Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
1.) Tavis and Cornel West seem to think the gov't can easily eradicate poverty which it can't do. Gov't can only alleviate poverty with saftey nets and this is government's role. The other role is with individuals and how they manage their money along with their educational goals.

2.) The biggest problem with most Black communities is that Blacks don't own enough businesses in those communities and not enough Blacks invest their money.

Tavis and Cornel both would come out better promoting the need for more business ownership among Blacks to get the Black spending dollar circulating several times before it leaves the community. Currently the Black spending dollar doesn't circulate once before leaving most Black communities simply because there aren't enough Black businesses in those communities. This keeps Black unemployment and poverty higher than they should be.

Also financial literacy needs to be better promoted in Black communities. Blacks as a group aren't as poor a many believe. You name a product and Blacks probably spend a billion dollars on it a year. It's just that Blacks need to better prioritize how we spend our money. I see a lot of Blacks wearing expensives clothes,having fixed up cars with rims and loud a$$ stereo systems but how many of them have savings accounts or other invested money?

Again this is what Tavis and Cornel need to be trying to correct. You can't blame Obama for this.
I'll relay an anecdotal story: My wife has a Facebook account, and once in a blue moon i'll take a gander at it. I noticed the other day there is this "52 week savings plan" idea taking root in social media, where people are challenged to save $1 this week, $2 next week, $3 the following week, and so on for 52 weeks. If the person sticks to the plan, they'll have $1,378 at the end of the 52 week period. What surprised me the most were the number of people who were "giddy" over being able to so easily save money, and were generally looking forward to having that $1,378. Ironically, the most giddy were some of her black acquaintances.

My perspective? What an unfortunate place we find ourselves as a society. Happy over $1,378 at the end of a year? That's all???? Very telling indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A friendly reminder: Bush was responsible for the economy under his watch, and under Obama's watch as well. Obama is not held responsible for the economy....he get's an 8 year free pass.

At least if you ask the slobbering liberal left.

Queue the "Tavis Smiley is an Uncle Tom" response in 3.....2.....1.....
Tavis is no Uncle Tom, he just does not give the President a pass. I don't given anyone a pass either, so I can relate to his moral compass. I think Tavis hates the fact that President Obama has been been too concerned about offending the white majority in this country to engage in progressive politics. Yes, not progressive enough, contrary to the deranged notions of wild eyed liberalism charges from the lunatic race-obsessed right. ...And the President does have to fear offending whites..doesn't he? Just look at the vile hatred that stinks up this forum.

The issue I have with Tavis is that he is not facing the reality that the white majority is just renting out the whitehouse. They will never, ever let this president run this country in any normal way a president should be able to. Unprecedented gridlock in Congress, blocked nominations, intimidations, insults, put downs, disrespect (YOU LIE!)....filibusters at an all time, unprecedented high during this admin.

So this is the reality that Tavis is not coming to grips with. That said, I too have some issues with his sucking up at times to adversaries who just straight up can't stand the air he breaths and do not want to get along with hime or compromise in any freaking way.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Tavis is no Uncle Tom, he just does not give the President a pass. I don't given anyone a pass either, so I can relate to his moral compass. I think Tavis hates the fact that President Obama has been been too concerned about offending the white majority in this country to engage in progressive politics. Yes, not progressive enough, contrary to the deranged notions of wild eyed liberalism charges from the lunatic race-obsessed right. ...And the President does have to fear offending whites..doesn't he? Just look at the vile hatred that stinks up this forum.

The issue I have with Tavis is that he is not facing the reality that the white majority is just renting out the whitehouse. They will never, ever let this president run this country in any normal way a president should be able to. Unprecedented gridlock in Congress, blocked nominations, intimidations, insults, put downs, disrespect (YOU LIE!)....filibusters at an all time, unprecedented high during this admin.

So this is the reality that Tavis is not coming to grips with. That said, I too have some issues with his sucking up at times to adversaries who just straight up can't stand the air he breaths and do not want to get along with hime or compromise in any freaking way.
The problem with Tavis is that he seems like he won't be satisfied until Obama eradicates poverty in America. Good luck...

Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Poor blacks, Hispanics,and whites have all suffered under the scourge of liberalism. The money all goes to DC, the richest place on earth and trickles back to the poor. Now there is your trickle down economics. I'm glad Tavis Smiley finally took note but he's a little late to the party.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So blaming the government for your economic standing is ok now???
When it's largely their fault it is.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

Here's what I'm talking about. This lack of Black businesses and it's effects were a problem long before Obama came along.

What Happened To Black Businesses? - YouTube
This is one thing NO ONE has considered. While Black businesses do exist, more are needed. Everyone wants to blame this one "how Blacks vote". Consider this. While alot of Blacks voted Democrat in 1980 and 1984, more Blacks voted for the Republican candidate(Reagan) than they did in the last 4 elections. In the 1980s, Black unemployment rates were much higher back then. In short, it really doesn't matter who Blacks vote for, because neither party is really doing any good. The Asian population voted for President Obama in high numbers. One thing to consider is the relatively high amount of business ownership among many Asian groups.

Blacks have been doing worse than anyone else in the nation, and how one votes has had nothing to do with it.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post

1) Unprecedented gridlock? Not a chance. Study up on history would be my recommendation.

2) Blocked nominations - I assume you think this is unprecedented too? Not a chance.

3) Intimidation? Who has intimidated the President? You should tell us who, what, when, and where.

4) Insults? Who has insulted the President? More importantly, name a President who hasn't been "insulted" by the other side. It sounds like you're either running short on memory or just ignorant.

5) Disrespect - Joe Wilson's proclamation that Barack Obama was lying was actually true. We now know that the President was in fact lying. What's your problem with disprecting a known, habitual liar?

All I see in your post is a lot of unsubstantiated hyperbole.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is one thing NO ONE has considered. While Black businesses do exist, more are needed. Everyone wants to blame this one "how Blacks vote". Consider this. While alot of Blacks voted Democrat in 1980 and 1984, more Blacks voted for the Republican candidate(Reagan) than they did in the last 4 elections. In the 1980s, Black unemployment rates were much higher back then. In short, it really doesn't matter who Blacks vote for, because neither party is really doing any good. The Asian population voted for President Obama in high numbers. One thing to consider is the relatively high amount of business ownership among many Asian groups.

Blacks have been doing worse than anyone else in the nation, and how one votes has had nothing to do with it.
The reason why liberal policies fail, is because they assume the master minds in government can shape and control our vast and complicated capitalist system, and create prosperity.

The way to prosperity is to treat everyone the same, thru tax and regulatory policies that promote economic growth and give people confidence so they will feel secure enough to plan for the future and invest in themselves, their businesses and the economy. These policies must also give foreign investors the confidence to invest in American businesses too.

The Obama admin has done nothing but create instability with erratic policies. They make no sense and create insecurity, erode confidence and encourage investors to hold onto their money in this unstable economy. Obama exacerbates this by playing loose and cavalier with our laws, the ever changing ACA is a good example of this.

Just look at Obama's policies. Every new policy he proposes involves government picking the winners and losers, rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies. Targeting the lucky few for wavers to laws and regulations, taxpayer funded subsides, loans, and handouts, is all he does, and it's nothing but crony capitalism, favoritism.

The enemy for Obama's entire presidency has been US domestic energy producers and the so called "rich." The enemies of Obama are those producing fossil fuel energy, the life blood of this economy, and the business owners who provide jobs, products and services. Is it any wonder our economy has been stagnant for five years?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The reason why liberal policies fail, is because they assume the master minds in government can shape and control our vast and complicated capitalist system, and create prosperity.

The way to prosperity is to treat everyone the same, thru tax and regulatory policies that promote economic growth and give people confidence so they will feel secure enough to plan for the future and invest in themselves, their businesses and the economy. These policies must also give foreign investors the confidence to invest in American businesses too.

The Obama admin has done nothing but create instability with erratic policies. They make no sense and create insecurity, erode confidence and encourage investors to hold onto their money in this unstable economy. Obama exacerbates this by playing loose and cavalier with our laws, the ever changing ACA is a good example of this.

Just look at Obama's policies. Every new policy he proposes involves government picking the winners and losers, rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies. Targeting the lucky few for wavers to laws and regulations, taxpayer funded subsides, loans, and handouts, is all he does, and it's nothing but crony capitalism, favoritism.

The enemy for Obama's entire presidency has been US domestic energy producers and the so called "rich." The enemies of Obama are those producing fossil fuel energy, the life blood of this economy, and the business owners who provide jobs, products and services. Is it any wonder our economy has been stagnant for five years?
Sounds like every other administration. No one has ever been treated the same in this country, and liberalism has had nothing to do with that. Look back down the annals of history.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Completely ignored the second part of his statement...

SMILEY: Let me answer your question very forthrightly. No, they are not. The data is going to indicate sadly that when the Obama administration is over, black people will have lost ground in every single leading economic indicator category. On that regard, the president ought to be held responsible.

But here's the other side. I respect the president. I will protect the president. And I will correct the president. He's right on this government shutdown. Republicans are thwarting the rule of law with the Constitution. If they let this debt go into default, they're trampling again on the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies