Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have noticed one central theme to this thread.

Its a liberal lovefest all wanting to get high.
Only problem I have with legalizing weed is how do you test somebody driving under the influence of weed? That needs to be addressed. Same driving laws need to be applied. If so let it loose. How do you test it though is the question. Nobody has an answer they just all want to go get stoned and say oh well hey stoned drivers drive slower and laugh. It's not really a joke IMO.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Only problem I have with legalizing weed is how do you test somebody driving under the influence of weed? That needs to be addressed. Same driving laws need to be applied. If so let it loose. How do you test it though is the question. Nobody has an answer they just all want to go get stoned and say oh well hey stoned drivers drive slower and laugh. It's not really a joke IMO.
Administer field sobriety tests, doesn't matter what type of drug you are on, if you are impaired as a result of a substance you will fail at least one test.

In other words, a cop doesn't test for every single drug, too costly and not efficient, they just test for substance induced impairment, doesn't matter what drug you used, if you are impaired you are getting a DUI.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM

DUI they have a breath test. How does one determine if somebody is high and what is the penalty? A cop can't just say hey I smell weed and then charge you with whatever. There has to be some kind of test and penalty. Impaired driving is not the same consequence as DUI. If not then the roads are free game.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM

520 posts, read 596,998 times
Quote:
You have identified one very significant problem, and one that cuts both ways. Metaboloids can stay in your system for days, and so blood tests (or, I presume, urine tests) can falsely point to impairment for people who may have imbibed a few days in the past. Of course, actual immediate impairment is also a problem.

We definitely need to come up with better testing.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that legalizing is likely to work better in places with good public transportation, where you can just step into the metro, or bus and not have to worry. Maybe that's why it works reasonably well in Amsterdam?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
DUI they have a breath test. How does one determine if somebody is high and what is the penalty? A cop can't just say hey I smell weed and then charge you with whatever. There has to be some kind of test and penalty. Impaired driving is not the same consequence as DUI. If not then the roads are free game.
Breath test is not necessary for a DUI. Impaired driving as a result of substance use is a DUI.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
You have identified one very significant problem, and one that cuts both ways. Metaboloids can stay in your system for days, and so blood tests (or, I presume, urine tests) can falsely point to impairment for people who may have imbibed a few days in the past. Of course, actual immediate impairment is also a problem.

We definitely need to come up with better testing.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that legalizing is likely to work better in places with good public transportation, where you can just step into the metro, or bus and not have to worry. Maybe that's why it works reasonably well in Amsterdam?
That is my point. Alchohol leaves the system in a day or less. Weed can hang around for a while. If this is to ever make hay there has to be some sort of test to come up to take care of this. If not then you are basically free to drive around stoned on pot with no ramifications because your lawyer just says well hey he smoked yesterday.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
That is my point. Alchohol leaves the system in a day or less. Weed can hang around for a while. If this is to ever make hay there has to be some sort of test to come up to take care of this. If not then you are basically free to drive around stoned on pot with no ramifications because your lawyer just says well hey he smoked yesterday.
You can get a DUI without a chemical test.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Breath test is not necessary for a DUI. Impaired driving as a result of substance use is a DUI.
What?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
What?
You don't have to pee or blow to get a DUI, simple enough for you.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM

So that is the defense the stoners are going to put out? LOL

How do you convict someone of DUI without any evidence other than the cop said he was weaving? That isn't DUI that is just bad driving. Are you folks insane? I guess so. Go smoke a blunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies