The article mentions why, but many that work outside of public health don't understand why prevalence rates are so important. Prevalence rates refer to the number in a given population with a certain ailment. If for example, gay blacks account for a very small population but out of say, 100 gay black men, 90 have HIV, this means that the likelihood is high that when you have sex with a gay black man, you will be at increased risk for sleeping with someone who is HIV positive, since the pool of HIV infected individuals is so large.

Gay blacks and whites are similar to hetero blacks and whites in that most rarely have sex with other races. This means that gay black men have their own tiny community of sex partners and a huge number of gay black men are positive. Also, many of the infected group are not on any antiviral medication so they are especially at increased risk to pass on HIV during sex, since HIV people that are not on medication often have very high viral loads.
Yup. That makes sense. A smaller sexual network will result in more rapid transfers of the virus. Especially for people who are poor. I can see how that would result in higher infection rates across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Yup. That makes sense. A smaller sexual network will result in more rapid transfers of the virus. Especially for people who are poor. I can see how that would result in higher infection rates across the board.
Not if you don't do what you know that causes it.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not if you don't do what you know that causes it.
As I said, nature has a way of weeding out the idiots.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Aye, except you noted they are, in fact, using safer sex. Something is making this happen. I get your point; Blacks and Hispanics are idiots. Why do you think they are more idiotic than others. That's what I'd like to hear from you.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That is a mean thing to say. I'm still not exactly seeing what your definition of an idiot is. Care to be more specific?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Aye, except you noted they are, in fact, using safer sex. Something is making this happen. I get your point; Blacks and Hispanics are idiots. Why do you think they are more idiotic than others. That's what I'd like to hear from you.
When people engage in idiotic behavior, it makes them idiots and thus they tend to cancel each other out.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
As a gay black male I thought I would give my 2cents.

Many lgbt blacks have not always been informed on how to take care of themselves and new prevention methods.

I would say that 90 percent gay black men I've met over the past 5 years are HIV positive. I wouldnt know that unless they disclose the information. So that leads me to believe black men are more open about their status now then they ever been.

As far as black men being invisible to the mainstream, there are many things going on within the gay community as a whole. Many blacks both gay and straight are appalled at the branding "gay is the new black". Discrimination of sexual orientation is totally different than discrimination based on skin pigmentation. Sure prejudice of any kind can lead to problems but they are two totally different beast.

Another issue within the gay community is racism. Living in Chicago for the past 6 years has opened my eyes to the issues we have. I've also heard horror stories of discrimination coming out of NYC, San Francisco and Dallas as well as many other big cities.

I've noticed gay black men have their own culture like the straight people do. That's why so many black men flock to Atlanta. That's why we have gay black pride. We want to celebrate our lives our way.

This is just a short summary of why gay back men are invisible when it comes to the media.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Many lgbt blacks have not always been informed on how to take care of themselves and new prevention methods.

I would say that 90 percent gay black men I've met over the past 5 years are HIV positive. I wouldnt know that unless they disclose the information. So that leads me to believe black men are more open about their status now then they ever been.

As far as black men being invisible to the mainstream, there are many things going on within the gay community as a whole. Many blacks both gay and straight are appalled at the branding "gay is the new black". Discrimination of sexual orientation is totally different than discrimination based on skin pigmentation. Sure prejudice of any kind can lead to problems but they are two totally different beast.

Another issue within the gay community is racism. Living in Chicago for the past 6 years has opened my eyes to the issues we have. I've also heard horror stories of discrimination coming out of NYC, San Francisco and Dallas as well as many other big cities.

I've noticed gay black men have their own culture like the straight people do. That's why so many black men flock to Atlanta. That's why we have gay black pride. We want to celebrate our lives our way.

This is just a short summary of why gay back men are invisible when it comes to the media.
This is something that is true and definitely contributes to the smaller sexual networks that was brought up earlier in the thread.

I live in Atlanta (white gay guy), and I notice that there is a sub-culture within the gay community here that caters to the black men. They have several of their own bars and clubs that they frequent and while you can usually find a handful of white and Hispanic guys in the crowd it is overwhelmingly black. I go sometimes and have fun though.

I have only been to these places a few times with friends, so I am not too sure of what the awareness of HIV is in that community. In the majority-white gay bars and social circles HIV risk is discussed frequently. When I first came out my very first sex partner taught me everything about how to keep yourself safe from disease. Maybe this type of thing doesn't happen as much with black LGBT people.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And although the deniers will come out (and I'll be called a homophobe) the reality is that male homosexuality among Blacks and Hispanics is not an acceptable behavior so many are in the closet (or the "down low", whatever).
I wouldn't call you a "homophobe" but "blacks and Hispanics" who acknowledge their " Homosexuality" aren't the ones dying from "AIDS".
It's the "brothas" on the "down Low" who are & that includes Hispanics as well.
White "closet" cases is no longer taboo but Minorities still have to face the "Social stigma"

Another point is that a good portion with HIV are no longer " Homosexuals"! Lets talk about the HIV infection rate amongst Women.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

They have for at least the last 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies